UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> wrestling is hard

7/13/11 1:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
john joe
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only Magazine

god damn this shit is difficult

i cant hit a clean shot on anyone except total noobs

shoot - get sprawled on - fail

repeat for hour, go home

got a couple of throws down, and some front headlock stuff, but my leg attacks must be slow as fuck, mega-telegraphed or both.
7/13/11 3:18 PM
ChipW
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/13/11 3:18 PM
 Me to.  Main thing is to not give up when they sprawl.  The knee slide is your friend.   Keep driving forward trying to turn the corner.  If that dont work, tripod up, fight off the front headlock and start again from your feet.  Im just learning too.  Sure is fun though.  
7/13/11 3:20 PM
john joe
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only Magazine
ChipW -  Me to.  Main thing is to not give up when they sprawl.  The knee slide is your friend.   Keep driving forward trying to turn the corner.  If that dont work, tripod up, fight off the front headlock and start again from your feet.  Im just learning too.  Sure is fun though.  

i like to slap the mat and swear, followed by making excuses about my knee or the energy of the room not being right. Then i storm off and kick the vending machine. Its really bringing my game on.
7/14/11 11:26 AM
westleyyys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shoot reshoot reshoot reshoot and reshoot. Try repeating the drop step after the initial shot so that you can suck the legs to you. Phone Post
7/14/11 12:47 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Work more on your handfighting
7/15/11 3:10 PM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe you are forcing shoots like anyone does when they start with freestyle. Like Gokudamus said, work on your hand fighting, feints and stuff like that to setup a good shoot.
7/18/11 4:44 PM
uglee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aganisty good wreslters the hand fighting head postion and set ups are absolutely crucial to succeas your shot may be really good but if your not setting it up right then it wont matter
7/21/11 2:22 PM
thePetester
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any good dvds or you tube videos? I am trying to drive this point home to my son. But I 'only' have signifigant judo experience, and limited wrestling experience. Plus, he is 14 and I am his dad, so I don't know anything right now. (Handfighting is the same as gripfighting in judo in it's importance.)
7/22/11 7:44 AM
The Persian Devil
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan Gable has a series out that are very good. Also check out Kolat youtube page with tons of techniques.
7/22/11 9:21 AM
john joe

Fighters Only Magazine
The Persian Devil - Dan Gable has a series out that are very good. Also check out Kolat youtube page with tons of techniques.

i like kolats vids but he kinda goes through them fast too, i think you'd need a bit of a wrestling base already to get the most from them
7/22/11 11:39 AM
ChipW
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/22/11 1:41 PM
 Check out John Smiths (head coach Oklahoma State)DVD's.  He is the most technical wrestling coach ive ever seen, which makes it easy to learn from his DVD's in my opinion. 
John Smith's "Set ups and tie ups" address hand fighting in detail. 

Also Jeff Ragan(coach at the Citidel) has some really good DVD's.  He doesnt show it in any videos but he messes around with Jiu Jitsu as well. 

7/27/11 11:34 PM
DaddyO4
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drill,drill,drill.
7/28/11 6:06 AM
john joe

Fighters Only
its mad this; i had the worst session of my wrestling life on tuesday, scored literally not a point, and yet the previous session i was on fire, with the same training partners.

i have ups and downs in other arts i practice but not like this; i felt tired going in and i just didnt have it in me to attack i felt; i had no energy and it just made me scared to do anything coz there was fuck all in the tank

i have days like that in boxing and MT too but i can coast through still, i know little ways of doing it but this wrestling, man its a tough game.

i fuckin love it though, definitely my favourite training at the moment. I am detrmined to get half decent, if it kills me
7/31/11 9:24 PM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As mentioned above, the one thing you need to recognize is that shots are most successful off of set-ups, especially from tie-ups, hand-fighting, and so forth. Try controlling a wrist (inside wrist control) and move your partner's arm towards one side or the other before moving in with a shot. 

- - - They are called "shots" people, not "shoots." Shooting in is when you lower your level. The result is that you took a "shot." It's a double entendre - shot meaning both "shooting" and the "chance" at a takedown.
8/3/11 5:38 PM
godwillingbro

I am a noob to wrestling, however I have been 'wrestling' my brother and cousins my entire life, doing judo and wrestling guys from HS and colleges in Judo and BJJ for a long time.. From what i have learned from my training.. against good guys when you're a noob, it is hard to get a double or single from a shot. They will usually just stuff your head and circle out with hip pressure or what have you.. I changed my tactics overtime and now my best technique is the duckunder..when you successfully do a duck under it leaves you alot of options, you can dump the guy forward by ankles, pick a single, a high crotch, a double from the side, a reverse belly to back suplex and all kinds of other shit..the main thing is getting the guy to the mat, even if you drag him down. It doesn't have to be a pretty picture-esque single or double shoot.

Here is a couple duckunder tutorial tips from some of the worlds best wrestling coaches and competitors. Give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YAIyB5Vmlg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeyZJpKEK1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egoYeiGReSk&feature=related
8/3/11 5:54 PM
john joe

Fighters Only
godwillingbro - the main thing is getting the guy to the mat, even if you drag him down. It doesn't have to be a pretty picture-esque single or double shoot.

great point
8/4/11 9:21 AM
ChipW

I'm with godwillingbro on the duck under. Duckunder, drag by's and throw by's are all good and you don't have to change levels Phone Post
8/5/11 11:00 AM
Go on and walk it out

The set ups are everything brother.
8/17/11 3:00 AM
uglee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one more thing the reality is clean shots are rare aganist good guys. Not saying that shouldn't be the goal but when your first attack fails you can't allow that to frusrate you. If you don't manage to get a leg try to follow up with another shot right away sometimes a high aggersion leval can cover some deffencies in techenique. If you do get in but not clean and can't finish be prepared to switch off and try another type of finish this can be much more effective then doggadly trying to finish in a way thats being defended.Also learn to run the pipe on singles it's very effective and not used as much as it should.
8/17/11 3:39 PM
john joe

Fighters Only
good advice, thanks man

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.