UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Forging a viking Axe (video)

7/13/11 3:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Einar
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/13/11 3:59 PM

http://youtu.be/LQaaS71yfvM

Jim Austin shows how he forges a viking age bearded axe with inlayed edge steel.  

www.youtube.com/watch  
7/13/11 4:04 PM
Einar
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/13/11 4:20 PM
Einar

Some examples of axes he's made.

7/13/11 4:23 PM
Einar

Edited: 07/13/11 4:23 PM
Two large war axes. These have 9.25" and 11.25" cutting edges respectively, and would have been purely weapons for battle, mounted on 5-6 foot hafts.

Note how thin the blades are to keep the mass down, making them fast and deadly weapons. Most people have a misconception that such weapons were really heavy, but they only weigh about 1.5 - 2 lbs each. With the hafts, they will be heavier of course.

7/14/11 7:45 AM
El Rafa
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

very cool vids. I often wonder when I see real handmade products how much of the knowledge/skills have been lost to the use of modern tools.
7/14/11 1:48 PM
Einar

Edited: 07/14/11 3:04 PM
El Rafa -  very cool vids. I often wonder when I see real handmade products how much of the knowledge/skills have been lost to the use of modern tools.

I think quite a lot of the methods of manufacture have been lost, simply because its not the fastest and most practical way of doing things anymore. Unfortunatly, tradition often has to take a back seat to ease and speed of production. I know of a few smiths who love to research the old ways though, going to museums and handling the pieces, examining period weapons to find out excactly how they were made and then trying to follow in the old timers footsteps.

But it takes a special kind of client with very deep pockets to commission, say, a sword made as traditionally as possible when he has to pay two or three times the price for the smith to do that. 

Edit: Heres a thread over at Don Fogg's forum where Jim shows many pics of his different processes for making axes. A lot of interesting discussion on how things were done on originals as well. 
forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php

7/14/11 6:20 PM
El Rafa
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just checked it out. very cool thread. I've been wanting to take a smithing course for a while, and this is definitely motivation:)
7/14/11 7:19 PM
Einar

Edited: 07/14/11 7:21 PM
El Rafa -  just checked it out. very cool thread. I've been wanting to take a smithing course for a while, and this is definitely motivation:)

If you live in the UK, Owen Bush (one of the smiths on that forum) has week long courses on swordsmithing. You turn up, pay to work your ass off for a week (sweet deal, huh?), and end up with a sword that you made yourself. (with help from owen of course) He really, REALLY knows his stuff. I have handled some of his weapons personally.

If you check out my thread on the viking sword, Owen is as good or better than the guy in the video.  
7/21/11 1:17 PM
paw
1562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

very cool.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.