UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> I'm looking to start training...

7/14/11 5:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DoubleBagger
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 16, 5'6, I weigh about 118lbs. I'd say I'm quite athletic, but I'm very lean and don't have nay muscle at all. I've had several bad expereinces with injuries in the past, shin splints and torn ankle tendons which have healed wrong, meaning my ankle is basically swollen for life. I play football (soccer) at a pretty high level, but I want to give it up to pursue my dream of being a pro mma fighter.
Is it realistic to start training now? If so, what martial art should I go with and does anyone know any good gyms in the north west area of the uk?
7/14/11 7:24 AM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1) At 16, ANYTHING is still possible so get in there!

2) At 16, you have NOT played soccer anywhere near a high level

3) At 118 lbs, the only people in your weight class will be the ring girls so start lifting and eating!
7/14/11 12:42 PM
BshMstr
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at your age, i agree that you're at a great age for training...

i think first off, make sure you take care of your joints, and continue prehab/rehab for your ankle.

since you're still in school, i'd suggest looking into the wrestling team or intramural boxing team....these will be a lot cheaper than MMA, and still do a great job of teaching you the basics.

7/14/11 12:54 PM
DoubleBagger
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.
7/16/11 3:46 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DB are you in the UK? if so where? I might be able to recommend some very good muay thai gyms.
7/16/11 11:49 PM
pcuzz
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your young and in the UK, learn to wrestle....
7/18/11 2:12 AM
DoubleBagger

Bull_in_chinashop -  DB are you in the UK? if so where? I might be able to recommend some very good muay thai gyms.

I live in Preston.
7/18/11 2:13 AM
DoubleBagger

pcuzz - Your young and in the UK, learn to wrestle....

Thats actually top of my to do list
7/19/11 5:51 AM
Zoeyerin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey if you are interessed, there is a great special week ( all day, 10h-21h) of intensive training in all kinds of martial arts : all kinds of boxing, mma, wrestling etc.and physical conditioning.
It's directed by a few world champions so it would be a good chance to start off your career with correct basics.
Plus since it's abroad, it would be a great vacation.
Email them at panza.gym@sfr.fr or panzagym@free.fr for more info!
It's also possible to sleep there so don't hesitate to inform yourself!
http://www.alsace-sportdecontact.fr/index.php/prochainement.html
9/26/11 5:22 PM
Jayd
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train MMA and BJJ in Blackpool and one of the trainers holds classes in Preston as well. Google Sukata MMA and have a look at the website. Phone Post
10/1/11 9:59 AM
ElTriangulo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaveM - 1) At 16, ANYTHING is still possible so get in there!

2) At 16, you have NOT played soccer anywhere near a high level

3) At 118 lbs, the only people in your weight class will be the ring girls so start lifting and eating!

at 16 you can play football at a high level i have friends that play high level football at that age with the professional teams' youth squads so you can play it at a high level.
10/1/11 10:53 AM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope
10/10/11 3:01 PM
zaiontz

10/10/11 3:02 PM
zaiontz

Is 18 too late to start training
10/12/11 1:25 PM
kawsy4209

Your the perfect size weight and age for muay Thai..plus you okay soccer so your kicks should be great Phone Post
10/14/11 1:36 AM
bonez05

Everybody wants to be a pro athlete at 16. There is no money in mma. Do yourself a favor and concentrate on school. That's what will pay the bills. You'll be surprised how your priorities will change in the next ten years. That said what you decide to do dedicate yourself fully to it and take no prisoners. Good luck
10/14/11 3:42 PM
kawsy4209

Bones your right but I think everyone should train..get in shape and just compete for fun you know?..shit you would be suprise how many people train these days and what people know..if a street fight breaks out I'd rather have experience atleast Phone Post
10/14/11 9:53 PM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

go for it.. check out cagewarriors forum, thats uk based adn will plug you into the scene
10/14/11 9:53 PM
sly fox

go for it.. check out cagewarriors forum, thats uk based adn will plug you into the scene

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.