UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> knee locking, after minor hamstring tear

7/14/11 9:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TrevorRice
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My knee locks after i bend it completely and put weight on it, such as in butterfly guard (for BJJ guys) or knee on belly. I have no pain and if i lay on my side and straighten the leg it go back into place.

Has anyone suffered from this and what is the best way to resolve the problem. I have never had this happen to me and seems to have happend after i had a minor tear in my hamstring. Currently, my hamstring feel strong but my knee will lock and then unlock.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
6/10/13 9:06 AM
TrevorRice
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/13/13 12:42 AM
martinburke
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It sounds like it could be a Baker's cyst. It can result from meniscal tears, cruciate ligament tears(both of which you could have incurred in your hamstring injury; swelling could have eventually become fibrotic and became a Baker's cyst), rheumatoid arthritis, gout, osteochondritis dissecans, and osteoarthritis, the last producing the largest majority of cysts.

It sometimes produces a large mass on the posterior medial aspect of the knee, but it may not be large enough to be visible. A physician can confirm with MRI, ultrasound or arthrography.

7/20/13 10:25 PM
BrianASF
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been dealing with a similar problem for a long time. In my case it was from a meniscus tear. I've had three surgeries so far to try and fix it and it still locks up. The first one was a repair and then a revision after the repair failed, both in 2009. Finally earlier this year I had a partial menisectomy to remove about 50% of my meniscus. My knee still locks up but I mostly feel it on the inside and back of my knee, and it doesn't take as much force to pop it back anymore.

Like martinburke said above, I would try and see if you could get an MRI on your knee to check it out. The last MRI I had the doctor said my meniscus looks like the bottom of an old pair of Levi's, all shredded. I'll probabaly have another surgery in the near future to remove the rest.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.