UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> 50k debt to debt free as of today!

7/15/11 7:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Road Warrior Fin
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/15/11 7:51 AM

Oh this hurt but felt so freaking good.

Background: Bought into the "buy a house = successful", bad roomies, nice guy to a girl shit, two job losses, moved to another state to only be let out of a contract 4 months into it all about 3 years ago.  I've killed 30k of debt in the last year and today I finally killed the last and biggest piece at 20k today.

It feels so gooooooooooooooooood.

I'm working in Saudi right now, no rent, no car insurance, no cell phone bill - I only pay for food.  My house is rented out and I only lose 200/month on it after association fees and have no other bills at home.  I live in a house with a friend that charges me 300/month and I have a car that is paid for I pay only 35/month on.  I have my cell phone paid for by my company and I work from home so the gas bills are minimized greatly.  My total cost of living aside from gas/food is under 600 a month even with the mortgage hemmorage and my houses value is 25k above my payoff and I'm hoping the next two years help.

Nothing is going to feel better than look at every paycheck I get now and knowing that if I want to blow a few grand - I can and I won't have to worry about debt any longer.

7/15/11 5:35 PM
Road Warrior Fin
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it bad that I have this heavy urge to spend some money now?  damn it!
7/16/11 3:15 AM
Road Warrior Fin

Robert P Hansson - 
Road Warrior Fin - Is it bad that I have this heavy urge to spend some money now?  damn it!

Live within your means, bro. Prepare for a time when money may not come as easily.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way but what do I do with 6-7k a month and I'll have about 40k in the bank when I'm done working in Saudi Arabia in a few more months.

I contribute a nice load to my 401k - I just don't know anything about doing short-term investments or getting into it any of that stuff.  I'm 30 years old, single.
7/16/11 9:32 AM
HEMAN
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Road...awesome...I have considered working overseas for a year to pay off all my debts. How is it in Saudi?
7/16/11 9:47 AM
Road Warrior Fin

HEMAN - Road...awesome...I have considered working overseas for a year to pay off all my debts. How is it in Saudi?
Saudi has been pretty good to me - I don't spend any money - the compound I'm am at is safe, fun and has a nice gym and a little bjj/mma club I'm a part of.

If you go to Iraq/Afganistan - I hear they are actually alright if you never leave base and stay on the big boy bases and not anywhere like Camp Leatherneck.

7/16/11 10:46 AM
HEMAN
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Road...that's awesome bro...congrats...I'm headed to Basra for 2 to 4 weeks. Will be staying next to the airport.
7/16/11 2:55 PM
Road Warrior Fin

Robert P Hansson - Fin you're prior AF, right? I remember you were going in right before me about 6 years ago or so. I'm getting out soon and hoping to be a contractor for one of the major DoD contractors. What company are you with? Any tips?

1. Secret or Top Secret - By far the biggest piece
2. Network with the contractors on base to the point of being annoying.  Annoying but friendly people are not forgotten.
3. Be open to getting your contacts while you take your first job over in the Gulf if all else fails

Two main netoworks inside the DoD field I've found.

1. General / Adm network - They all know each other and many of the retired ones have opened disabled veteran shops.
2. Special Ops/Rangers/etc., - They all have their special little click but if you are GOOD and know what you are doing and won't have anyone in the backchannels talk shit about you, you could very well get on with that side as well.

I don't think you have as good of a chance to get on with the big boys like SAIC/GD/ITT - Those fuckers are stringent - Your best bet is the smaller subs out there.

7/18/11 11:56 AM
LiveWire
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good job man. Wait till you get back to stateside before you start spending anything.
7/18/11 4:27 PM
Road Warrior Fin

LiveWire -  Good job man. Wait till you get back to stateside before you start spending anything.

I really don't have much of a choice, heh - unless I start mail ordering shit and there are some nice looking watches.  Must not....doeiiiiitttt.
7/19/11 9:13 PM
LiveWire
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wealthy Barber is a good book. Simple read. Like "The Richest Man in Babylon" can probably find them both on line for free.
7/20/11 3:34 AM
Road Warrior Fin

Edited: 07/20/11 4:11 AM

I've been up on Dave Ramsey's stuff - is it investment, financial planning, etc.,?

Most financial books I've read usually apply to people with families, life insurance, etc., - is it still applicable to a single guy?  I was reading some of the reviews on Amazon, seems to be taken pretty well.

I think I have some ideas now and I needed to think about some of this stuff.  I'll try to see if I can pick up the book.

7/28/11 7:01 PM
Cookie Monster
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AWESOME! Proud of you.
8/6/11 5:46 PM
SJFou
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best book ive read yet, especially for young people (wish I read it when i was 17) is the "Barefoot Investor" by Scott Pape.

He markets to what the author calls it before MMM - Marriage, mortgage & midgets - though his advice can relate to anyone. You can get the basics of his strategy on his website:

http://www.barefootinvestor.com/6-step-money-plan/

Or find his book on Booko.com
3/4/12 1:34 PM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good job. I paid off a 100k debt, felt awesome. Don't go back to your old ways, become a saver/investor.

Once debt free I put my debt payoff resources towards saving & investing. I'm still debt free but I have 4 mos savings, 401(k)/IRAs are filling up, bought a house and saving to buy another house as a rental. I have *zero* money worries, feels awesome.
10/6/12 8:35 AM
clean livin'
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just reading through these money posts and re-read this one.

Solid respect, dude. I am debt free now...completely, as of 2 months ago. Trying to sort out what to do next.
1/16/13 10:23 AM
ThePigpen
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/16/13 10:31 AM
Congrats man, I just sat down with my wife and made a plan to pay off all of our credit cards by the end of the year. We're both two years out of grad school and started our own businesses after graduation so a lot of the money we wanted to put towards our CC's went into business start up. Now we're hell bent on paying them off.<br /><br />Just ordered the Wealthy Barber too, thanks for the recommendation guys. (For $4 used on Amazon)
1/16/13 10:54 PM
Road Warrior Fin

Robert P Hansson - 
Road Warrior Fin - 
Robert P Hansson - Fin you're prior AF, right? I remember you were going in right before me about 6 years ago or so. I'm getting out soon and hoping to be a contractor for one of the major DoD contractors. What company are you with? Any tips?

1. Secret or Top Secret - By far the biggest piece
2. Network with the contractors on base to the point of being annoying.  Annoying but friendly people are not forgotten.
3. Be open to getting your contacts while you take your first job over in the Gulf if all else fails

Two main netoworks inside the DoD field I've found.

1. General / Adm network - They all know each other and many of the retired ones have opened disabled veteran shops.
2. Special Ops/Rangers/etc., - They all have their special little click but if you are GOOD and know what you are doing and won't have anyone in the backchannels talk shit about you, you could very well get on with that side as well.

I don't think you have as good of a chance to get on with the big boys like SAIC/GD/ITT - Those fuckers are stringent - Your best bet is the smaller subs out there.

Interesting how things change. I'm with GDIT and SOCOOM and in a few, I'll be ready to move on beyond them.

Yeah.

How did I miss this? Heh

I have some new stuff in the shoots, Next for me is to live OCONUS (Not middle east) and try the euro/japan life for awhile.

Good stuff man!

1/29/13 4:07 PM
disbeliever
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I just paid off 27K in debts. All I have left that I owe is my home.

Feels nice
1/29/13 4:21 PM
disbeliever
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Wes_Mantooth - 
disbeliever - I just paid off 27K in debts. All I have left that I owe is my home.

Feels nice

The feeling when you finish paying off your mortgage is orgasmic. Go for it.

I'm in a shitty situation. Don't want to be in the home I have, but am 30k upside down at the moment

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.