UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Revgear 10oz Thai gloves

7/18/11 1:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/18/11 1:13 AM

This review is on Revgear's 10oz hook and loop Muay Thai boxing gloves. Before I roll into the review I want to thank Aaron for sending these gloves out. Check out www.martialartssupplies.com or if you own a school or just want loads of gear check out the wholesale site www.zengu.com . So without further adieu, here we go!

Initial Impressions: These gloves are the first piece of equipment from Revgear I have used. Revgear is a company based out of California and has been around since 96', Revgear is also the manufacturer for all Bad Boy gear. These Gloves are all leather and have a hook and loop wrist closure. They are a Thai style glove and I would say they are more like a Fairtex training glove than say Twins or Windy. First thoughts are that the glove seems sewn together pretty well; I have seen some mixed feelings about Revgear but after looking them over nothing really negative stands out about this pair/model.

Construction: As I said before these gloves are leather which is always a better choice than synthetic materials when it comes to gloves. The gloves have a clean simple look, black w/ a white palm. The leather is stretched tight over the foam and is thicker than I expected. The stitching on the palm is doubled up and uses larger than average sized thread for strength. There is no loose or unraveled stitching on the palm. The palm also has the standard Thai style holes for air flow. The thumb is attached with a small piece of nylon webbing as opposed to a piece of leather like you see with Twins gloves. Inside the glove there is a thick piece of material at the fingertips to help reinforce the leather. The inside of the glove is lined with a soft nylon material that stops where the wrist closure meets the glove. The wrist closure is double stitched to the rest of the glove and is all leather as well. I mentioned that the gloves bare a close resemblance to the Fairtex training gloves, but some differences are that this glove has a little bit of a wider wrist and the leather seems a bit softer. Also the pad for the edge of the palm is not quite as thick as the one in the Fairtex glove. This glove is well made though and does not seem as if it will fall apart any time soon.

Fit and Performance: These gloves are 10oz so they are not very large. When I first put them on I struggled a bit. The gloves are VERY, VERY tight. I am 6 ft tall and weigh 200-205 lbs depending on how my krispy kreme addiction is going. I have larger than average hands for my size but I would not consider them massive. There was no way to put these on with wraps at first. Once the gloves were on I repeatedly opened and closed my hands for what seemed like a lifetime. I will mention that I was able to open my hand quite a bit and also make a solid fist. I spent some time watching Man vs Wild and pulling and stretching on the palm area of the gloves to make them more accommodating. After a couple of days I was able to wear some 120" wraps with them and was comfortable enough to hit the bag and do some mitt work. These gloves were okay for me on the bag, the wrist support is what you would expect from a Thai glove. It’s decent, but not as good as a western style glove. However the short cuff is for ease of clinching so with that you have to give up a little support. Some like smaller gloves for bag work and some don't so that would come down to preference. Hitting the mitts was much better for me; I like small gloves on the mitts as opposed to large ones. The gloves offer good protection on the knuckles but keep in mind they are 10oz so if you like lots of knuckle padding then I would go with a bigger size. These would be considered fighting weight so I would not recommend them for sparring unless your partner is just a badass.

Final Opinions: Overall this is a pretty good glove, I think it is better suited to someone with smaller hands than myself though. I have been using them for a couple of weeks and they have broken in well but are still on the tight side. Like I said in the previous section I really like smaller weighted gloves for pad work and that is what I am primarily using them for and they are still doing great. When I hit the bag I like to go as close to full power as I can go most of the time so I prefer bigger gloves for that. I also prefer a western style glove for the bag, but that is me. Several guys I train with love Thai gloves on the bag so that is going to be a personal preference. These gloves have performed every bit as well as my Twins or my old Fairtex. As far as longevity goes, like with all gear time and use will tell. I am real happy with these gloves though and would definitely recommend them. If you are in the market for Thai style gloves and dont want the hefty Fairtex price tag then give these a look. And if 10oz gloves aren’t your thing .......Go bigger!

7/18/11 1:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Throwdowns are 16oz Everlasts and Ring to cage are 14oz and the Twins are 12oz

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.