UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rich Franklin: UFC not interested in me at 185

7/18/11 9:36 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Rich Franklin, despite his build and natural body type, has seen his last days in the middleweight division.

"The UFC basically has told me that they're not interested in having me fight at 185 anymore, which is the only reason why I made the move to 205 in the first place. So rather than being stuck in this no mans land at 185-pounds, at least being at 205 I can work towards the title or something like that."

185 is Franklin's natural weight, and of course where he won the UFC world championship. However, Anderson Silva's demolition of "Ace", twice, has effectively sealed the division off for him.

Read entire article...

7/18/11 9:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Mammoth
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Ace does ever get into title contention it would be pretty damn funny for Anderson to show up at 205 again and fight him

*troll face* Problem?
7/18/11 9:41 AM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poor Franklin - his career's legacy may stand out more as 'The guy who could beat everybody but Anderson Silva' than 'former UFC middleweight champion'.

Seriously, once the retrospectives on this era of MMA begin does Franklin hold a special place for things such as the legendary 'Franklin weight' and for the idea of a guy being 'the Rich Franklin of a division' (ie Jon Fitch, Kenny Florian, etc.)?
7/18/11 9:47 AM
K-Dub-"T"
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disrespectful of them not to officially create the Franklinweight division.

FREE 195!!
7/18/11 9:55 AM
awilson82
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought before he had said the cut to 185 was getting tougher as he got older and he didnt perfrom as well.
7/18/11 10:08 AM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awilson82 -  I thought before he had said the cut to 185 was getting tougher as he got older and he didnt perfrom as well.

More than likely that was just smoke to make it look like the weight class change was his idea.

I think Franklin has gotten screwed over a bit by the UFC in regards to his future in either division.

Im always a fan though.
7/18/11 10:10 AM
K-Dub-"T"

THey're doing the same to BJ Penn at 170......
7/18/11 10:12 AM
Domingo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's the old issue of having rematches too quickly.
You get stuck in a situation where a top fighter is stuck with nowhere to go.
Granted, 185 has been a division devoid of consistent talent, so Rich's rematch wasn't as bad as some.
It's still possible that Franklin's the #2 guy at 185 in the UFC. His only losses were to Silva, Belfort, and Hendo (in a fight that could've gone either way).
I can see him beating the other guys, but Silva will have his number forever.
7/18/11 10:15 AM
lkfmdc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He can beat everyone at 185 EXCEPT Anderson, thus a problem for UFC
7/18/11 10:33 AM
OriginalTUFer

They're protecting MW's from Rich.
7/18/11 11:17 AM
kottusch

lmao @ "at least being at 205 I can work towards the title or something like that."

that "or something like that" sounds really optimistic
7/18/11 11:33 AM
Jmunzies
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's realistic. He's said many times he's close to the end of his career.
7/18/11 12:27 PM
awilson82
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimonos Revenge - 
awilson82 -  I thought before he had said the cut to 185 was getting tougher as he got older and he didnt perfrom as well.

More than likely that was just smoke to make it look like the weight class change was his idea.

I think Franklin has gotten screwed over a bit by the UFC in regards to his future in either division.

Im always a fan though.
Not trying to argue with you and you may be right as well but I think I recall alot of people saying he was really grumpy on weigh in day @ 185 too.

7/18/11 12:43 PM
Trapezius

Edited: 07/18/11 12:52 PM
Penn is not in between weight classes.

He should be at 145.
7/18/11 12:45 PM
Rebound59

Interesting. On one hand he says it's the UFC's idea that he not fight at 185 anymore but on the other hand he describes it as a no man's land. So, it sounds to me like he agrees with them that moving to 205 was a good idea. All in all, there's nothing surprising about it.
7/18/11 1:08 PM
Cann
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He could be the middleweight divisions gatekeeper for people to get title shots. Or he could try to make his way to fight for the title at 205.
7/18/11 1:11 PM
KneeToFaceKo

That's too bad. I would love to see him retire Bisping but oh well.
7/18/11 1:13 PM
DiscoNfrno
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Franklin, but he's not going to fare ANY better against Jon Jones if he were to make it that far.
7/18/11 1:16 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awilson82 - 
Chimonos Revenge - 

Im always a fan though.
Not trying to argue with you and you may be right as well but I think I recall alot of people saying he was really grumpy on weigh in day @ 185 too.

Im sure he was. He cut a lot of weight to make 185. Doesnt mean he wouldnt still be doing it though for top fights, or another chance at the belt.
He has a great shot at beating everyone else in the division, except Anderson.
Wasnt the Vitor fight at a catch weight? And then Vitor gets a title shot off that win?
Kind of bullshit, if you ask me.
7/18/11 3:12 PM
Hellenke11er

Why do people say make a 195 pound class? Silva would easily beat the guys at that weight sincce he can win at 205 and 185, it would be nice to see some fighter fight at what try really should fight at but it doesn't mean Franklin would become a champ again, and I'm mo silva fan but he would run through "franklinweight". Phone Post
7/18/11 4:03 PM
NYmmanow265
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strikeforce could use him and the only reason he's not at 185 in the ufc is because he'd beat alot of up and comers and silva wouldn't have any body new to fight
7/18/11 4:10 PM
The Notorious OMG
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trapezius - Penn is not in between weight classes.

He should be at 145.

BJ was looking slow and drained at 155 his last couple fights there, 145 is not the answer.

cutting weight is harder on some fighters' genetics than others, he didn't grow up in a wrestling environment with weight cutting implanted into his DNA like Maynard, Miller, Edgar, Guida, Sherk etc
7/18/11 6:00 PM
dahosse
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Franklin vs. Jones would be a wrestlefuck, face-smashing slaughter. And I like rich a lot. I really like him at 185. Such a bummer that the champ does everything right to make ace beating him a faint hope. Phone Post
7/18/11 6:13 PM
Gullivers Travels
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is why they should wait to do rematches. When they have them so close together, if one fighter (especially the one the promotion wants to win) loses twice, it essentially kills their career at that weight. Still, I don't see why he can't just fight at 185 and give us some good match-ups until Anderson retires or loses.
7/21/11 8:00 AM
dahosse
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a fan of the immediate rematch, either. Even if the fight's not clear-cut, fighter's careers are too short for them to be fighting the same guy 3 times over 2 years. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.