UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> What Do You Learn While Going For MBA

7/18/11 10:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LukeCranson
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are you supposed to learn while working toward an MBA?
7/27/11 5:04 PM
Cookie Monster
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, quite alot actually. You will develop and refine your ability to work in small groups and accopmplish a goal or execute a project, likely with some asshole or someone you don't get along with or agree with (which believe it or not is a very valuable skill). I put on dozens of presentations which was a really good experience. You will learn to generate, use, and manipulate pertinate financial data. You will learn to develop a sophisticated business model. You will gain a more advanced knowledge of pretty much anything finance and business related (as compared to undergraduate study). Presenting case studies on current developments, products, methods, etc. are a wonderful way to get a real working knowledge of the actual cutting-edge state of whatever it is you are studying.

Most of all, I believe grad school teaches you how to teach yourself something you had no concept of before. Hope this helps.
8/5/11 6:08 AM
Jambo888
506 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

depends on your focus but you should get at least the basics of:

finance
accounting
project management
marketing
product management
marketing
operations design

and hopefully:

ethics
negotiation
cultural issues
strategy
business leadership
innovation

I heard it said an MBA is a mile wide and a foot deep.
9/10/11 8:41 PM
homsian
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/10/11 9:11 PM
<blockquote>Jambo888 - <br />I heard it said an MBA is a mile wide and a foot deep.<br /></blockquote><br /><br />That is an understatement. =). It also depends on the school. All schools will have a fundamental core which consists of organizational behavior, statistics, corporate finance, marketing, accounting, operations, and strategy. <br /><br />Some business schools have a general management degree, i.e. no concentrations while other schools have concentrations where you can focus on a particular area such as finance.<br /><br />Luke, I think a better question is what are you trying to get out of business school? Do you have an undergraduate business degree? Does your job require you to obtain the degree to get promoted?
9/10/11 10:03 PM
LukeCranson
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

homsian - <blockquote>Jambo888 - <br />I heard it said an MBA is a mile wide and a foot deep.<br /></blockquote><br /><br />That is an understatement. =). It also depends on the school. All schools will have a fundamental core which consists of organizational behavior, statistics, corporate finance, marketing, accounting, operations, and strategy. <br /><br />Some business schools have a general management degree, i.e. no concentrations while other schools have concentrations where you can focus on a particular area such as finance.<br /><br />Luke, I think a better question is what are you trying to get out of business school? Do you have an undergraduate business degree? Does your job require you to obtain the degree to get promoted?

No, don't have a degree but I am envious of the prestige and respect that an MBA commands
9/16/11 9:47 AM
BigWilliam
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will learn how to take irrelevant information and call it data and then make a wild guess and call it a decision. Then you learn how to stick with this 'decision' inspite of all evidence that it was entirely wrong so that you appear to have 'direction' to your underlings.
10/17/11 9:22 PM
BIG CHAD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jambo888 has arm-barred the correct. I never heard it put "a mile wide and foot deep", but that is SSSSOOOO true. It is alot of team work. You will have a team of 4-5 people to do the team assignments. It is much more theory and business strategy than it is memorization, with 4-5 accounting classes thrown in as well on how to interpret financial statements. It is alot of work, but it is "applying yourself" work, and not think "thinking really hard" work. I'm half way thru my MBA at Penn State and have really enjoyed it (grad Dec 2012). Like I said, much more theory than rope memorization.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.