UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Bow people - I have rabbits

7/19/11 8:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DarthChoke
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay. I know nothing about bows.

I live in So Cal on 1/2 acre in a suburban community. I have tons of rabbits that are eating my grass, veggies, etc.

I bought the quietest pellet gun I could find. It is loud, very inaccurate and cost around $200.

It is frustrating because I know I am a very consistent shot with a real gun so I know this is more the pellet gun than me.

...so I thought, maybe a compound bow. I will need to practice a lot, but its much quieter.

Could you give me a recommendation for a compound bow $200 or less that is reliable? What I mean is, accuracy depends a lot on me, the shooter, but I want to make sure there is not a fault in the bow, or components itself that throw off the accuracy on every shot .... like it is with my pellet gun.

So, long story longer. I need a quiet way to kill rabbits. I do not want to spend $400+ on a bow. I am willing to practice. What say you?
7/21/11 1:07 AM
Muppetmower88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i say buy a crossbow on craigslist sight it in and no more rabbits.
7/21/11 1:09 AM
Muppetmower88

or get a cat either one will take care of the rabbits
7/21/11 12:02 PM
Byrd

buy a puma, cats are gay
7/22/11 1:34 AM
PeterIrl
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry, but I thought of this.

Are you just culling or are you going to eat them?
7/22/11 2:03 AM
DarthChoke
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just trying to keep my grass and garden intact. Not interested in rabbit stew. Phone Post
7/22/11 2:07 AM
PeterIrl
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should be, it's delicious!

Roast rabbit covered in bacon strips, with roast root veggies is also full of win.
7/25/11 5:50 PM
dunc
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

darthchoke, I sent you two pm's. are you not getting them?
7/26/11 12:48 AM
DarthChoke

dunc - darthchoke, I sent you two pm's. are you not getting them?
Hmmmm I don't think so. On iPhone now- I'll check later.

Darthchoke@gmail.com Phone Post
11/21/12 1:00 PM
antifret

Why not use traps or a better pellet gun? Think those would be better than trying to bow hunt them.
11/21/12 9:37 PM
DarthChoke

antifret - Why not use traps or a better pellet gun? Think those would be better than trying to bow hunt them.
Wow, old thread.

I didn't realize my gun just plain sucked! I bought a better gun (pellet) and it consistently nails the buggars. Has a big scope and rarely misses. Usually drop where they are hit. Even nailing the bigger nuisances..... Ground squirrels. Phone Post
11/22/12 9:32 AM
jscorbett
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What type did you end up with?

I bought a Gamo hunter extreme. That SOB is louder than a .22.

A neighbor bought a Gamo whisper. If he is shooting in his backyard, I don't know it.
11/22/12 12:46 PM
DarthChoke

jscorbett - What type did you end up with?

I bought a Gamo hunter extreme. That SOB is louder than a .22.

A neighbor bought a Gamo whisper. If he is shooting in his backyard, I don't know it.
It's a Gammo Whisper. It's NOT quiet but maybe it's me being paranoid and thinking its louder than it is. I usually try to shoot from inside through my back slider for stealth and not to piss neighbors off.

My favorite ammo is a pellet that has a BB on the end. I forget the brand/name. It's real heavy and does the job quick with the varmints. Phone Post
12/27/12 7:54 AM
Altofsky
513 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing wrong with the rifle, bud.

You're holding it wrong. I did it starting out too. You can't hold those things like a .308

Here's why:

I started using the artillery hold and now I shoot single hole groups from my Gamo with ease.

12/27/12 6:55 PM
DarthChoke

Altofsky -

You're holding it wrong. I did it starting out too. You can't hold those things like a .308

Here's why:

I started using the artillery hold and now I shoot single hole groups from my Gamo with ease.

Thanks for the video. Since buying the Gammo I have VERY little problem. The shitty gun I had before was the problem gun. Phone Post
12/27/12 8:17 PM
Altofsky
513 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DarthChoke -
Altofsky -

Here's why:

Thanks for the video. Since buying the Gammo I have VERY little problem. The shitty gun I had before was the problem gun. Phone Post
Good deal. Ive got the .22 big cat and that thing has some serious stopping power. My first springer though so i was gripping it tight at first and wondering why my groups were all over the place. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.