UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Pellet gun - IZH 61

7/19/11 8:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DarthChoke
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So this gun was rated on PyramidAir as very accurate with high ratings in most of the categories.

The accuracy is VERY inconsisent.  I am pretty confident it is not me.  I shoot very accurate with real guns, pistols, rifles.  I am not pulling or bouncing.  Seems like every shot throws off the accuracy.

Any recommendations for an ACCURATE and CONSISTENT pellet gun for killing rabbits that are ruining my yard?

I cannot shoot anything more powerful than a pellet gut.  Honestly, I could probably get in trouble for even shooting a pellet gun if someone wanted to turn me in.

Thanks for any advice!
7/20/11 3:50 AM
JackFunk
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Darth,

I almost bought one of those, that gun should be super accurate, but I seem to recall some issue with the newer plastic magazines. The older ones were metal.

It seems that the plastic ones were allowing the pellet to shift slightly, causing the odd flier.

Although you should try a few different pellets out before you write it off. Also, the IZH61 is not really enough for rabbits imo. 4 ft/lbs energy at target is usually cited as necessary for clean rabbit kills. I would go with a .22 pellet of sufficient energy for a clean kill.

Are you in the states, canada? That will make a big difference on what I can recommend legally.

7/20/11 5:41 AM
DarthChoke
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/20/11 5:41 AM
I have killed quite a few rabbits with it. But out of 10 times I try, I only hit one (no consistent accuracy). It does not always kill them in first hit.

I live in Southern Calif in a suburban area where even shooting a pellet gun could get me fined. I would be willing to use any gun but I'd need a silencer! haha

I am even considering a crossbow (another thread).
7/20/11 9:30 PM
JackFunk
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Darth,

Definately try some other pellets. Sometimes you will find huge variation in pellet flight characteristics between guns.

Also maybe spend some time with a bench rest and really sight in perfectly, see if you can determine what the problem is. Would it possible to still exchange your current one at the shop?

Gamo makes a line called the Whisper, has a built in silencer, not legal here in canada unfortunately.

Here is the whisper with Nitro Piston:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_Whisper_with_Nitro_Piston/1509

with spring:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/gamo-whisper-air-rifle.shtml

I personally am a huge fan of the Weihrauch brand from Germany. The 'Rekord' triggers are a noticable step up from your average crossman/gamo.

Don't bother with the new hyper velocity pellets for hunting, they just pass through with no expansion. Many companies now use those pellets for fps testing so the fps ratings cheat to the high side with those super light alloys.

Another option besides airgun would be to use a .22 Long rifle with Super Colibri ammo, as quiet or quieter than the average airgun. But then you are discharging a weapon in most jurisdictions.

7/21/11 5:27 AM
PeterIrl
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not just use a 22lr with a suppressor and some subsonic ammo?

You could probably pick up a nice CZ or Winchester wildcat(Toz made) or even a Norinco jw15 for half nothing, and use some Winchester super-x subsonics?
7/21/11 12:02 PM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

scope is cheap and you need headshots
7/21/11 5:29 PM
DarthChoke

PeterIrl - Why not just use a 22lr with a suppressor and some subsonic ammo?

You could probably pick up a nice CZ or Winchester wildcat(Toz made) or even a Norinco jw15 for half nothing, and use some Winchester super-x subsonics?

Please explain this as if you were talking to a child. I have no idea what you just said.

If you are talking about a 22 rifle then that would be highly illegal. I live in an incorporated city. I would LOVE to use a rifle. I also would LOVE to stay out of jail.

If I could get away with using a suppressed sniper rifle (think Antonio Banderas in Assassins with Stallone) I would do it! Silencers are illegal too.

Now, if I misinterpreted what you said, please educate me.
7/21/11 7:02 PM
PeterIrl
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL, no misinterpretation there mate, I was talking about a 22 rifle. On re-reading I see I missed the bit where you said you were in the burbs.
11/6/11 3:51 PM
Hessian
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anschutz and Feinwerkbau

http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/modules/cms/main.php5?setActiveLanguageId=2&cPageId=143

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?menu=102&sprache=1

I am sure they have some sport models.

Or you can use one of the above posted 12 - 14 pound models like I have in the past.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.