UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Sending out a daily checklist

7/21/11 11:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ghost of Retard
737 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My boss wants me to send out a daily email . he called it a checklist.

But what he wants me to do is ask if anyone is having any issues with their computer or any IT issues.

We have about 20 people total in the company. SO i think this is dumb since they all know they can call me and i;ll fix anything. 

Anyway do any of you do this?
7/21/11 1:32 PM
NHBDaddy
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, for now I use a custom form in Outlook they can fill out and email to me to request help.

I am currently designing an intranet site right now that will have a link to replace the form.

They usually just call, overhead page, or stand at my desk and stare when they need help
7/21/11 4:27 PM
notsodirty
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If people have an issue, ask them to create an incident. You don't want to manage an e-mail everyday, you save a lot of overhead with a centralized system such as JIRA, also, everything is documented in one place for tracking. 

http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/
7/21/11 6:39 PM
Ho Kogan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've worked in every size company imaginable (as few as 4 people, as many as 200,000+ people) and I've never heard of anything like that.

Either there's a ticketing/incident reporting system in place or people just call/email the IT department directly.
7/22/11 1:08 AM
jave
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with the rest, I work in IT as well and we use a ticket system. We don't ask if there's a problem, users report problems and in the ticket system you and your boss can see real time the tickets.
7/22/11 12:49 PM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a shit idea. Nicely explain to your boss that if the issue is....

Getting things fixed: A better way is a helpdesk/ticket system.

IT friendly visibility: Regularly scheduled informative newsletters or "lunch 'n learn" type presentations on fixing common problems, data security, how to better use resources, etc...
7/22/11 1:30 PM
Ghost of Retard
737 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_slacker - What a shit idea. Nicely explain to your boss that if the issue is....

Getting things fixed: A better way is a helpdesk/ticket system.

IT friendly visibility: Regularly scheduled informative newsletters or "lunch 'n learn" type presentations on fixing common problems, data security, how to better use resources, etc...

Good idea
7/24/11 1:54 PM
notsodirty

What exactly is the work that you do? I mean, you could be proactive here and have tools that does a health check and report back the results.

So for example, if you view a disk increasing, order the disk in advance and just swap it when the times comes, no delay.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.