UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Why should I choose Wrestling over BJJ?

7/21/11 5:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
citysambo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There just so happens to be one of the UK's only wrestling clubs 1/2 a mile away from me (never knew before) but also a good MMA gym that offers BJJ the same distance away.

I'm 16 years old and apart from being a green belt in Taekwondo before I quit, my martial arts skills are limited. I'm interested in potentially joining a true MMA gym in the future but I want a solid ground game before (or at least an advantage).

Wrestling is always said the be the base of MMA so I'm leaning more towards taking classes there instead of BJJ classes. Can someone tell me which would be more beneficial for me and fully persuade me to take up wrestling?

Thanks.
7/22/11 7:41 AM
The Persian Devil
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestling will make you athletic, teach you drive, give you confidence and make you tough as nails.

BJJ is very important obviously (submission defense/offense, fighting off your back) but you can learn it in a couple of years.

Wrestling will also learn you how to train hard, most people do not understand what that means.
7/22/11 7:41 AM
The Persian Devil
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/22/11 7:42 AM
P.S Wrestling in MMA is different from pure wrestling.

7/22/11 9:53 AM
citysambo

The Persian Devil - Wrestling will make you athletic, teach you drive, give you confidence and make you tough as nails.

BJJ is very important obviously (submission defense/offense, fighting off your back) but you can learn it in a couple of years.

Wrestling will also learn you how to train hard, most people do not understand what that means.

Thanks man.
7/22/11 11:13 AM
BshMstr

also, IMO wrestling covers more area than any other discipline in MMA. wrestling sets up the distance from striking/takedown range, and movement, the clinch, the takedown/sprawl, to the ground.... BJJ is really only focused on the ground aspect.

also, you can train at both places, if funds allow...
7/22/11 11:42 AM
ChipW
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your ground game wont be complete with just pure wrestling but all the intangible things listed by the Persian Devil will be a huge benefit. 

Do both if you can. 
7/22/11 3:09 PM
citysambo

BshMstr - also, IMO wrestling covers more area than any other discipline in MMA. wrestling sets up the distance from striking/takedown range, and movement, the clinch, the takedown/sprawl, to the ground.... BJJ is really only focused on the ground aspect.

also, you can train at both places, if funds allow...

Funds don't allow man haha, it certainly sounds more useful when you put it like that. How will my ground game stack up against someone who had learnt BJJ for a year if I was to take up Wrestling for a year? Would I be better?
7/23/11 11:47 AM
BshMstr

well, one of the reason's why i suggest wrestling, is because it encompases a lot more of the MMA game than BJJ.... BJJ is obviously more specialized towards ground grappling.

if all you did was wrestle, and all someone else did was BJJ, i would expect you to be able to take them down and they would submit you.

BUT.....i think wrestling gives you a better base....you learn to clinch, learn how to time takedowns and sprawls, leanr how to do takedowns and sprawls, learn how to control someone on the ground and scramble.

if you learn BJJ, you will leanr more in submission offense and defense, but will still need to get to the ground in order to attack with that knowledge.

to be a good MMA fighter, you are gonna need to learn it all eventually...i just think it's harder to pickup wrestling, and at this stage in your training, you might be more receptive to what it has to offer.
8/6/11 7:50 PM
HULC
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I learnt how to do several arm submissions in about 30 minutes once. I was shown how to do them, and then given a few drills to follow until i had internalised them, and that was it. I still know how to do all of those subs years later.

Learning how to get someone to the ground, and control them whilst they try and get rid of you, is something that can take years to learn to do well.

The point being it's a lot easier to add subs to wrestling, than it is to add fundamental grappling techniques to a sub game.
8/9/11 2:22 PM
FenceGrab
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learn wrestling FIRST (trust me)
You want wrestling habits first.
11/9/11 8:40 PM
KNJacobs
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done both, to be quite honest I would go to whomever provides the higher level in that particular discipline. What do you know about the coaches in the facility, or the athletes that come out of and train there. I'm sorry but if I've got some random high school coach running the wrestling club down the street and the MMA/BJJ facility is run by Roger Gracie, I'm going to the BJJ facility, but that also works in reverse as well.

I started wrestling at age 12, I'm 28 now but I've been doing BJJ for 7 years. I tried to walk on in college to no avail so I started Training BJJ/MMA, and ironically ended up training with those same wrestlers who finished their college careers and decided to go into MMA.

Go in and seriously ask questions and find out what you can about both facilities and how serious their athletes and coaches are. Just by going in and observing practices you'll be able to find out alot.
KNJacobs
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done both, to be quite honest I would go to whomever provides the higher level in that particular discipline. What do you know about the coaches in the facility, or the athletes that come out of and train there. I'm sorry but if I've got some random high school coach running the wrestling club down the street and the MMA/BJJ facility is run by Roger Gracie, I'm going to the BJJ facility, but that also works in reverse as well.

I started wrestling at age 12, I'm 28 now but I've been doing BJJ for 7 years. I tried to walk on in college to no avail so I started Training BJJ/MMA, and ironically ended up training with those same wrestlers who finished their college careers and decided to go into MMA.

Go in and seriously ask questions and find out what you can about both facilities and how serious their athletes and coaches are. Just by going in and observing practices you'll be able to find out alot.
KNJacobs

Sorry for the double post :P
11/15/11 10:53 PM
joshjitsu

The Persian Devil - Wrestling will make you athletic, teach you drive, give you confidence and make you tough as nails.

So you can just learn BJJ in a couple years?

You must be a really fast learner because most people still suck after 2 years of BJJ. Phone Post
11/15/11 10:53 PM
joshjitsu

KNJacobs - I've done both, to be quite honest I would go to whomever provides the higher level in that particular discipline. What do you know about the coaches in the facility, or the athletes that come out of and train there. I'm sorry but if I've got some random high school coach running the wrestling club down the street and the MMA/BJJ facility is run by Roger Gracie, I'm going to the BJJ facility, but that also works in reverse as well.

Smart post Phone Post
11/24/11 8:51 PM
ozjiujitsu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Persian Devil - Wrestling will make you athletic, teach you drive, give you confidence and make you tough as nails.

Your an idiot. Trying to tell some impressionable kid that bjj is easy. I may train bjj but at least I have respect for the other forms of fighting and so should you. You need to start living outside your little one dimensional box Phone Post
11/28/11 9:15 PM
Victor Parlati

It's not an either/or...

Choose catch wrestling and you're doing it all.
11/30/11 8:51 AM
simthefarmer

i say get a good wrestling base to get the habits. lots of it will transfer to BJJ (and other aspects of fighting) afterwards.
12/1/11 10:28 AM
John Frankl
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ummmmmm, because you posted this on the Wrestling forum, maybe.

On the other hand, it depends on your eventual goals. Wrestlers do very well in MMA, assuming they have a lot of cross training in stand up and BJJ. In Abu Dhabi, on the other hand, you need to look at Marcelo, Braulio, Cobrinha, Rafa Mendes, Galvao, Dean Lister, and a whole bunch more BJJ guys who dominate.
12/4/11 7:22 PM
HoldYerGround
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"a good MMA gym that offers BJJ the same distance away"

You're looking to do MMA aren't you? And by god, a good MMA place close by? Wherever shall you go?

12/6/11 3:39 PM
Skpotamus
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/11 3:43 PM
HoldYerGround - "a good MMA gym that offers BJJ the same distance away"

You're looking to do MMA aren't you? And by god, a good MMA place close by? Wherever shall you go?

+1

The MMA gym will probably be able to teach you the areas of wresltling and BJJ that you need for mma. I'd go there. Heck, if they're that close, you'll probably have some of the MMA guys that train at the wrestling place.
12/7/11 7:50 AM
The Persian Devil
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ozjiujitsu - 

Your an idiot. Trying to tell some impressionable kid that bjj is easy. I may train bjj but at least I have respect for the other forms of fighting and so should you. You need to start living outside your little one dimensional box Phone Post

When exactly did I say that BJJ is easy?

I have huge respect for BJJ and I have trained at De la Rivas school in Rio, as well as at Carlson Gracies original gym and many others (fight zone in brazil, abu dhabi..)

However, wrestling will teach him the most important aspect of fighting which is hard work and determination. BJJ is not easy, but it's nowhere near the same intensity as you get in a wrestling gym. If you don't realize this, you are delusional.
12/7/11 12:14 PM
HoldYerGround
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^From what I understand the Dan Gable work ethic is an American concept. You know that in UK, or at this international style club specifically for that matter, that they will teach him hard work and determination?
12/7/11 3:36 PM
The Persian Devil
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/07/11 3:37 PM
HoldYerGround - ^From what I understand the Dan Gable work ethic is an American concept. You know that in UK, or at this international style club specifically for that matter, that they will teach him hard work and determination?

I'm a huge fan of D.Gable and his training mentality.
However, if you think that work ethic in wrestling gyms is exclusive to Iowa or the United States I got news for you.

Work ethic is synonymous with wrestling because that is just the way that sport functions. It demands a huge amount of sacrifice from those who take part in it. And it doesn't matter if your a Hawkeye or if you wrestle on the mongolian steppes, bottom line is it's the same sport, it's the same grueling workouts.

And as a sidenote, of course there are bad gyms and good gyms, bad instructors and good instructors. He needs to go and check out his options.
12/7/11 9:40 PM
ChipW
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Persian Devil - 
Work ethic is synonymous with wrestling because that is just the way that sport functions. It demands a huge amount of sacrifice from those who take part in it. And it doesn't matter if your a Hawkeye or if you wrestle on the mongolian steppes, bottom line is it's the same sport, it's the same grueling workouts.

One of America's best on the toughness of the Mongolian wrestlers. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.