UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Why should I choose Wrestling over BJJ?

12/8/11 2:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HoldYerGround
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmmm, I'm not really explaining myself very well.

Usually when people are talking about how intense and tough wrestling is they are referring to the grueling practices and lifestyle typical of American wrestlers. Work ethic might have been a bad choice of words on my part.

Basically this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/424-Andy-Hrovat/video/483222-Andy-Hrovats-Russian-Experience

Anyone interested in grappling training methods should watch this video and read his training blog.
12/8/11 2:14 AM
HoldYerGround
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cliff notes:

"There's less intensity but they still get the conditioning in... you wrestle for four minutes, you don't need super crazy go-go-go for one hour live wrestling."
"I'd wrestle for a match, rest 20 minutes, and wrestle another match."
"All the practices [in Russia] are identical."
"These guys are doing something right."

The Ossetian guys have a great work ethic but they don't put themselves through the sadism we see in American wrestling practices, where honing wrestler's toughness, aggression, and gameness seems to be top priority.
12/8/11 4:30 AM
ozjiujitsu
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Persian you stated in your post that you can learn bjj in a couple of years. In 2 years most ppl are still white belts. If you think you can practice good jitz in two years.... You are delusional friend Phone Post
12/8/11 6:11 AM
The Persian Devil
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ozjiujitsu - Persian you stated in your post that you can learn bjj in a couple of years. In 2 years most ppl are still white belts. If you think you can practice good jitz in two years.... You are delusional friend Phone Post
Actually you never complete your learning when it comes to BJJ. It's a continous journey, the sport is constantly developing. What I said was that he can learn enough BJJ to defend the most common attacks and sweeps in a couple of years. Don't believe me? Jon Jones is a white belt. Phone Post
12/8/11 7:29 AM
ozjiujitsu
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Persian Devil - Wrestling will make you athletic, teach you drive, give you confidence and make you tough as nails.

BJJ is very important obviously (submission defense/offense, fighting off your back) but you can learn it in a couple of years.

Wrestling will also learn you how to train hard, most people do not understand what that means.
JJ is very important obviously (submission defense/offense, fighting off your back) but you can learn it in a couple of years..... That is what you said... And if you meant differently you could have explained yourself better... End of my commenting on this thread Phone Post
12/8/11 9:49 AM
The Persian Devil
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ozjiujitsu -
The Persian Devil - Wrestling will make you athletic, teach you drive, give you confidence and make you tough as nails.

BJJ is very important obviously (submission defense/offense, fighting off your back) but you can learn it in a couple of years.

Wrestling will also learn you how to train hard, most people do not understand what that means.
JJ is very important obviously (submission defense/offense, fighting off your back) but you can learn it in a couple of years..... That is what you said... And if you meant differently you could have explained yourself better... End of my commenting on this thread Phone Post
Yes you can learn solid basic sub offense/defense and positioning in a couple of years. I didn't claim you will win the mundials. And frankly he wont need more then that for a well rounded MMA game. Phone Post
12/8/11 2:34 PM
ozjiujitsu

Yeah that's all he'll need I suppose. Then he can get triangled in every second fight like chael sonnen Phone Post
12/8/11 3:45 PM
HoldYerGround

What kind of uncoordinated r-tards are still white belts after 2 years of consistent practice?
12/8/11 4:27 PM
ozjiujitsu

HoldYerGround - What kind of uncoordinated r-tards are still white belts after 2 years of consistent practice?
Jon jones? Phone Post
12/9/11 2:15 AM
HoldYerGround

He has been practicing in the gi consistently for two years?

No fucking way.
12/9/11 2:24 AM
The Persian Devil

ozjiujitsu - Yeah that's all he'll need I suppose. Then he can get triangled in every second fight like chael sonnen Phone Post

Chael Sonnen gets subbed because he is relentless with his GnP and tries to finish fights. He actually has a solid jiu jitsu game.

Your BJJ nuthugging reeks of Acai and granola bars. Get off Tereres nuts for a second and get back into reality.
12/9/11 4:49 AM
ozjiujitsu

This has got out of hand. Both arts bring great things to mma. This started as me trying to point out if you trained in bjj for two years you would be very little chance of you mastering bjj or finding it "easy". I will admit my last couple of posts were meant to provoke. My bad I should have just stuck to my above statement. Phone Post
12/13/11 9:02 AM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wrestled a few years before i started BJJ. I had the opportunity to train for free at a very good gym in Orlando, FL, so i was there 5x a week for about a year straight. Wrestling will teach you what intensity really is. You will learn leverage, how to control the top game, takedowns/defense, etc. In a perfect world, I would jump on a wrestling team (it's free) and hit up the BJJ gym once or twice a week. The key is to leave your ego at the door when you're doing submission work. They will teach you real quick to pace yourself. Don't be afraid of learning some stuff with the GI on as well. You never know when you might need it.
12/23/11 8:59 PM
GBDazzler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What wrestling gym are you going to? i train in the uk, currently bjj blue belt, but i wrestle a lot more now, don't do much bjj anymore.
1/3/12 6:20 PM
jonnyjitsu uktt
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joshjitsu -
KNJacobs - I've done both, to be quite honest I would go to whomever provides the higher level in that particular discipline. What do you know about the coaches in the facility, or the athletes that come out of and train there. I'm sorry but if I've got some random high school coach running the wrestling club down the street and the MMA/BJJ facility is run by Roger Gracie, I'm going to the BJJ facility, but that also works in reverse as well.

I started wrestling at age 12, I'm 28 now but I've been doing BJJ for 7 years. I tried to walk on in college to no avail so I started Training BJJ/MMA, and ironically ended up training with those same wrestlers who finished their college careers and decided to go into MMA.

Go in and seriously ask questions and find out what you can about both facilities and how serious their athletes and coaches are. Just by going in and observing practices you'll be able to find out alot.
Smart post Phone Post
Totally agree.

Go with whichever level of training is of a higher quality.

Out of interest, whats the bjj club? Phone Post
1/8/12 1:27 PM
nowaydo
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Frankl - Ummmmmm, because you posted this on the Wrestling forum, maybe.

On the other hand, it depends on your eventual goals. Wrestlers do very well in MMA, assuming they have a lot of cross training in stand up and BJJ. In Abu Dhabi, on the other hand, you need to look at Marcelo, Braulio, Cobrinha, Rafa Mendes, Galvao, Dean Lister, and a whole bunch more BJJ guys who dominate.

Most of those guys all train wrestling now or wished they had earlier.

At a young age, your body is more prepared for wrestling. You can pick up BJJ later. A good wrestling base is excellent to create a competitive BJJ player later.

Like judo, it's much more difficult to pick up wrestling as you get older. BJJ is easier intellectually when you are more mature.
1/8/12 8:03 PM
ChipW
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^I dont know man, i think the hard part about wrestling is the intensity and the cardio. If your in good shape i tthink its easier to learn wrestling than BJJ.  Until recently there really hasnt been a reason or places to learn wrestling beyond high school if you didnt already do it.  Now with many MMA gyms offering wrestling or at least wrestling for MMA more adults are learning it.  At least the parts that are useful for MMA. 

I also think that folkstyle wrestling is gaining in popularity because of the growth of MMA.  I dont think it will be long before more wrestling clubs offer adult practices as well as youth and HS. 
1/8/12 9:44 PM
nowaydo
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's what I'm saying, Chip. Wrestling is easier to learn. But physically, a young body with little injurious history, is better prepared for wrestling. So do it while you are young!!
BJJ is more better for a mature mind and it's easier on the body.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.