UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Ring to Cage Sparring Headgear

7/23/11 4:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, its review time again and this one features my first headgear review! How do you feel being a part of this monumental occasion? Anyway, this review is on Ring to Cage's Sparring headgear-cheek only. What that means is Ring to Cage also offers the same headgear but with a chin pad. This lil' darlin' goes for $74.95 and can be bought here: www.ringtocage.com. For those who are not in the know, Ring to Cage offers a HUGE variety of gear at competitive prices. So if the headgear in this review is not your style check out their other offerings and see if they are to your liking.

A Little Background: So when I traveled to Thailand to avenge my brother's loss to Tong Po, I asked a man named Xian to teach me Muay Thai. He told me my defense stinks! So I bought some headgear (only the last part is non-fiction) well my defense stunk so bad that after two years my headgear looked like a cross between a worn out football girdle and a very busy prostitutes thong. It was primarily held together by wishes and sports tape. Near the end it offered more sentimental value than actual protection, I think it may have even caused more cuts and scrapes than it prevented. What I'm getting at is I was so excited when the Ring to Cage head gear showed up I almost cried.

Initial Impressions: This headgear sports Ring to Cage's familiar and beloved (at least by me) black and green color scheme. I thought that it was really light when I picked it up. Of course my old headgear had like 2 lbs of tape holding it together so my objectiveness on the weight might be skewed. The headgear features a very robust closure system, and has a lot of room for adjustment. It is all leather construction with the exception of the liner. At a glance this seems in keeping with Ring to Cages high quality construction.

Construction: The leather on the outer shell is thick and stretched tight over the padding and does not shift about. The headgear is primarily single stitched but is done well and is without skipped or popped stitching. The velcro closures are sewn on very securely as well. Some of the velcro is even reinforced with "X" stitching for strength. I have seen a lot of gear with good stitching only to have poorly sewn velcro. I mean that is what keeps your gear on people! This headgear is lined with Ring to Cage's Dri Max liner. It is a Poly/Nylon blend to control moisture from sweating and to me is a softer improved version of Everlast's Ever Dri liner. The padding on the inside is very soft, even pillow like. The outer padding is much more firm and also denser. The chinstrap is built to stay closed. The strap goes through a leather loop, through a metal roller buckle, then threads through an eyelet in a leather tab before fastening back over itself to close.....but wait there's more! The strap system also has a velrco clamp to keep the main chinstrap from coming undone. The back of the headgear feature a dual strap velcro closure system and is fully adjustable. The top of the headgear is fastened and adjusted via nylon webbing loops and a flat shoelace with a plastic tip to prevent unraveling, this is seen in the majority of headgear. Upon closer overview my initial thoughts were correct on the construction; it is well made and has no real deficiencies that I could find.

Fit and Performance: This headgear is a large and seems to fit me quite nicely. The circumference of my gorgeous dome is 22.5"(that is 57.15cm for all you silly metric users) so that might give you a reference to what size you might need. I will say that there is some room for adjustment in making it bigger or smaller as well. Once the headgear is on it is easy to adjust by using the back velcro straps or the shoelace. This headgear is really comfortable; the combination of the soft padding and the Dri Max fabric is a real pleasure for your face. Seriously though I really like the liner especially when I get all sweaty it stays in place. Headgear that is smooth on the inside likes to get all slippery and twist around on you which only invites and unseen blow to the head. The inside did not rub or irritate any part of my head or face. The chinstrap is just leather and velcro. I think I would have preferred it to have the same lining as the inside but it is by no means uncomfortable, the velcro and leather is cut so there is no irritation at all. Just me thinking what I would have done. I'm sure most know but some might not, Headgear is only designed to reduce soft tissue damage. Headgear will reduce cuts, scrapes, and bruises, not concussive force. I say that only to clear up any notion of headgear acting like a helmet. With that being said this headgear does just that. I have not had any cuts or black eyes or anything of the sort. I never had any problems with it shifting or coming undone. The cheek pads do a good job of protecting the majority of my face while providing a good field of vision. An MMA glove might sneak into your nose area but not a boxing glove. My only gripe (and it is a minor one) would be the ear padding, I wish it was a bit thicker. I would say on the inside of the headgear more so than on the outside. Getting hit in the face sucks but this headgear really does make it about as pleasurable of an experience as it can be. I did not intentionally take a copious amount of blows to the head for this review but it seemed to happen that way during sparring. Thankfully this headgear performed very well.

Final Thoughts: This is really a comfortable and functional set of headgear. I have owned two previous styles and have tried on/ used several others but this is really one that sticks out as far as comfort. Everything that I have used from Ring to Cage has had impeccable stitching, padding, leather and liners. This only continues that trend and in my opinion would be a welcomed addition to anyone's gear bag. I guess to sum it all up I would say this is a well made, light, protective headgear that does not shift around or obstruct your vision. This is a definite recommend and in my opinion I just think this headgear is the Cat’s Pajamas!!!!

7/23/11 4:28 PM
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/23/11 4:29 PM
Dim Sum Punch

Helmet Cam!!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.