UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> My first Aikido class in 12 years

7/25/11 11:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor

Tried to make this thread earlier but the forum glitched...

I started out in TMA as a kid in the mid 1980's.  In college, I trained Aikido for a year, fairly intensively (5x/week).  The dojo had a good reputation and the training was good, but they were going through a tough period of transition and there were political/interpersonal issues both internally and externally that led me away.  After college, I got more into BJJ & JKD and moved away from many of the TMA I'd trained. 

A friend of mine just helped open an Aikido dojo outside Boston, so last week I drove up to visit and take class with him.  IT WAS AWESOME!  I had forgotten a lot of the things I liked about Aikido, not the least of which was the work ethic in classes (there is no sitting around or chatting in class.  You practice hard, and at a good clip, and for a long time).  He taught a great class, and I had a blast.  It has me all fired up for TMA grappling again!  (I'm taking my JJJ shodan exam later this year, so hopefully I can parlay this excitement into preparing well for that exam!)

I never would have guessed that a random Aikido class, after 12 years away, would get me so excited.  It was awesome.
7/27/11 2:23 PM
jrrrrr
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for you..
Know why you are training and stay focused, consistency...
7/28/11 8:29 AM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think for most of us that have grown up or trained through the start of the UFC need to walk away from the Traditional martial arts we love for a while to remember what it was we loved about them. When I was younger I used to see fighting ability as effectiveness, now I look more at ending ability instead. Alot of the good TMA's might not make you a good fighter but they will be very effective when needed and they are very fun to train. We also seem to forget that a good traditional class(not mc dojo) will be as hard as any other class or workout you might take. 
9/1/11 2:48 AM
TerreM
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent post. Although I was always taught that TMAs were never just about technique, when UFC came to consciousness my focus/interest changed in favor of "effectiveness". Lately I've thought of revisiting just for fun.
9/8/11 3:46 PM
Ogami Itto
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to hear it!
9/8/11 6:24 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I for one have realized as I've gotten older that the tma's I shunned in my youth would just as effective for the street as all the other training I've done. I have much more respect for the old school guys now than I used to as well.
9/9/11 11:54 AM
Munk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've only ever found a few videos of tomiki guys sparring. Does anyone know of an aikido school that trains with any realism?
9/9/11 1:10 PM
cdueck

I've seen video's of aikido guys training with realism but not in class. It has always looked like they were training outside of class with a student.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.