UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Coach: Wand is young, still has much to do

7/25/11 8:30 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

In an exclusive interview with TATAME, Rafael Cordeiro, head-coach of Kings MMA disagree with Dana White, and believes it’s not the end of the line for the Axe Murderer.

Guilherme Cruz: What went wrong with Wanderlei?

Rafael Cordeiro: The lack of fighting rhythm was the biggest factor. Wanderlei, while in a sequence of fights, will recover that. Wanderlei was coming from a sequence of injuries, did his best on the trainings, he was doing fine, but it happened. There were two prepared athletes, and a hard punch got him hard. He went for it, it’s hard to analyze… There was no bout. Wanderlei believed that he could finish the fight and went for it.

GC: Did you feel it on the trainings?

RC: He was doing great on the trainings with Mark Munoz, Vitor Vianna, Werdum… We had a great technical support. Wanderlei was ready for a war. Whoever things Wanderlei was not prepared for it, is mistaken. He was prepared for a war, but that punch really got caught him and it defined the fight.

GC: What was the game plan?

RC: To move a lot, use his best skills, which are his speed and exploding power, find the right moment and counterattack and, moving his legs a lot, finish the fight. He was well trained, but, unfortunately that punch really caught him. It’s hard to talk about game plans after the fight, but now we have to move along and think about his next bout. He still has much to do, he’s an excellent athlete, young… There are no excuses.

GC: How did Wanderlei react to Dana White’s statements, claiming it was the end of the line for him?

RC: Nobody said it directly to Wanderlei, that he won’ fight anymore. Wanderlei is in Brazil now, he’ll return to the United States this week, and he’s coming to train here. He wants to fight again. He trained his whole life and suffered many injuries as any other athlete, but they’re all healed. He’s with a good body, stronger than ever. He’s Wanderlei, he’ll never give up. That’s the main thing about him. And there’s no reasons for him to do that. He’s reached what every athlete wants to. I’m not saying this as his coach, I’m saying this as a guy who watched him growing in the sport. He has the potential to become champion again, it’s all about timing.

Read entire interview...

7/25/11 8:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ice Cubes on Kiriks Nipples
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

please retire Wand, it's hard seeing the brutal KOs
7/25/11 8:38 PM
brahmabull81
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Non-fighters need to stop telling fighters what to do. If fucking Cordiero thinks hes still good to fight maybe us uninformed shitheads should stop speculating that we know better because our wittle eyes cant take the sight of an outcome Wand goes into every fight knowing can happen.

Whatever team Wand wants, i support.
7/25/11 8:40 PM
Thecalmone

If he wants to keep fighting i'm going to keep paying to watch. Wand is one of the few real fighters left.
7/25/11 8:46 PM
Rampage23NTT

brahmabull81 - Non-fighters need to stop telling fighters what to do. If fucking Cordiero thinks hes still good to fight maybe us uninformed shitheads should stop speculating that we know better because our wittle eyes cant take the sight of an outcome Wand goes into every fight knowing can happen.

Whatever team Wand wants, i support.
Idiotic. Disregard our opinions... He's still been KO'd in what? 4 of his last 6? Idiotic. Phone Post
7/25/11 8:51 PM
Jons Forsberg

ChokeEmOut - 
 Nice to see that even his coach cannot give any technical perspective on why he lost. Denial! Pure denial!

Too bad that the people around these fighters don't have the balls to tell 'em the truth. This reminds me of Hackleman-Chuck.
7/25/11 8:51 PM
Samoanpowr
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL@ "whatever team Wand wants........."  As if a coach and or a fighter himself are the ones that can make unbiashed assessments.

Seriously, if you can't see at this point that it is dangerous for Wand to keep fighting and keep furnishing guys highlight reels (that he would have and DID curbstomp in some circumstances in his prime) then you aren't watching.............at all.

7/25/11 9:16 PM
StratTone
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wand can still fight just not the top of the food chain nor does he deserve to with his latest outings. Let the man get the big pay checks he has worked so hard to get too
7/25/11 9:21 PM
Samoanpowr
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course he can still fight.  Hell, he might win a few.  It's still bad for his health at this point.  I'm not saying that he should be banned from fighting or Liddell'd by Dana for his own good.  Just stating my thoughts that it is clearly a bad decision in terms of his health for him to keep getting knocked the fuck out. As well as I hate to see it happen.  I hate to see the fucking Leben's jumping around like at tick celebrating as Wand is nodding his head to the ref with a sad face.  I hate to see my favorite fighters legacy tarnished by all this bullshit at the end of his career.  The last 3 sentences are just my personal bias.............the fact that him getting knocked out repeatedly is bad for his health is probably more along the lines of fact.

7/25/11 9:24 PM
hellride
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Wand can retire.. he doesn't know how.
7/25/11 9:24 PM
Rampage23NTT

StratTone - Wand can still fight just not the top of the food chain nor does he deserve to with his latest outings. Let the man get the big pay checks he has worked so hard to get too
They could have done the same with Chuck. I don't know what kind of mentality you have but it would be a slap in the face to fight mid-level guys. I guarantee Wand doesn't want that. He's had more than enough pay days. It's time for him to move on from fighting. Phone Post
7/25/11 9:27 PM
Samoanpowr

He just got KTFO by a "mid-level" guy.
7/25/11 10:53 PM
blueheron20816
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wand looked great against Bisping, much more controlled and technical than were used to from him. If he had done the same with Leben, Im sure he would have won. Theres no doubt his chin is not what it used to be, he cant be that wild brawler anymore if he wants to continue.

I say give him another shot, might as well since you know theres no way he will retire(willingly at least) coming off that Leben KO. Guys a warrior, hes going to do everything that he can to go out on his shield.
7/25/11 11:33 PM
ajjr0ller
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coredeiro: I'd like Wanderlei to continue fighting until my mortgage is paid off..
7/26/11 12:00 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wanderlei needs to fight smarter. Bad strategy vs Leben. Wand should have won that fight. he fights to be exciting for fans, doesn't worry about his health. I don't wanna see that guy ko'd anymore! Phone Post
7/26/11 12:12 AM
un3rgr0und

I like Wanderlei, if he decides to change his gameplan and fight a smarter fight, maybe not just swing for the fences all the time he might be able to win a few more fights before he hangs it up
7/26/11 12:32 AM
HELWIG

Hate to be captain buzz kill but this is what gets guy permanently shaking, suicidal depression, and erratic behavior by the time theyre 50.

Brains cant be rehabbed the way you can a joint or muscle injury.

The man was an icon. Had a career beyond what most could dream.

But he came back to the UFC off of two horrendous back to back knockouts against Michael Cro Cop and Henderson that may have taken years off his life.

He got to clip Jardine and out-man Bisping. But the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

I dont want to see him tapped out for the first time in his career by Palhares or someone else.

7/26/11 12:35 AM
Samoanpowr

I don't know that Wand would tap; honestly.  I know a lot of fighters TALK about it, but I believe that there are guys out there like Renzo for example.........who just wouldn't tap.

Not saying that he wouldn't ever tap, but if there is a guy fighting right now that wouldn't, Wand is that guy.
7/26/11 3:10 AM
EKPOGI
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wand vs Drew Mcfredies for his next fight please.
7/26/11 3:24 AM
mata_leao
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HELWIG -  Hate to be captain buzz kill but this is what gets guy permanently shaking, suicidal depression, and erratic behavior by the time theyre 50.

Brains cant be rehabbed the way you can a joint or muscle injury.

The man was an icon. Had a career beyond what most could dream.

But he came back to the UFC off of two horrendous back to back knockouts against Michael Cro Cop and Henderson that may have taken years off his life.

He got to clip Jardine and out-man Bisping. But the line needs to be drawn somewhere.

I dont want to see him tapped out for the first time in his career by Palhares or someone else.

Yes....please do not feed him to Paul Harris. Phone Post
7/26/11 3:44 AM
Wasa-B
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blueheron20816 - Wand looked great against Bisping, much more controlled and technical than were used to from him. If he had done the same with Leben, Im sure he would have won. Theres no doubt his chin is not what it used to be, he cant be that wild brawler anymore if he wants to continue.

A lot of people are forgetting about this. Against Leben, he rolled the dice classic Wand style all the while slower and much less a chin. But when he chose to box more technically, he still beat one of the div's best young guys. Lets not forget Bisping beat Leben up.

Still, i think Wand should retire.
7/26/11 3:55 AM
TheVileOne
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It sucks but for the sport of MMA, Wanderlei Silva is "old."

I know guys have a lot of love for Wanderlei but even fighting "smart" is not going to win him fights against guys with better chins with powerful hands anymore. It is time for Silva to retire so he doesn't need to take anymore unnecessary punishment.

Liddell got in fantastic shape for the Franklin fight, but he still couldn't take a hit. Hackleman was also saying Liddell didn't have to retire and could keep going.

I know it is hard because for a lot of guys fighting and winning is like an addiction. But Silva's time in the sport is over.
7/26/11 5:39 AM
AmericanPsychoMMA

Wand for life. Phone Post
7/26/11 9:59 AM
Neil Funk

all respect due to the master Rafael

but he is wrong. Wand has nothing to prove to me or anyone else, he is an all-time great. I don't want him to win another fight, I want him to live a peaceful and healthy life, this would be greater than anything else imo
7/26/11 10:56 AM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.