UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> 16oz Training Glove Review

7/26/11 2:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey there guys (and gals), today I am giving you a review on Ring to Cages 16oz Training Gloves. These gloves are moderately priced at $59.95 a pair here www.ringtocage.com .They are a machine injected molded foam glove with 2" of padding over the knuckles and has a hook and loop closure. These are marketed as a training glove which means they are a "Jack of All Trades" glove. So that is exactly what I used them for, one pair for hitting mitts, bags, and faces.

Initial Thoughts: When I first took the gloves out of the plastic they came in, I thought that the palm of the glove was made from vinyl not leather as the description specified. Turns out I was wrong (not unusual). This glove comes in a three color scheme of black and red with white piping. The black leather has a matte finish as looks slightly porous when compared to the red palm. The palm and outer half of the thumb is glossy red leather which I initially mistook for vinyl. A white leather strip joins the thumb to the palm and white leather piping finishes off the glove cuff and opening. I know I sound like a broken record but once again Ring to Cage seems to have another really well made product in terms of construction, more on that later. The glove features an elastic wrist closure that fastens with velcro on the back of the wrist. While I do like the red and black look I have to say I like their green and black or grey and black more. These gloves do come in a women’s version which sports a cute cupcake pink look if you are interested.

Construction: So I feel like I should mail Ring to Cage's Quality Assurance Inspector a Birthday card. Once again these gloves have impeccable stitching. The seams don't wander or unintentionally overlap. There are no loose skipped or blown out threads. The training gloves utilize and elastic patch (like many other gloves) to keep the palm from separating. On most gloves the elastic is on the inside of the glove but this pair has it on the outside, Hayabusa is another one that comes to mind for this. I don't know why but I prefer it on the inside, I guess it is just for aesthetic reasons but this is my review damn it! It does its job though and keeps the glove from having a big gap in the palm which is one of the main reasons I got rid of my hook and loop Heatseekers. The thumb is attached with a leather strip which I prefer to nylon webbing type attachment. The Wrist closure is a single strap of thick elastic, real thick. The entire back of the wrist is entirely velcro which is nice because not everyone’s wrist is the same thickness, it is stitched deeply into the glove where the edge of the palm section meets the wrist section. This baby isn’t coming apart anytime soon. The fist bar is a good size and is stitched in tightly throughout the entire width of the glove. There is a soft nylon liner that covers the entire inside of the glove. The padding that runs along the top and bottom of your inner wrist/forearm feels like a fiber fill or maybe cotton type material.
I think that if a firmer type of foam was used it would be better in both protection and more importantly wrist support. The main padding on these features a machine injected molded foam, this is a very popular type of padding used in several brands and glove styles due to its durability and protection. All foams are made up of bazillions (not an actual number) of tiny cells. The foam mold injection process is pretty interesting. You basically take a special type of base resin and put it into your mold, in this case a glove shape. The resin does not fully fill the mold though, once a certain type of gas is injected into the mold it creates a chemical heat reaction and causing the resin to swell and fill out to the shape of the mold. Different resins and gasses will give you different densities and types of foams. Injection type foam is a closed cell foam which explains why it offers so much protection. Think of a tennis ball with a hole the size of a quarter in it, you can squeeze it and it compresses as the air escapes the ball, this is how normal foam cells act. Closed cell foam is like a tennis ball without a hole; it does not compress as much and can withstand higher impact and pressures than its open cell brethren.

Fit and Performance: This gloves hand compartment is snug, borderline too tight with wraps. I found myself wrapping less on the knuckle area and more on my wrist for this glove. The nylon liner is soft and helps with sweat but it feels like it is too loose or maybe just too much material where your finger nails make contact with the padding once your hand is in the glove fully. On top of the slightly over tight hand compartment I think that the white strip of leather that joins the thumb to the palm could have been longer. I say this because I could feel it pressing down against the inside of the base of my thumb. It was not painful but I was conscious of it whenever I used it so I figured I would mention it. Perhaps if my hands were smaller this would not have been an issue. I prefer a wrist closure that doubles back on itself or maybe a dual strap system but the one on this glove is not bad. I felt like the wrist support was pretty good but on the bag I think a little more would not hurt. I really like how thick the leather is where your fingertips touch inside the glove, you don't want any finger poking through you know? The glove has good ventilation from the four holes just above the fist bar and the palm openings. I think injection type foams are the only type of foam to use for an all around glove. The glove performs well on mitts, pads, and bags and delivers a nice audible pop upon contact. I had no pain in my knuckles what so ever. My sparring partners did not complain about the glove being too firm either (make I just hit like a girl?). I thought I might have problems with the velcro coming undone during sparring because of the shape of the "tab" on the end for lack of a better term. It never happened though, I think it just sits flush enough that it does not get caught. It is very easy to make a solid fist in these as the glove conforms to the hand quite well. I could not however open up my hand as much as I would like due to firmness of the foam. I have to say that it was really convenient to keep the same pair of gloves on while training, but they ended up being quite sweaty by the end of my workouts. Since the glove is so snug though I did experience some hand fatigue but it was not too bad. I really like how streamlined these gloves are. For being 16oz they are much smaller than my Throwdowns of the same weight and a lot smaller than my Everlast Protex 2's which are 2oz less.

7/26/11 2:31 AM
Dim Sum Punch
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Final Thoughts: Overall this is a good glove for the price. I think that this model is well suited for a higher end entry level glove, or perhaps for someone who can't afford a few pairs of gloves for different applications. I know if I had these for my first pair I would be in heaven with the Machine Injected Molded Foam. I am pretty sure my first pair of Everlasts from Sports Authority were filled with old shredded Chinese newspapers! The positives of this glove far outweigh any complaints I have, and if you have smaller hands these gloves will fit just fine. So if you want an all around work horse glove that is affordable but not a POS then check out this glove.

7/26/11 2:31 AM
Dim Sum Punch

7/26/11 2:32 AM
Dim Sum Punch

7/26/11 11:13 PM
Dim Sum Punch

So in this review I mentioned that I thought the leather palm was vinyl initially. Ring to Cage's website describes the as "All leather shell construction" This is why I thought my vinyl theory was wrong. After speaking with Mohsin via email He clarified that the Palm was indeed Synthetic leather while the striking surface(black in color) was Real leather. The synthetic leather on the glove is really good, it even smells like leather and feels just as durable. It just has a shinier appearance. A thanks to Mohsin for the clarification. Happy Training!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.