UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Weight Training with Fight Training....

7/26/11 11:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
impactks
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I posted this question to Adam Singer on another thread but figured I'd open it up to the masses (and Adam) on it's own thread.

How do you incorporate weight training into your fight training? Is it more of a circuit style training (higher reps, lower weight, shorter rest periods) or something else?

Do you do the traditional strength lifts or something else?

What have you done in the past, with respect to weight training, that didn't work so well while fight training? Why do you think it didn't work?
7/26/11 12:58 PM
impactks

I'll start just to get the conversation rolling...

I currently train MT 4x week. Will eventually add BJJ back in 2x to 3x per week.

This leaves me with 2x per week for lifting weights. Once per week is a "light day" and once per week is a "heavy day".

On heavy days, I do 3 to 4 sets of warmup followed by 1 set of high intensity in a 5 to 7 rep range. Light days I subtract the high intensity set.

I only choose one lift from each of the areas below.

chest/shoulders/tris - incline and decline barbell bench, smith machine, d-bell bench (I do not flat bench)

back width - weighted pull ups (all variations), pull downs (all variations)

Back thickness - deadlift (all variations), good mornings, hyper extensions

Legs - squat, hack squat, leg press

To be continued....
7/26/11 4:41 PM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you lift for?
Are you training to compete or is it for health and exercise? And how much time do you put aside for recovery?
Full time training is a science these days for the athletes. Is full time commitment what you are looking for?
Lot's of questions but you need to know so you can have the right program.
7/26/11 5:02 PM
impactks

I lift for two reasons. One for overall strength and two for "the look".

I train for health and exercise but am fairly competitive so I'd like to be the best I can be.

I have a desk job and don't do any other strenuous activities outside of training, lifting, occasional honey-do's.

I eat clean and at most have cheat meals 2 to 3 times per week. I get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night.

I'm curious about the integration of strength and cardio training. Would I be better off to integrate the two? For example, pushing a sled or car, flipping tires, etc...
7/27/11 10:11 PM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am not ignoring but I am not sure I can answer. Phone Post
8/13/11 3:45 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This might be of interest to some of you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.