UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> New article - Right up your alley

7/27/11 11:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am writing my next article for FIGHT! and need a little help. The topic of the article is arts that are contributing to the growth of MMA. I have a list in my head of about 5 different arts that are outside of the normal Thai, BJJ, wrestling etc. So here is what I need.

Give me examples of techniques used, cite the fighters/fight/event and what art they where used in.

As an example we have front kick, Machida/Randy/UFC - Karate.
7/27/11 12:46 PM
Stickgrappler
1966 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vaguely recall some article like this from UFC magazine or another MMA mag from I want to say 2 yrs ago?

Don't have a specific fight ATM, but Karo Parisyan's judo throws in his early UFC fights. OK, where's my cut? J/K

Good luck with the article Adam, looking forward to it.
7/27/11 1:53 PM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judo
Savate
Catch
Sambo
Karate
TKD
7/27/11 4:17 PM
Devil Dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boxing or Dirty Boxing come to mind. Oh and then there is the ground and pound, though not an art in itself like boxing but some tend to be much more apt than others in that realm.

I think an interesting aspect is also those that can perform at the elite level in all areas of fighting, who do not need to impose a particular strength of their own because they are weak in another. They can adapt and exploit the other’s weaknesses. GSP can do it all.

Also, I personally think that in general, striking in MMA today still sucks. I much prefer to watch professional boxers than some of these MMA brawlers. But that’s just me.
7/27/11 6:45 PM
temp170618
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I vaguely recall Anderson doing a Chasse in his fight with Thales Leites...(Savate)

Cro Cops Axe Kick on Pat Barry (Karate)

Sakurabas Kimura from having his back taken in the Renzo fight (Catch/Pro Wrestling)

I know there are a couple of awesome Capoeira KO's in MMA fights floating around on youtube.

Seeing as this is JKD forum...I suppose we could argue that Vitor/Vanderlei was a Straight Blast/Boxing Blast (JKD).

7/28/11 2:59 AM
jkd4200

How the hell does TKD and karate get on that list.

Don't let machida fool you. That's not karate.

How do arts that have so many rules influence MMA. TKD has way too many rules for someone to train that art.

every school (MMA) in america trains Thai boxing, Boxing, wrestling and GJJ/BJJ. No coach tells his students that they will be looking at the art of Karate.

For someone who trained JKD at one point in their life, you sure have missed the point.

I know you try and dissmiss your training with Vunak, but come on man! Did you not learn a thing?
7/28/11 9:11 AM
twinkletoesCT
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
Anderson has been using quite a bit of Savate in his fights.

Dennis Siver (among others) are bringing TKD back into the cage.

And Cung Le sure does make San Shou work!
7/28/11 9:57 AM
Adam Singer

JKD4200. I guess I will call my editor and tell him you thought the article was a bad idea.
7/28/11 11:11 AM
Adam Singer

Also if you were not such a DICK we could have had an intelligent discussion on this topic.
Adam
7/30/11 11:55 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Adam.... Sorry ur thing got hijacked...

Your premise was actually really interesting. I hate all the sport fighting, RBSD, martial arts, Bruce Lee kung Fu etc... I'm done with all of it.

BUT, YOU had a great premise here...

So weird how peeps will double leg threads for "punch drinking purposes"...
7/31/11 7:07 AM
BigSifu

I don't know if MMA is exploring arts anymore. I think it is a period of refinement. If there is a trend,it is reaffirming the importance of boxing,and the downplaying of submissions from the guard. I suspect that wrestling has become the dominant "base" art for MMA.
8/1/11 7:41 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/03/11 5:48 PM
EDITED...
8/7/11 1:52 AM
JKDilla

i know you already mentioned TKD... but I remember David Loiseau specifically citing TKD when he dropped Charles McCarthy w/ a spin kick to the ribs.

I think more people from a wider variety of backgrounds are coming into MMA and that's why we see more people claiming karate/TKD as their art are competing.

Also, it's not MMA and this didn't finish the fight but remember when Zab Judah fought Mayweather and I think in the 5th round broke out some "52 blocks" type movement just to try something different cuz he couldn't penetrate Mayweather's defense. It probably doesn't apply to your article but for some reason it came to mind.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.