UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Bring back the open class

7/27/11 2:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back when I was involved with UFC it was all Open weight class with 20min rounds. This should be optional for fighters and it should be done in tournament form as well.
I posted this on the underground tooo. I winder what they have to say...:-)
7/27/11 3:48 PM
Devil Dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or have the belt holders fight for an Open Class Championship like the Absolute division in BJJ.
7/27/11 5:44 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not in favor of this... From a purely sporting perspective.
7/27/11 10:10 PM
Adam Singer
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never happen. Phone Post
7/28/11 9:02 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know it won't....WHY?

Maybe add a tag team fight?
do ya think they would allow that ?
8/1/11 11:57 AM
Joe Maffei

OK then....:-(
Will this change MMA....yes
Will it make it even closer to the real thing.....Yes.
Will it make fighters decide to be as big an strong as they can instead of shrinking down to nothing to get the edge on a smaller guy? ....Yes

Will it finally give a man the option to be the Greatest MMA fighter in the world. Ya know "The Ultimate Fighter", not "The Ultimate fightersssss" Yes.

Should it mandatory?...No.
Optional ?...Yes
8/1/11 8:10 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

""" Will it make it even closer to the real thing.....Yes."""

I can't imagine that any of us with a consciousness, who is not suffering from Narcissistic personality disorder or borderline disorder would want "anything in sport to be "CLOSE TO THE REAL THING".

Football is a thousand miles away from sword and shield battle as is soccer. And I cannot fathom that the majority of fathers and brothers in this country would hope for death at each game...

Boxing and MMA and olympic wrestling would not be the better for "deaths in competition".

REAL THING is not complementary to the modern human spirit... Skill, rules, honor and coaching rules the day to civilized and advanced minds/spirits...

8/1/11 10:47 PM
Joe Maffei

You see the fight itself would be exactly the same, nothing would change as far as technique is concerned, and certainly swords and shields would not be added. There would still be rules as they are now and it would be fare as it is now. Imagine telling Emmitt Smith or 5'7 Danny Woodhead that he couldn't be the best he could be or he's to small and would get killed, as they did tell him for many years.

No what would change would be strategy, the battle plan. Rickson said to me
" I don't say I will beat him, but I believe I can stay safe and not get hurt" That's the skill of a small man fighting a big man.

By the real thing I don't mean blood and guts savagery, I mean as the UFC was once created the best fighter wins. And winning is what it's all about in sports. And a professional athlete has the right to choose what his destiny will be. He should have the option if it was offered.
8/7/11 2:05 AM
JKDilla

I doubt any state athletic commission would give the ok for "Absolute" rules in MMA for anyone more than a weight class apart... as in a 205er fighting a 170er.

Hendo/Fedor was allowed here in IL cuz Hendo competes at 205 and Fedor doesn't clear 230lbs.
8/8/11 8:24 AM
Joe Maffei

JKDilla - I doubt any state athletic commission would give the ok for "Absolute" rules in MMA for anyone more than a weight class apart... as in a 205er fighting a 170er.

Hendo/Fedor was allowed here in IL cuz Hendo competes at 205 and Fedor doesn't clear 230lbs.

No of course not. the athletic commissions as any corporation are only concerned with what's best for them, control, making money, and covering their own ass from liability.

I'm talking purely from a fighter's stand point. F**k any commission, I've dealt with those pukes for over 15 years. Fighters pigeon hole their training "mission Specific" I get it. So if GSP wants to fight Hendo.....He should be able to. That's all.

I have been an advocate for fighter's rights since the beginning of the UFC. Always fighting the promoters, commissions , the owners of the venues etc. because the fighters are the last people that are considered. Back in the day it was a struggle just to get meal vouchers, shity hotels, forgotten rides back to the airport. And believe me it get's worst.
Sure today some of the athletes get star attention, but only because of all the money that's being made and still some are cheap F **ks.

Sorry for the rant, but fighters come first in my book. And what I'm talking about is the right to fight who you want to fight, not who someone else wants you to fight. .
8/9/11 1:10 AM
BshMstr
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demitrius Barbito -  I'm not in favor of this... From a purely sporting perspective.

agreed.

i think we would just see a bunch of big guys smashing the little guys again.....
8/15/11 12:10 AM
JKDilla

Joe Maffei - 
JKDilla - I doubt any state athletic commission would give the ok for "Absolute" rules in MMA for anyone more than a weight class apart... as in a 205er fighting a 170er.

No of course not. the athletic commissions as any corporation are only concerned with what's best for them, control, making money, and covering their own ass from liability.

I'm talking purely from a fighter's stand point. F**k any commission, I've dealt with those pukes for over 15 years. Fighters pigeon hole their training "mission Specific" I get it. So if GSP wants to fight Hendo.....He should be able to. That's all.

I have been an advocate for fighter's rights since the beginning of the UFC. Always fighting the promoters, commissions , the owners of the venues etc. because the fighters are the last people that are considered. Back in the day it was a struggle just to get meal vouchers, shity hotels, forgotten rides back to the airport. And believe me it get's worst.
Sure today some of the athletes get star attention, but only because of all the money that's being made and still some are cheap F **ks.

Sorry for the rant, but fighters come first in my book. And what I'm talking about is the right to fight who you want to fight, not who someone else wants you to fight. .

Man, you should see the BS the state athl. commission here in IL is doing to grappling tourneys

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/11/2269875/illinois-passes-bill-that-will-cripple-grappling-competitions

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.