UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Job Hunting Difficulties

7/28/11 4:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StrictScrutiny
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a recent law school grad that has been training BJJ and posting on the UG the past three years but just found this sub-forum. Has anyone else been having trouble finding a job in this economy? Is there hope for me?
7/28/11 6:39 PM
Cookie Monster
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you taken the bar? Are you a lawyer?

In a worst case scenerio you open your own shop. You might have to start small taking court appointed cases and knick knacky cases but if you bust your ass you can make things work.
7/29/11 7:25 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will graduate in December and have given up on finding a legal job.
7/30/11 12:24 AM
StrictScrutiny
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cookie Monster - Have you taken the bar? Are you a lawyer?

In a worst case scenerio you open your own shop. You might have to start small taking court appointed cases and knick knacky cases but if you bust your ass you can make things work.

I went to a tier-2 school and graduated in the top-third of my class. I was sworn-in to my state's bar a year ago. I was just wondering if the job market for attorneys is this bad everywhere.
8/1/11 7:14 PM
salyer36
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's terrible... People are either accepting jobs far below what they wanted, or not getting hired at all.

That's not to say people still aren't landing really good gigs, but by and large the market for attorneys entering the field is awful.
8/1/11 10:39 PM
Spc Lee Lohff
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NYC, a safe haven for big law jobs during the roughest parts of the recession, is experiencing a stall right now. Kids who bid NYC at on campus interviews are getting next to nothing. Chicago is experiencing a very slow rebound (only the larger firms have returned to decent hiring levels.) LA is a sucky place to be for legal jobs. Silicon Valley is doing ok for IP, not as great for transactional, and pretty badly for lit. Texas is doing ok, not great, but ok compared to other markets. Atlanta is rough.

The legal market is still a scary thing.
8/3/11 7:15 PM
StrictScrutiny

Spc Lee Lohff - NYC, a safe haven for big law jobs during the roughest parts of the recession, is experiencing a stall right now. Kids who bid NYC at on campus interviews are getting next to nothing. Chicago is experiencing a very slow rebound (only the larger firms have returned to decent hiring levels.) LA is a sucky place to be for legal jobs. Silicon Valley is doing ok for IP, not as great for transactional, and pretty badly for lit. Texas is doing ok, not great, but ok compared to other markets. Atlanta is rough.

The legal market is still a scary thing.

Thanks for sharing your observations. I sure hope the job market for attorneys improves!
8/5/11 2:12 AM
Chappie
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/19/11 11:14 PM
The market in Vegas is horrible, the average starting salary in 08 was around 70k, today it is closer to 50k. Tons of attorneys have given up on the hopes of finding a decent paying job and have simply went out on their own instead.
8/7/11 8:51 AM
kidpresentable
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

See the above.  Now i am finally with a good firm but it took a couple years of scratching up a living and even once with the good firm, i am making less than i would have made doing sales for my dad (3m) right after college.  But hey, at least i have a 100k piece of paper that i will own in 25 years.
8/12/11 8:47 PM
StrictScrutiny

^^Nick--thanks for sharing your experience. I really appreciate your post, as you were an inspiration to me as I was going through law school. I read about your story about how you took (and passed the bar exam) and fought for a championship at the same time. I will always be a fan of yours!
8/23/11 12:52 AM
dizz
641 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just graduated from a T10 law school and i don't have a job

i gotta start hustlinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.