UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The Fighting Style of Woodley

7/31/11 5:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
renegade87
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's like watching a plant grow. Maybe even worse than watching a plant grow. I know it's part of the sport, and I do respect and appreciate wrestling in MMA, but good God I am getting so aggravated with fighters like this. Frantically shooting and/or clinching. Once the clinch/takedown happens, you can literally fast forward through the rest of the round with no significant damage done, improvement of position, or submission attempts. Just a boring clock drain, with the fighter leaned against the fence/ on his back looking bored and safe, yet unable to escape/get up. Not trying to bash, but it's a fight, HURT someone. Phone Post
7/31/11 5:02 PM
Teenage mutant lesnar turtle
546 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7/31/11 5:10 PM
MaliceX
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/31/11 5:11 PM
He is exactly like Fitch

Matter of fact, just have these guys fight each other.
7/31/11 5:15 PM
renegade87
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Teenage mutant lesnar turtle -  
Lol, seriously though, were you able to watch that last night w/o drifting off in thought about something else? Something that had nothing to do with fighting? Either way, I'm not whining or bashing just trying to covered on the subject. Phone Post
7/31/11 5:18 PM
MickColins
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It amazed me that a guy from ATT couldn't pass Paul Daley's guard. It probably didnt help that he only tried a few times. The only thing making that fight watchable was Daley. I'm not a huge Daley fan but the dude got some respect from me last night.

On the board after the fight, they had Woodley landing two successful takedowns. Those takedowns won him 2 rounds and that's bullshit. Phone Post
7/31/11 5:20 PM
elgringo
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

renegade87 - Lol, seriously though, were you able to watch that last night w/o drifting off in thought about something else?

no, i was paying very close attention to the fight

there is a lot that goes on when they are fighting in the clinch, attempting takedowns, defending takedowns, trying to set up attacks, trading positions against the cage

all that stuff is very exciting for me to watch and study. im sorry to hear that this part of the sport doesn't interest you.

i also want to add that Woodley threw and landed more strikes than Daley on the feet, in the clinch and on the ground
7/31/11 5:25 PM
brahmabull81
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strikers are always getting outstruck due to the fear of tds lately. Its just like Overeem/Werdum. Its easy to give the illusion of outstriking a guy if you can trick him into being zoned into defending tds (you have to be a superb wrestler to do this), then catch him off guard with strikes between each td attempt. Dont act like thats not what this was. Its not as impressive as actually outstriking a guy.
7/31/11 5:29 PM
renegade87

MickColins - It amazed me that a guy from ATT couldn't pass Paul Daley's guard. It probably didnt help that he only tried a few times. The only thing making that fight watchable was Daley. I'm not a huge Daley fan but the dude got some respect from me last night.

On the board after the fight, they had Woodley landing two successful takedowns. Those takedowns won him 2 rounds and that's bullshit. Phone Post
I agree, I assume that was just him implementing his gameplan, which apparently was carpeting Daley an attempting to do only enough to avoid being stood up, and nothing more. Semtex sprawling and brawling was exciting, it had me wishing it were a five rounder. Phone Post
7/31/11 5:30 PM
renegade87

elgringo -
renegade87 - Lol, seriously though, were you able to watch that last night w/o drifting off in thought about something else?

no, i was paying very close attention to the fight

there is a lot that goes on when they are fighting in the clinch, attempting takedowns, defending takedowns, trying to set up attacks, trading positions against the cage

all that stuff is very exciting for me to watch and study. im sorry to hear that this part of the sport doesn't interest you.

i also want to add that Woodley threw and landed more strikes than Daley on the feet, in the clinch and on the ground
It does interest me, and I do pay attention to those small "battles" going on, however, there just wasn't enough of it going on last night. Woodley was content to be in Daley's guard at the very least. Phone Post
7/31/11 5:32 PM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"@Compustrike: Woodley outlands Daley 78-36 in total strikes"

"@Compustrike: Through 2 rounds, Woodley has outlanded Daley 59-22"

"@Compustrike: Woodley outlanded Daley 32-9 in strikes landed in round 2"

"@Compustrike: Woodley outlands Daley 27-13 in total strikes in round 1"
7/31/11 5:40 PM
ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makes sense until you take into account the fact that he finishes most of his fights and he won this one with his grappling AND by outstriking Daley. You are basically saying Daley sucks so bad that he should have been finished? Go back to worshiping butt flopping and boring guard players...the REAL lay and pray from BJJers that's killing the sport.
7/31/11 5:48 PM
Silverball
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's not get crazy with the Woodley outstruck Daley nonsense. If you actually watched the fight, then you know that Woodley had no intention of trading with Daley. He outwrestled and controlled Daley enough to win a decision.

Fitch comparisons should take into account that Fitch doesn't gas. Phone Post
7/31/11 5:49 PM
Eveready
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Worshiping buttfloppers? Werdum got a load of shit for his "performance" vs Overeem and rightly so. Daley was the only one trying to fight in the slightest during that fight, they should be docked points for stalling. The lay and pray apologists around here are fucking weird, I really cannot understand where they're coming from. The only conclusion I can come to is that they wrestled for a year back in middle school and when someone wrestlefucks for a decision it makes them feel like they would beat Floyd Mayweather in a fight.
7/31/11 5:50 PM
gaycuckold

Remember when Pat Militech said Tyron Woodley is one of the top wrestlers in MMA and the best athlete in the sport?
7/31/11 5:50 PM
Eveready
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The comparisons to Fitch are laughable as well, Fitch may well not be trying to finish or be entertaining but at least he works.
7/31/11 5:57 PM
ausgepicht

Eveready - Worshiping buttfloppers? Werdum got a load of shit for his "performance" vs Overeem and rightly so. Daley was the only one trying to fight in the slightest during that fight, they should be docked points for stalling. The lay and pray apologists around here are fucking weird, I really cannot understand where they're coming from. The only conclusion I can come to is that they wrestled for a year back in middle school and when someone wrestlefucks for a decision it makes them feel like they would beat Floyd Mayweather in a fight.
Only guys who can't wrestle are bitching about fights like that. They are biased BJJers. They don't see anything wrong with a guy buttflopping or laying and praying in the guard. BJJers playing lazy guard has gotten so bad that for the first time in the sport you can get stood up.

Daley hardly threw any strikes. He was incredibly inactive and didn't do much, let alone try to win the fight. With your noob logic Daley threw more strikes and had more takedowns because he didn't want to finish? LOL...that's just fucking DUMB.

Woodley has had 9 fights and finished 6 of them, so STFU and stop your crying. You can't finish them all, and because he didn't finish Daley is less about Woodley's offense and more about Daley's defense and tenacity. He's no slouch and isn't easy to finish. 

You only come across as a sore loser and a biased moran. 

7/31/11 6:05 PM
MickColins
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -
Eveready - Worshiping buttfloppers? Werdum got a load of shit for his "performance" vs Overeem and rightly so. Daley was the only one trying to fight in the slightest during that fight, they should be docked points for stalling. The lay and pray apologists around here are fucking weird, I really cannot understand where they're coming from. The only conclusion I can come to is that they wrestled for a year back in middle school and when someone wrestlefucks for a decision it makes them feel like they would beat Floyd Mayweather in a fight.
Only guys who can't wrestle are bitching about fights like that. They are biased BJJers. They don't see anything wrong with a guy buttflopping or laying and praying in the guard. BJJers playing lazy guard has gotten so bad that for the first time in the sport you can get stood up.

Daley hardly threw any strikes. He was incredibly inactive and didn't do much, let alone try to win the fight. With your noob logic Daley threw more strikes and had more takedowns because he didn't want to finish? LOL...that's just fucking DUMB.

Woodley has had 9 fights and finished 6 of them, so STFU and stop your crying. You can't finish them all, and because he didn't finish Daley is less about Woodley's offense and more about Daley's defense and tenacity. He's no slouch and isn't easy to finish. 

2 friends of mine didn't want to go to the Strikeforce fights because they didn't want to watch " wrestlers laying on each other". One of them has gone to MMA shows before but not anymore. So it's not just BJJ buttfloppers. Troll harder, Augie. Phone Post
7/31/11 6:07 PM
ausgepicht

Edited: 07/31/11 6:08 PM
MickColins - 
ausgepicht -

2 friends of mine didn't want to go to the Strikeforce fights because they didn't want to watch " wrestlers laying on each other". One of them has gone to MMA shows before but not anymore. So it's not just BJJ buttfloppers. Troll harder, Augie. Phone Post
So you're saying that BJJers have the same understanding as a mainstream fan? Makes sense.

Did you teach them how awesome buttflopping is? About how to lay in the guard and do nothing and how exciting it is? How about how awesome they are if the buy a GJJ or TapOut bumper sticker and how it makes you a real fan?

You and your friends are biased, amateur, uneducated about the sport mainstream fans. Plain and simple.

7/31/11 6:11 PM
Eveready

ausgepicht - 

<br type="_moz" />

I assume you mean that Woodley threw more strike and got more takedowns because he wanted to finish, which is bullshit, you know the only reason Woodley wanted the takedown was to avoid Daleys stand up game. Since when has getting a takedown mean you want to finish the fight? Whenever he got there he literally lay in Daleys guard and did fuck all. Daley was active off his back, he was trying to get up and even lost position because he was trying to get up.

He finished a load of cans, out of his last 4 fights he's finished 1, against Galvao who looked like he was tripping on acid and had no idea what the fuck was going on.

I've no idea what the fuck you're on about by it being more about Daleys defense that Woodleys offense, if Daley was more aggressive he would have been taken down more just for Woodley to lay there and do fuck all while Daley tried to get up.

I really don't see how I come across as a sore loser, what the fuck have I lost at? I didn't fight last night. If anything you're the one who's lost, you like watching men dry hump for fucks sake.
7/31/11 6:18 PM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quickest way to lose points with me as a fan is to hide on your knees in the "grounded" position when your opponent gets up to knee you in the face. Woodley did that like 3-4 times in the last round, so annoying
7/31/11 6:22 PM
Eveready

smoogy -  Quickest way to lose points with me as a fan is to hide on your knees in the "grounded" position when your opponent gets up to knee you in the face. Woodley did that like 3-4 times in the last round, so annoying

Yeah that was pretty bad, if they don't just allow knees to the head of grounded opponents then they should change the definition of grounded.
7/31/11 6:39 PM
Purgey
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shows how little you know him if you wanna call Woodley a boring fighter you're in the same crowd that calls Guida boring because they're both wrestlers taking advantage of OBVIOUS weaknesses and using they're strength's

Watch a guys fights and not they're latest performance it'd be like me saying Daley is a stand and banger who can't take a punch and Anthony Johnson can't stand for his life
7/31/11 6:42 PM
MickColins

ausgepicht -
MickColins - 
ausgepicht -

So you're saying that BJJers have the same understanding as a mainstream fan? Makes sense.

Did you teach them how awesome buttflopping is? About how to lay in the guard and do nothing and how exciting it is? How about how awesome they are if the buy a GJJ or TapOut bumper sticker and how it makes you a real fan?

You and your friends are biased, amateur, uneducated about the sport mainstream fans. Plain and simple.

The two guys I mentioned are casual fans. They don't give a shot about styles. They don't want to watch boring fights. Sports grow because casual fans become hardcore fans. The NFL was once the bastard child of college football. The NFL went out of it's way to make casual fans into hardcore fans. Pissing on casual and mainstream fans like some kind of sportsbar elitist is pretty sad and lacks intelligence. Phone Post
7/31/11 7:39 PM
Poindexter
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Radio Raheem - "@Compustrike: Woodley outlands Daley 78-36 in total strikes"

"@Compustrike: Through 2 rounds, Woodley has outlanded Daley 59-22"

"@Compustrike: Woodley outlanded Daley 32-9 in strikes landed in round 2"

"@Compustrike: Woodley outlands Daley 27-13 in total strikes in round 1"

7/31/11 7:40 PM
chesty_1775

i think T Wood is a damn good fighter..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.