UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Home media server advice

7/31/11 10:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
carloss1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my situation below...

Currently I have 2 HTPC's, with one of them running windows 7 and storing all of my videos, music, etc. that gets accessed by all other devices on the network. I was thinking of purchasing an apple tv 2, jail breaking it and putting xbmc on it to replace one of the boxes, and turning that box into a dedicated server. I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether it would be worth it? like what other cool things can i do with a server running in my home.

If it matters, besides those 2 HTPC's, my flatmate and I have other devices and computers that connect to the network and access files, etc. I'm just thinking it would be nice to find a way to organize everything so to speak and keep everything "connected" correctly to the network.

Any ideas?
8/1/11 4:20 PM
migwar
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Have a friend who recently bought an Acer Revo which boots into XBMC, VESA mounted to his TV works a charm
8/2/11 2:32 AM
carloss1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for the suggestion migwar, i think it might be cheaper to buy an apple tv2 though, it's only a hundred bucks and really the most i'll have to do is jailbreak it and put xbmc on it.

I think i'm going to try and make an ubuntu server using this guide:

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/

it seems to check all the boxes of what i want to be able to do with my server. I'm wondering though if attaching my NTFS formatted drives to it internally via SATA will require me to format it first?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.