UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Home media server advice

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/31/11 10:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
carloss1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my situation below...

Currently I have 2 HTPC's, with one of them running windows 7 and storing all of my videos, music, etc. that gets accessed by all other devices on the network. I was thinking of purchasing an apple tv 2, jail breaking it and putting xbmc on it to replace one of the boxes, and turning that box into a dedicated server. I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether it would be worth it? like what other cool things can i do with a server running in my home.

If it matters, besides those 2 HTPC's, my flatmate and I have other devices and computers that connect to the network and access files, etc. I'm just thinking it would be nice to find a way to organize everything so to speak and keep everything "connected" correctly to the network.

Any ideas?
8/1/11 4:20 PM
migwar
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I Have a friend who recently bought an Acer Revo which boots into XBMC, VESA mounted to his TV works a charm
8/2/11 2:32 AM
carloss1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks for the suggestion migwar, i think it might be cheaper to buy an apple tv2 though, it's only a hundred bucks and really the most i'll have to do is jailbreak it and put xbmc on it.

I think i'm going to try and make an ubuntu server using this guide:

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/

it seems to check all the boxes of what i want to be able to do with my server. I'm wondering though if attaching my NTFS formatted drives to it internally via SATA will require me to format it first?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.