UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> How to increase punching power?

8/1/11 6:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SwaggerJacker
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody know? I know this is a noob question but I haven't had the chance to ask my instructor yet. I know hitting the heavy bag helps, but what else can I do to get more power? Phone Post
8/1/11 8:55 PM
buddie
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best answer is improve your technique.
8/1/11 11:46 PM
chadk
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Improving your technique will maximize whatever power you do have. However, I'm a believer that you either have heavy hands or you dont. You can refine your delivery all you want but true punchers are born that way.
8/2/11 1:22 AM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When it comes to applying it in the ring, which is the most important, technique, footwork and balance are big factors.
8/2/11 10:51 AM
e. kaye

chadk - Improving your technique will maximize whatever power you do have. However, I'm a believer that you either have heavy hands or you dont. You can refine your delivery all you want but true punchers are born that way.

I agree for the most part.  But good technique can make a huge difference.  Then again, there are guys that will always have pillows for hands not matter what you teach them.
8/2/11 1:35 PM
FrateTrane_MaimedShane
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can maximize your power by making your technique as good as possible but there's still always going to be guys that come in the gym on their first day with crummy technique that can hit like a truck.

A woman at my gym is 130lbs looks like she has no muscle on her, technique isn't terrible but not great. P4P she is the hardest puncher we have.
8/2/11 6:18 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

technique technique technique also something a lot of guys underestimate is punching accuracy. Some KO artist in my opinion are such because of accuracy not pure power, think felix trinidad, A lot of punches I have hurt people with were not even hard shots, they just landed clean and were accurate
8/3/11 10:29 AM
BshMstr
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/03/11 10:36 AM
i agree with the other posts....

technique is always gonna be the #1 thing, because even if your power doesn't increase as much, your efficiency will, and you can throw crisp, sharp punches without tiring as much.

some people are born more explosive than others, just as some are stronger while others are more geared for endurance. you can improve all these qualities to a point, but i think training should focus on technique, at least for beginners...
8/6/11 7:27 PM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Putting your bodyweight behind your punches will help. Ideally you only want your arm to relay the momentum and mass of the rest of your body onto the other guy.
8/8/11 1:56 AM
Beefy Wellington

Years of hitting the heavy bag and conditioning your wrists, elbows, and shoulders for the impact. If an average Joe just walked in off the streets and hit the bag as hard as he COULD, he'd likely jack somethin up pretty bad IMHO. Phone Post
8/8/11 4:38 AM
Beefy Wellington

A lot of guys can hit hard in the street but there bodies could never handle a hardcore boxing regiment without building up themselves first. And it's those hours of work in the gym that give you power for a whole fight, not just a couple of rounds. I've hit the bag wrong plenty of times and I tell you what, ain't no better teacher than trying and error IMHO. Phone Post
8/9/11 3:00 PM
New2MMA
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Concentrate on not just proper pivoting and turning the hip when punching, but also on shifting the weight when punching.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.