UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Books and Videos on Point Fighting

8/1/11 9:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kido777
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thinking about getting into some Tournaments in a few months, but I'd like to read up on the subject in my own time before we start training.

Any good books or videos on the subject?
8/2/11 12:20 PM
Kido777
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So far, I've ordered "Winning Tournament Karate" by Chuck Norris, "American Freestyle Karate" by Dan Anderson, and "Fighters Factbook" by Loren W. Christensen.

Any suggestions you guys have would be helpful!
8/5/11 9:47 AM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/05/11 9:47 AM
 ^ Agree on Dan Anderson's book.

Main thing to realize is that it's not technique or so much skill that allows you to win in Tournament play, it's knowing how to play the game. You have to be:
1. Fast off the start line;
2. Know how to 'act' - raise your hand even if you didn't make the point, act like you won the exchange;
3. Know what the refs look for;
4. Work on one or two high scoring techniques - jump backfist counter and lunge reverse punch, retreating back kick - and not a whole bunch of stuff (unless you're Raymond Daniels).

Do a lot of tournaments and learn as you go - don't expect to read a book and figure out 'best sequences' and win right away. It's almost all experience on how tournaments are run.

HTH

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.