UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> I'm white and I don't get it

8/1/11 11:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThePoopWizard
396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why aren't we good in boxing? Why aren't whites good!? Or at least common we run kick boxing and mma why not boxing ? Phone Post
8/2/11 12:04 AM
ThePoopWizard
396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not trying to be racist? I'm curious about how demographically raves dominate different combat sorts Phone Post
8/2/11 1:20 AM
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White Americans are not good at boxing. Russians are good, UK for a small country is well represented, so are a number of the Eastern European ones.

These days white Americans don't seem to care much about boxing. I'll probably get flamed for this one, but since I'm a white American I'll post it anyway. IMO being able to dance carries over a lot of attributes to boxing. Demographically on average white Americans are probably the worst dancers in the world, I don't think it's genetic but a cultural issue. I think this shows up when they try and box and have issues with footwork, balance, rythm and fluid movement.
8/2/11 12:16 PM
chadk
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't all that long ago that "white" guys were as good as anyone else in boxing. I think it has to do a lot more with economics than skin color. When we had large numbers of Jewish, Irish, and Italian immigrants, we had large numbers of them boxing. Thing was, they were largely poor (as most immigrants tend to be) and boxing seems to be a poor man's sport for the most part. As ethnic groups assimilate and move out of poverty, they get away from boxing and are replaced by the next wave of immigrants.
8/2/11 12:19 PM
ThePoopWizard

Very cognitive responses they all make sense the rhythm ones I believe. Ok taking Salsa soon. Phone Post
8/2/11 2:42 PM
New School

chadk - Wasn't all that long ago that "white" guys were as good as anyone else in boxing. I think it has to do a lot more with economics than skin color. When we had large numbers of Jewish, Irish, and Italian immigrants, we had large numbers of them boxing. Thing was, they were largely poor (as most immigrants tend to be) and boxing seems to be a poor man's sport for the most part. As ethnic groups assimilate and move out of poverty, they get away from boxing and are replaced by the next wave of immigrants.

This. Boxing has generally been an inner city sport. The waves of white immigrants have assimilated and move out of the inner cities. Poor whites today are typically rural. There just isn't a large talent pool to draw from in places like Pikeville, KY or Dora, AL.
8/2/11 3:03 PM
ThePoopWizard

New School -
chadk - Wasn't all that long ago that "white" guys were as good as anyone else in boxing. I think it has to do a lot more with economics than skin color. When we had large numbers of Jewish, Irish, and Italian immigrants, we had large numbers of them boxing. Thing was, they were largely poor (as most immigrants tend to be) and boxing seems to be a poor man's sport for the most part. As ethnic groups assimilate and move out of poverty, they get away from boxing and are replaced by the next wave of immigrants.

This. Boxing has generally been an inner city sport. The waves of white immigrants have assimilated and move out of the inner cities. Poor whites today are typically rural. There just isn't a large talent pool to draw from in places like Pikeville, KY or Dora, AL.
I have been enlightened thank you Phone Post
8/2/11 6:12 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

i am white and can box
8/3/11 2:57 PM
jw234
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kenny Weldon say that gyms don't teach rhythm anymore, that if you don't come in with natural rhythm, they kick you out.
8/3/11 3:04 PM
ThePoopWizard

fearOfABlackPlanet - i am white and can box
I believe you Phone Post
8/3/11 3:04 PM
ThePoopWizard

jw234 - Kenny Weldon say that gyms don't teach rhythm anymore, that if you don't come in with natural rhythm, they kick you out.
I have rhythm in wrestling not boxing yet Phone Post
8/3/11 7:50 PM
Chappie
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is odd, I have seen numerous white amatuer fighters who were very good, but who for whatever reason never elected to go pro. As has been pointed out above, there are a numerous Russian and German fighters who are world class, negating the ethnic inferority argument. If I had to guess as to why there are so few white American fighters who are worth a shit, I would delegate blame to socioeconomic issues and a decline in interest among North American whites.
8/4/11 10:26 AM
ThePoopWizard

MIsoldier - I am white and had a decent amateur career. I won both Junior Olympic and a Golden Glove title. I wasn't some pudgy white guy when I started out, I was on my High Schools freshman basketball team, JV football team, and I ran track when I started boxing. I quit football and basketball to focus on boxing. I continue to do long distance track for conditiong purposes.

I developed a pretty good rhythm and footwork. I trained at a predominately African American gym so this might have something to do with it along with my athletic ability.

But as one poster previously stated boxing is a poor mans sport. The majority of boxing gyms can be found in the inner city. White people tend to avoid the ghetto. I am sure there are some white kids playing football and basketball right now who made excellent boxers, but have neither the desire too fight or access to a boxing gym.
Too true il be living down town in Chicago hopefully they have goof boxing Phone Post
8/4/11 9:49 PM
OneScoup

jw234 - Kenny Weldon say that gyms don't teach rhythm anymore, that if you don't come in with natural rhythm, they kick you out.

Interesting you mention this, my trainer won't admit it but as far as I can tell his entire regiment of training is a Kenny Weldon ripoff. I built my rythm, balance and footwork over years of doing the drills he has on his vids.

I see a lot of white fighter half ass those parts, they want to wail on the bag and get in the ring and brawl. I notice black and latino fighters starting out seem to have more interest in working that stuff and come in with a predisposition to pick it up. After years of watching and thinking about this I came up with the theory I posted above.
8/4/11 9:57 PM
ThePoopWizard

OneScoup -
jw234 - Kenny Weldon say that gyms don't teach rhythm anymore, that if you don't come in with natural rhythm, they kick you out.

Interesting you mention this, my trainer won't admit it but as far as I can tell his entire regiment of training is a Kenny Weldon ripoff. I built my rythm, balance and footwork over years of doing the drills he has on his vids.

I see a lot of white fighter half ass those parts, they want to wail on the bag and get in the ring and brawl. I notice black and latino fighters starting out seem to have more interest in working that stuff and come in with a predisposition to pick it up. After years of watching and thinking about this I came up with the theory I posted above.
What are these vids and what drills I need to work on this now! Phone Post
8/6/11 12:11 AM
OneScoup

You used to be able to find pirated vids on YouTube, you might actually have to pull out your wallet and buy some. But worth it IMO.
8/6/11 7:19 PM
HULC
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The HW champion of the world is white.
8/7/11 2:01 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boxing is hard and dangerous. People who have the option of making a living doing safer easier things usually choose to do them.
8/8/11 1:58 AM
Beefy Wellington

Well said OneScoup. Could be : - / Phone Post
8/9/11 8:01 PM
m.g
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In regards to rhythm and footwork in boxing, I think many African Amercians and other ethic groups, such as Latinos, draw from other activities, many of them cultural and rooted in cultural traditions, that help them develop those attributes.

For example, a few months ago I posted a video about the influence of Salsa on the Cuban brand of boxing. Salsa, as many of us know, is a common and popular form of dance in Cuba, it is recreational activity but it is also a cultural tradition. Everyone, in some degree, know about or has been exposed to Salsa. The dynamics of this activity carries over to boxing in Cuba.

Now, in regards to the economics in boxing, I think it is true that the majority of those who make a living out of boxing either as a serious amateur or professional are, for the most part, on the lower end of the economic scale. For such individuals boxing is, not only their means of income, but more so a means of moving up the economic ladder. In other words boxing for them is WORK. It is important for such a person to do well in boxing or they won't survive because they essentially can't do anything else.

If, on the other hand, one is already well off economically and financially then boxing (or any other sport/physical activity) for them is not necessary. Such a person does not have to do well in boxing, let alone even box. For such a person boxing is a hobby and not a job. For such a person there is no fire to do well in boxing.

Across the board, in most professional sports (and serious amateur sports) the better athletes usually come from the lower end of the economic spectrum.
8/9/11 9:26 PM
OneScoup

My son is 3 years old, and I'm committed to ensuring he learns to dance along with other preparation for athletics. I truly believe it affects white American athletes in many sports.
8/10/11 4:59 PM
HULC
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't dance for shite (no rhythm) but footwork is probably my strongest point, and the area i picked up most easily.
8/10/11 5:31 PM
ThePoopWizard

My footworks alright I'm gonna dance Phone Post
8/13/11 3:30 PM
OneScoup

If you're already boxing I am not suggesting you go back and learn to dance, as it's not the most efficient way to develop as a boxer. Work on boxing form, do footwork drills, lots of them and put an emphasis on them. But for god's sake don't give up on this stuff and be one of those white pro boxers who (for example) still can't boxing moving backwards, etc.

What I was trying to say is that starting the sport, people from some cultures come in pre-built with certain attributes that translate well, others give up on these attributes from the start.
8/13/11 3:30 PM
ThePoopWizard

OneScoup - If you're already boxing I am not suggesting you go back and learn to dance, as it's not the most efficient way to develop as a boxer. Work on boxing form, do footwork drills, lots of them and put an emphasis on them. But for god's sake don't give up on this stuff and be one of those white pro boxers who (for example) still can't boxing moving backwards, etc.

What I was trying to say is that starting the sport, people from some cultures come in pre-built with certain attributes that translate well, others give up on these attributes from the start.
Interesting I appreciate that Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.