UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Is It Too Late To Pick Up Wrestling?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/3/11 5:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
godwillingbro
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys I just turned 26. I have been an athlete my whole life. I grew up playing hockey recreationally and competitively. Judo competitively and Boxing and BJJ recreationally. I am feeling alot of regret now in my 'atheltic' life because I never seized any of the opportunities my coaches and parents offered me time and time again.

Lately I have became a huge amateur wrestling fan. It reminds me alot of judo but the training regime and benefits towards MMA seem invaluable. I was wondering how far a guy like myself with no hands on wrestling experience could take it and what he would have to do. I am not saying I am good at wrestling, but I know I can probably hang with some collegiate wrestlers with my current shape and judo/bjj background. Starting this late is it possible to attain high levels of competition or has that boat sailed a long time ago?

Please give me your honest opinions guys.
8/4/11 3:23 AM
SFC_Fighter

you would get mercilessly destroyed by good college wrestlers and i doubt you could make it through a hard wrestling practice if youve never wrestled

i know guys who started in their late 20s and became good at the college level. it took unusual dedication because its hard to find opportunities when you are that old.

look up wrestling schools and usa wrestling clubs in your area.

expect to get beat up for 1-5 years before you can hang with good college guys (depending on how many times a week you train)
8/4/11 9:29 AM
ChipW
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never to late. I'm mostly a bjj guy but I started wrestling at 40.....seriously. I've only wrestled with 1 college guy and yes, he can wreck me when he wants to. I'm lucky he takes pitty on me and actually teaches me most of the time rather than wreck me. I've wrestled some high school kids my size and I can actually hang pretty good.
It's never to late to start something you want to do. It's all about how much you want something. I'll never be at a collegiate level but my bjj stand up game is way better than it was. Phone Post
8/4/11 11:52 AM
BshMstr
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

godwillingbro - Hey guys I just turned 26. I have been an athlete my whole life. I grew up playing hockey recreationally and competitively. Judo competitively and Boxing and BJJ recreationally. I am feeling alot of regret now in my 'atheltic' life because I never seized any of the opportunities my coaches and parents offered me time and time again.

Lately I have became a huge amateur wrestling fan. It reminds me alot of judo but the training regime and benefits towards MMA seem invaluable. I was wondering how far a guy like myself with no hands on wrestling experience could take it and what he would have to do. I am not saying I am good at wrestling, but I know I can probably hang with some collegiate wrestlers with my current shape and judo/bjj background. Starting this late is it possible to attain high levels of competition or has that boat sailed a long time ago?

Please give me your honest opinions guys.

well, unless you are unusually genetically gifted, i doubt you'll be too competitive in wrestling against a collegiate wrestler. most people start wrestling young, and have an insane level of experience.

with that being said, i think if you focused on wrestling, in order to benefit you in MMA, judo or BJJ, i think you can make some serious strides. i briefly wrestled in HS, and after seeeing GSP's success, prioritized my wrestling to help my BJJ as i've gotten older (i'm 35 now). granted, i'm nowhere near his level, but my double-leg is now pretty good, and because i used a lot of wrestling drills (the sit-out, for one), my scrambling ability is pretty good, too.

i guess the real question, is what are you looking to do with wrestling?
8/4/11 4:56 PM
godwillingbro

Very good points and tips guys.. Well I should clarify, what I meant by 'hang' with some collegiate wrestlers is that my skill for certain techniques and hand fighting/snapping from judo is pretty close if not equal to a guy that is on a team and rides the bench..now im not talking Iowa or OSU..but I am sure I could score a point or two in a 7 min match on a guy that rides the bench from like a D3 school with my current abilities.

I used to spar a collegiate wrestler in Judo alot. He was varsity, starting. He would get the occasional single and double on me..but granted we had a gi and I am not a YMCA judo guy, i would mostly sprawl on him and could get away..

The thing I like obviously is experience and the speed/tenacity these guys attain over the years. I am sure if I dedicated myself I could become half way decent.

My aspirations are not to go back to college and wrestle..I was thinking more like regional tournaments with a mix of X-college guys, highschool guys and immigrants from other systems.. I don't know if they have those type of tournaments. I also want it as experience, physical fitness/training and skill for a possible move into Amateur MMA as I have alot of standup exp.

I also want to do it because I just enjoy the sport. It doesn't get much more pure than wrestling imo. the Closest next thing is boxing to me.

thanks for your tips. I need to find a place to train.
8/4/11 9:25 PM
ChipW
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

godwillingbro,
USA wrestlings website lists age groups beyond college so there must be masters tournaments somewhere .  Maybe contact them to find one in your area?
http://www.themat.com/forms/Weights.pdf

At the Georgia games Freestyle and greco tournament last year there were a couple of old guys getting after it. I thought they were just an exhibition but maybe not. I was there with  my 9 yr old son.   
Good luck with it, i hope you find a place to train and compete.  Post here if you find out any info

8/17/11 10:56 PM
uglee

master tournys are usauly held on the friday night before saturday kids freestyle compitions. At least they used to be. The youth folkstyle movement has proable hindered freestyle and greco tournys and therfore there may be less oppertunites. I don't know if they offer masters leval for folkstyle. I see no reason why with some hard work you couldn't be moderatly succeasful at a regional leval. Meaning you could place at local tournys (with some work) however beating the true high leval guys proable won't happen. Your judo should help. good luck bro
9/14/11 6:32 AM
WRESTLENOW

its never too late to start wrestling;

you need to define your goals though, if you want to become a national champion or have your sights set on international competition you will need some divine intervention. If you just want to build your skill-set up and gain a great array of skills for MMA and grappling then i think it would be great, In over 2 decades of wrestling both competing and coaching I have only seen ONE guy just SURVIVE a college wrestling program as a walk on with no experience and he was very mentally tough and a hell of a natural athlete, i have seen several Dozens start out and get beaten down and ground out within days.

When you say you think you can "hang" are you referring to Wrestling, MMA or Grappling?
9/23/11 11:37 PM
Zrazys

One can learn Judo, or BJJ at any age because those arts are geared to not just competitive sports, but for recreational players. The typical Judo player, or BJJ player probably doesn't care much about competition and, just enjoys attending class, learning and, getting great exercise. Wrestling is still all sport and, it doesn't seem there are many options for recreational wrestlers.

Someone interested in no gi grappling from a wrestling base might have a great opportunity to start that type of school in an area with lot's of ex high school wrestlers. When I was back in the Pittsburgh area, that type of school seemed to outnumber the gi oriented BJJ schools.
10/25/11 4:07 AM
Truemanc3
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its never to late to learn!
10/25/11 11:48 AM
murryhill

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/21773

Headkicker84 - I saw this guy on ESPN a few days ago that made it to the National JUCO tournament at 36. He was a recovering addict that had never wrestled before.

10/25/11 9:07 PM
ChipW

How many adults actually have access to a wrestling facility or school?  In my area there is really not any programs for adults.  My kid wrestles and ive been able to get my foot in the door that way. We have a few adults and the coach doesnt mind that we show up for practice as long as we dont get in the way.  LOL

Im just wondering how many places are there where guys beyond college age can get wrestling instruction.  I think there pretty sparce now but i bet we start seeing more in the near future. 
10/26/11 9:03 PM
Empire
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChipW,

I have been wrestling w/ guys that were wrestlers during my bjj years over the past 11 years. No formal wrestling training or in HS or college. I joined a club here in albany, ny region that hasa phenomenal program. It's run March to November and is open to a vast range of ages. most of the people there are in HS and wrestle year round but i've been lucky to find them and team up w/ them...

www.journeymenwrestling.com

on a side note, i'm trying to get the word out on the wrestling duals and mma fan fest weekend coming up in November.

For more info:

10/26/11 9:15 PM
ChipW

Thats really cool Empire.  The program ive been going to is mostly High School as well with a few adults.   Its run by one of the University of Tenn. at Chattanooga's coaches though so its really good instruction. 

Journeyman looks like a really good program.  Were kind of behind the times with wrestling in the south but its picking up momentum fast. 
10/27/11 7:09 PM
Empire
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dude, I AM BEHIND THE TIMES.
11/9/11 8:13 PM
KNJacobs
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SFC_Fighter -  its hard to find opportunities when you are that old.

look up wrestling schools and usa wrestling clubs in your area.

expect to get beat up for 1-5 years before you can hang with good college guys (depending on how many times a week you train)

Absolutely agree, I actually tried to walk on in College and wasn't able to due to school funding (Limits on size of the squad). I then traded my singlet and wrestling shoes for a BJJ Gi.

That being said I still find myself training wrestling with other ex-wrestlers, or ones in the off-season. It's never too late to learn something new...ask Georges St. Pierre.
4/20/12 6:56 PM
wtliftr

I also agree- it's never too late to try something new. That being said, I also would like to learn how to wrestle. Does ANYONE know of any opportunities around Raleigh, NC for an adult to learn how to wrestle??
Any help/ suggestions would be very much appreciated!
4/21/12 10:46 AM
BshMstr
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wtliftr -  I also agree- it's never too late to try something new. That being said, I also would like to learn how to wrestle. Does ANYONE know of any opportunities around Raleigh, NC for an adult to learn how to wrestle??

i'm not from the NC area, but you might want to check with some local high schools. depending on the coach, they might not mind teaching an adult, especially if they need someone to train with one of their athletes (i'm think heavyweight-ish here)
4/24/12 12:29 PM
thePetester

How competitive were you in Judo?

If you were national level (meaning you trained at any of the national training centers 5X a week and fought internationally) you will be able to hang, training wise, with most college wrestlers, you are only 26 so you are a prime adult. Scoring on them without a gi is going to be a different story though. Depending on your style, some things will transition great, others will be terrible. The talent pool in judo in the US is so small that it just isn't comparable to the pool in wrestling. But, if you went overseas for camps and tourneys, etc then you have an equivalent talent pool and in some ways even bigger.

The only exposure alot of people have to judo is the Y judo, which is what a lot of the comments you are seeing are referring to or implying.
4/24/12 3:55 PM
thePetester

wtliftr -  I also agree- it's never too late to try something new. That being said, I also would like to learn how to wrestle. Does ANYONE know of any opportunities around Raleigh, NC for an adult to learn how to wrestle??

Call arrichion wrestling club. I don't know if they do mma/sub wrestling for adults, the one in Charlotte does. If they do mma/sub wrestling, you will learn very good wrestling. It is very $$$ for high school kids though, but they produce very good wrestlers.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.