UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Who is the one to watch for arm drags?

8/5/11 7:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shemhazai
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Howdy! I'm a BJJ guy looking to improve my standup grappling. I'm a big fan of arm drags and Russian ties, and was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the direction of some wrestlers (maybe Greco?) to watch specifically for arm drag technique. If these guys have any instructionals available on the web, even better. I've watched Sergey Beloglasov's material on the Russian tie, but can't seem to find any similar in-depth material on the arm drag online. Details on wrist manipulation, setups from an inside tie, re-drags, counters to the re-drag and so forth, are all things I'd love to learn the finer details of if possible.

Also, if any of y'all are great arm draggers, feel free to chime in with any valuable details. :)

Cheers.
8/13/11 1:34 PM
nogblublt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly the best person for arm drags as far as bjj/grappling would be Marcelo Garcia. He's used them against a lot of great wrestlers. Phone Post
8/13/11 3:20 PM
ChipW
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/13/11 3:20 PM
 Pablo Popovich hits a nice arm drag  into a trip thats really nice as well.  he hits it a lot but here is an example at :15 above
8/14/11 7:10 AM
Shemhazai
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the tips, though I'm already very familiar with both Garcia and Popovitch, as well as their instructional material. What I'm looking for at the moment are pure wrestlers who are known for their arm drag, particularly guys who specialize in upper body takedowns (i.e. not just using the drag to set up leg attacks). I realize that this may be very specific, but I'm confident that some of you know some good Greco guys and maybe a couple of eclectic Eastern block freestyle dudes.

Also, does anybody have any examples of this throw/entry being used in wrestling? I've seen it taught a couple of places, including Beloglasov's instructional, but am curious to see it in a fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OCJq088n1M
8/20/11 3:02 PM
uglee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.flowrestling.org/premiumvideos/361871-Terry-Brands-Gets-Technical-An-Arm-Drag-Series-and-Finer-Points

Terry Brands Iowa coach on drags from flow wrestling need to subscribe but flow is an excellant source for wrestling related videos
8/24/11 11:41 PM
nowaydo
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ivan has a good section on drags on his DVD.
12/10/11 7:33 PM
Il Principe
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shemhazai - Howdy! I'm a BJJ guy looking to improve my standup grappling. I'm a big fan of arm drags and Russian ties, and was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the direction of some wrestlers (maybe Greco?) to watch specifically for arm drag technique. If these guys have any instructionals available on the web, even better. I've watched Sergey Beloglasov's material on the Russian tie, but can't seem to find any similar in-depth material on the arm drag online. Details on wrist manipulation, setups from an inside tie, re-drags, counters to the re-drag and so forth, are all things I'd love to learn the finer details of if possible.

Also, if any of y'all are great arm draggers, feel free to chime in with any valuable details. :)

Cheers.

Arm drag, back take, suplex.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqkkvw9MMb1qzdevi.jpg
12/13/11 4:41 PM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Find the old Kurt angle video he had some very nice arm drags

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.