UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> America's SHW Olympian

8/6/11 3:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
buddie
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the description provided by USA boxing of Super Heavyweight representative Lenroy Thompson

Height: 6-3

Began boxing: 2006

Did you know: Was cut from every sports team in High School

Too small, too inexperienced and apparently not even a good athlete. This is the best we can come up with these days?
8/7/11 5:32 PM
Chappie
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/07/11 5:32 PM
Your concerns are somewhat well founded. Thompson actually boxes out of the same gym that I did for a while many years ago (damn, I am starting to feel like Martin Burke) in Kansas City. In spite of Thompson's inexperience, he is a pretty sharp guy and the guys that he is trained by and associated with have lots of international experience and will really invest in Thompson to make sure that he is highly prepared for Olympic comp.

John Brown, the guy who is working with Thompson now, is the owner of Ringside Products.
8/8/11 3:20 PM
buddie
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is interesting. I have never seen the guy fight, he might be really good, but the last few olympics we have had SHW that did nothing post Olympics, I want to see someone come up and be competitive, I hope this guys is a good fighter.
8/16/11 4:07 PM
Chappie
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will be interesting to see if the U.S. team is worth a shit next year, with the exception of Mike Hunter and one or two others, it doesn't look like the team as a whole has much in the way of international experience.
8/17/11 2:37 AM
PoundforPound
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Raushee Warren should be favored in his weight class. Roach has said good things about him.
8/18/11 2:24 PM
jaseprobst
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't worry about his athleticism. Ever see Mike Tyson shoot a basketball? They showed him doing just that in an HBO preview of the Alex Stewart bout or around there. He threw up bricks.
8/19/11 11:10 PM
Chappie

Edited: 08/20/11 1:33 AM
<blockquote>jaseprobst - Don't worry about his athleticism. Ever see Mike Tyson shoot a basketball? They showed him doing just that in an HBO preview of the Alex Stewart bout or around there. He threw up bricks.</blockquote><br /><br />

Lol, I still remember that video, Tyson dribbled the ball with two hands and then proceeded to shoot the ball like a 10 year old retarded kid who had never seen a basketball before. On a similar note, I remember seeing an old video of Joe Frazier on Superstars get dominated horribly in every competition.
8/25/11 5:39 AM
Traditionalist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KRONK just had a kid win some qualifier for the olympic's. Looks good for America next year, at least a lot better than it has been!
8/25/11 2:34 PM
PoundforPound
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freddie Roach is taking Peter Quillin and some other pros from Wild Card to spar with the Olympians. That should give them some good work.

The amateur game is so different from the professionals though...I hope it doesn't backfire.
8/25/11 2:52 PM
jaseprobst
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chappie - <blockquote>jaseprobst - Don't worry about his athleticism. Ever see Mike Tyson shoot a basketball? They showed him doing just that in an HBO preview of the Alex Stewart bout or around there. He threw up bricks.</blockquote><br /><br />

Lol, I still remember that video, Tyson dribbled the ball with two hands and then proceeded to shoot the ball like a 10 year old retarded kid who had never seen a basketball before. On a similar note, I remember seeing an old video of Joe Frazier on Superstars get dominated horribly in every competition.

Glad to see someone else remembered the Tyson bball vid. It was just terrible. And what was worse, Don King MADE his 15-foot jumpshot after Tyson missed.

And, yes, Joe Frazier on Superstars was nearly fatal. Whoever let him in the pool for the swimming competition nearly caused a drowning.
8/25/11 3:28 PM
pharochuck
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i remember that vid. tyson's 'jumper' was cringe worthy to say the least. and this mike hunter kid., i stating right now this kid is the second coming of kelcie banks. you old timers should remmeber that name. new guys look him up. hubris should have been his nickname
8/25/11 3:41 PM
Traditionalist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - Freddie Roach is taking Peter Quillin and some other pros from Wild Card to spar with the Olympians. That should give them some good work.

The amateur game is so different from the professionals though...I hope it doesn't backfire.

Its weird, Ammy game. They score points, hit in 'select' points, and its more a numbers game than anything else. If you are not robotic, you are at a disadvantage.

Making them tough may work, but the time used is almost wasted. Working hand speed is a lot more important. Learning the fundamentals inside and out, as well as balance and leaning inside and out of attack range is huge.

Only out-boxers really have the 'stuff' to make it. The Pac Man of Boxing, and Floyd's automatically lose based on the point game of Ammy, which is insane.
9/8/11 3:45 PM
PoundforPound

Freddie Roach Enjoying His Work With USA Boxing
By Mitch Abramson

During his recent stop in New York, Freddie Roach, famed trainer of Manny Pacquiao, discussed his role with the U.S. Olympic boxing team, from his favorite boxers, to his desire to reverse recent history to importing his own fighters to serve as sparring partners. Roach is serving as a consultant to the team and is also involved in a trainer assistance program in which he has made his Wild Card gym in L.A available for one-on-one tutorials with the Olympians, all in preparation for the 2012 Olympics in London. Roach has spent the better part of a month in Colorado Springs, home of the Olympic training facility, working with the Olympic boxers, he said.

"We have some good guys up there," Roach said in Manhattan during a presser for the Nov. 12 fight between Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. "We're doing the best we can with the kids. They're coming along good. They're sparring with most of my fighters. What we wanted to do was give the kids a challenge. Instead of sparring the fighters who they've beaten in the Olympic trials and so forth and just dominating those guys, we felt like we had to bring in better competition to make them excel. We definitely did that and they're holding their own with the pros. And it's going quite well."

He's brought in a number of his own fighters, such as the undefeated middleweight Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillin, as well as the undefeated cruiserweight, Lateef Kayode to work with the boxers.

Roach intends to trek back to Colorado Springs on Friday to continue working with the team in preparation for the World Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan from Sept. 22-Oct. 10, the final hurdle in the Olympic qualifying process. And then, he's off to the Philippines to help Pacquiao prepare for his own fight with Marquez.

He's already grown fond of some of the fighters on the team and mentioned as his favorites, Jose Ramirez, the 132-pounder from California who beat the 2008 Olympian, Raynell Williams in the finals of the trials last month.

"We get along well," Roach said of Ramirez. "He's very talented. He listens very well."
Roach, who cannot work the corners for fights during the Olympics, also pointed to the Staten Island light heavyweight, Marcus Browne, as another favorite, along with the 165-pounder Jesse Hart out of Philadelphia.

"He loves the way I wrap his hands," Roach said of Browne. "There's a lot of good coaches out there and we're all trying to bring out the best of them to make them winners."

In July, Roach spent a few days working with the Olympian Rau-shee Warren, a flyweight, and Raynell Williams (who failed to qualify for the 2012 Olympics) at his Wildcard Gym.

Roach, along with national team coach Joe Zanders, are both trying to reverse a losing trend in London with the country's first gold medal since super middleweight Andre Ward did it in 2004.

Mitch Abramson covers boxing for the New York Daily News and BoxingScene.com.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=43522#ixzz1XOMKqCIN

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.