UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kharitonov-Emelianenko trashtalk-story developing

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/8/11 3:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hubris
361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he won't

Sergei destroys the Hep C Aleks
8/8/11 3:37 AM
newbyfan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - i dont know if it is the translation or Russian as a language but there is some great prose coming from these two;

this
8/8/11 3:41 AM
TheAlchemist
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone else read that with a Russian accent?
8/8/11 3:57 AM
K-Dub-"T"

LET US TALK BOLDLY! LIKE MEN DO!
8/8/11 6:26 AM
touch
1790 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrimeLiddellForLife - I love the translation. It sounds like poetry.

This is my favorite MMA trash talk.

WoodenPupa - 
john joe - i dont know if it is the translation or Russian as a language but there is some great prose coming from these two;

This is a profound question IMO. Apparently Google + Russian soul = genius.

I'm able to translate by myself.
8/8/11 3:44 PM
WoodenPupa
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Then you're a genius!
8/8/11 4:29 PM
touch
1790 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/08/11 4:29 PM
Oh well I'll take it as a sincere compliment. Aleks' (actually Sasha we call him) language is pretty poetic nevertheless :)
By the way, I forgot to mention some other Sergei's comments about the fingerbet that he made in another interview to the most authoritative sports newspaper in Russia "Sport-Express"

"Sergei Kharitonov: "I will gladly make a bet with Aleksander Emelianenko"

- Does this conflict influence your preparation for the important fight?

- There is no conflict, honestly. I wouldn't respond at all if it influenced my preparation somehow. It doesn't, and I'm just amused. Why should I disappoint if he's a poor Tom Fool?

- Emelianenko Jr. has already offered you a bet...

- Which one?

- He says that your words about him being sick and deprived of the fights aren't true. He offers you to cut your finger off if he is not. And if he is he will cut off his finger...

- (laughs) I will gladly make this bet. In that case he will have to cut both of his hands off.

- May be you both should take it as men?

- Wage him?! I would knock his block off with pleasure! But let him provide official documents confirming that he is healthy. After losing him because of my trauma I waged him couple of times. But every time he's ducking, running away from me. He shouted on every corner that had defeated Kharitonov which had defeated Fabricio Werdum. And it allegedly meant that he would rip Werdum apart. At the end of the day he lost to the Brazilian as a kitten - for 1 or 2 minutes.

http://news.sport-express.ru/2011-08-02/453638/
8/8/11 6:35 PM
WoodenPupa
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh do take it as a compliment.

Now that I think about it, this is much different from a Google translation. The major difference is that the meaning of every sentence is clear, whereas machine translations tend to mangle whole sentences now and then (especially when their meaning is dependent on previous sentences and can't be derived out of that context) and cause them to be totally incoherent.

I think the main source of humor and charm in all translations is the rendering of idioms, phrases and short proverbs from one language to the next. I want to emphasize 'charm' because nobody is laughing AT these translations---but with them, because they really do achieve a kind of creative energy that is only found in good literature. The text is vitalized in a way which is very hard to put a finger on---exactly the way most poetry works.

The thoughts of both men, as you render them, are very blunt and yet full of art. To most of us, the effect is amazing.

Much respect for your competence in translation. What is your native language? Did you learn several as you grew up, or add Russian or English later?
8/8/11 6:48 PM
touch

Ok thanks again :) My native is russian, I'm russian :) Learned English and Spanish.
8/8/11 7:06 PM
touch

As a matter of fact I agree with HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe. Looks like Serega couldn't get his facts straight and now may pay his finger for it :)
8/8/11 7:28 PM
WoodenPupa

touch - Ok thanks again :) My native is russian, I'm russian :) Learned English and Spanish.

That's what I thought, but I'm trying not to make any more assumptions...:)

Anyway...

Tu es el Chupacapra de traduccion!
8/8/11 7:29 PM
WoodenPupa

*hopes that sounds comically bad in Spanish*
8/8/11 7:30 PM
WoodenPupa

Welcome to the Translation Poetry Forum, 10Marlons!
8/8/11 7:30 PM
Alger Hiss
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, this is the first finger-bet I've seen in MMA.

And also, I quite literally laughed out loud at "But then he shit his pants."
8/8/11 7:31 PM
WoodenPupa

"(laughs) I will gladly make this bet. In that case he will have to cut both of his hands off."

Ah ha hahaa!

It's ON now, right? Does this constitute a real bet?
8/8/11 7:31 PM
WoodenPupa

Maybe the winner of the finger bet will let the loser off the hook by letting him make a heartfelt, humorous video.

*snickers*
8/8/11 7:32 PM
WoodenPupa

But that's probably not the Russian way.
8/8/11 7:32 PM
Freeman Dyson

"Why wag one's tongue in vain?"

LOL

sounds like Tolstoy
8/8/11 7:36 PM
Squared Circle
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Russian diminutive names.

--Squerzhy Circia
8/8/11 8:12 PM
WoodenPupa

Yes, kitten friend! Your hands are shouting very well this wager!
8/8/11 8:15 PM
WoodenPupa

Freeman Dyson - "Why wag one's tongue in vain?"

LOL

sounds like Tolstoy

LOL. I was thinking New Testament, something from Proverbs!
8/8/11 8:16 PM
WoodenPupa

Squared Circle - I love Russian diminutive names.

--Squerzhy Circia

Maybe Cirza to wrap them both together? I'm thinking of Gazza from Gary Kasparov.
8/8/11 9:10 PM
RandG

Aleksander sounds more intelligent than Sergei because he is

Aleksander has spoken of his hobbies before, classic literature and opera and things like that

Sergei is just into putting up a front and wearing camo pants

Aleksander would KO Sergei in the ring and then beat him in a chess match afterwards as well
8/9/11 4:15 AM
touch

WoodenPupa - "(laughs) I will gladly make this bet. In that case he will have to cut both of his hands off."

Ah ha hahaa!

It's ON now, right? Does this constitute a real bet?

I think he said that just because journalist's information was not correct. It's like Chinese whispers - Sasha says about fingerbet for Hep C - reporter says about fingerbet for the fact of illness and lack of fights. Anyway, from now on Sanya will keep his eye on him :)
8/9/11 4:25 AM
RandG

"lack of fights"???

he's fought 5 times since he'd supposedly "never fight again"

sergei has fought 4 MMA fights in that same time frame

people lie about stuff

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.