UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Question about knife stab...

3/18/03 4:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Mar-03
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

It seems that knives are in the news (or at least on peoples minds...) which is good (in a bad way) :-) Recieved this quesiotn at the office: writes: Hi Mr Blauer, Over the past year or so I have purchased quite a few of your tapes as a supplement to my martial arts training and they have been very helpful. One area in particular where they have helped me most is defensive knife training. The three C's (clear, control, counter) and CWCT (closest weapon closest target) have been very useful. It is so much easier to defend and attack using these principles than it is using specific techniques. However, I am still finding it difficult to defend against a straight stab directed at my face. I can't seem to clear my body as quickly against this type of attack as I can against most other types. I am also finding it more difficult to control the weapon bearing limb when the stab or slash is directed at my head. I know you don't teach techniques, but if there are any tips or principles you can give me to deal with this type of attack I would appreciate it. I have sent you a couple of emails in the past and you have always responded. I know you must be very busy so I appreciate you taking the time to do so. Thanks again. ======= Paul Paul, thanks for the email.. it sounds like your attacking the attack too late inthe timeline..you need to pick up the pre contact cues sooner, the danger is the analysis paralysis fog we all stumble into from time to time - dont spar with street problems.... :-) the secret is our STIMULUS-STIMULUS- RESPONSE principle, whereby you ask yourself, "What must happen before this happens before i need to do so & so...?" This approach gets you looking at pre-contact cues far earlier...for drills on this, the secret to 'discovering' your desirable response is in reworking and investigating the EMOTIONAL CLIMATE TRAINING DRILLS (Rage Attack tape if youhave it), also, review the info on the PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT PSYCHOLOGY audio tape. Also, there are several threads on knife concepts in SAVED THRD . Hope this helps Tony
3/18/03 9:54 AM
spc

Edited: 18-Mar-03
Tony when you say "don't spar with street problems" do you mean to stay away from forms of sparring like boxing, wrestling, and knife dueling? I am still fairly new to your material and I am unsure exactly what you mean. Thankyou Tony for your help.
3/18/03 10:48 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 18-Mar-03 11:27 AM
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Yes & no, sparring is excellent and should always be integrated into training at various points...but 'sport' based training establishes parameters and rhythms, timings etc unique to the sparring model. When you do a simulation or a more exacting 'replication' you are trying to inject as many stimuli and components present in the street... To replicate the street you need to be disciplined and strict by adhering to specific 'RULES OF ENGAGEMENT... Benny Urquidez told me in 1980: "What you practice is what you'll do." Words I've embraced and shared ever since. Our BMF (Ballistic Micro-Fight) model is an example of this approach...the drills last 5-10 seconds and build to natural speed and contact but the focus is precise. Here's food for thought: People spar for 2-3 minute rounds and will spar for several rounds...real street fights, once the actual fight has started last 10-20 seconds at the most...so how does sparring for 30 minutes prepare you for 10 seconds of fury??? Here's a real world example: A close quarter gun fight lasts seconds, you are either hit, you made hits and/or you've run out of ammo...yet most people still prepare for gun self-defense by standing on a range firing 50 rounds slowly at a target. Do you see the parallel? I train a lot of SWAT cops, soldiers etc. When we do scenarios they last 12 seconds...typically the length of most effective CQB scenarios. This same discipline applies to the empty hand (or armed) confrontation. The approach is so simple it eludes many: How do real fights happen? What's involved? How long do they last? What are the pre-contact cues, the verbal and physical behaviors present? Recreate and evaluate?. we've been developing the simulation process for over 2 decades now (read the TRANSCENDENCE thread) and this approach and its simplicity has been the cornerstone of our effectiveness (and yours too if you just apply it), curiously when we share this simple SOP which is used to develop credible confrontations many of comment how this is "common- sense", we always smile and say, "If it were common, most others would already being doing it - its in fact, un-common sense, which is why it so readily can be adopted and applied." Read more in the CONTROLLING THE BLADE thread as well there are several posts in our SAVED THRDS section on this very subject. Hope this helped. Tony

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.