UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Belfort : Akiyama KO wasn't by illegal strikes

8/10/11 11:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoeAdroit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coming off an impressive first round finish of Japan's Yoshihiro Akiyama this past Saturday in Philadelphia, Vitor Belfort (20-9) looks to return to title contention shortly. Belfort talked with CagedInsider.com on his recent fight camp and on the controversy of possible illegal strikes to the back of the head at UFC 133 that may have ended the fight.

CagedInsider.com: We hear you added gymnastic training to your regiment in your last camp. Who or What led you to implementing this type of cross-training and do you think it made a big improvement in your last fight?

Vitor Belfort: "In 1997 I met Professor Alvaro Romano who developed the method 'natural gymnastic.' A unique and very fundamental work on my breathing, mobility, flexibility, strength and agility. When I fought Wanderlei I was training with Alvaro every day and the results showed. I stopped for some time, but now Im back [training with Alvaro] and wont stop again."

CagedInsider.com: There has been some controversy that your finish of Akiyama may have included illegal strikes to the back of the head towards the end of the fight. Do you feel that it's possible that there may have been some unintended strikes?

Vitor Belfort: "In the heat of the fight maybe a strike can go to the wrong spot, but in this fight [with Akiyama] it wasn't the case for the knock out. The referee was very close watching everything. Looking back it was only one strike to the back of the head, the other was on the side, its a fight and things like this happen sometimes unintentionally."

Read Entire Article
8/10/11 11:38 AM
Rucking Fetard

It clearly was Phone Post
8/10/11 11:57 AM
Brett Rogers High Kick WTF II
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's amazing the lack of respect he gets on here. For example, after his fight with Akiyama the first thing that was mentioned were his two "illegal" punches. I've watched the fight and the gifs numerous times, and I can honestly say those shots were to the ear maybe slightly behind the ear...maybe. Instead of congratulating the guy, we just shit on him. The guy has won the belt in two different weight classes, proven himself to be dangerous time and time again - hence all of his UFC wins being finishes, competed at the highest levels of MMA since 1997 - one of only two people to have done so. If that isn't deserving of respect around here I don't know what the fuck is. 

I'll post the video and gifs below...
8/10/11 11:59 AM
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

•  
8/10/11 12:01 PM
jujubre
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why are people direspecting Vitor? I don't get it.
8/10/11 12:02 PM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gotta say guys, it helps to wait for somebody to actually disrespect Vitor in the thread before you jump to defend him.

I know it IS coming so you're not wrong, but still.
8/10/11 12:05 PM
JoeAdroit

Agreed. Hopefully this can be put to rest. Belfort's a class act and if there were any illegal blows landed they were unintended. In this case I also don't think it would of changed the outcome.
8/10/11 12:16 PM
Phil999

lol, first time i've seen these gifs and I'm neutral and I can easily see 2 or 3 strikes to the back of the head.
8/10/11 12:19 PM
Infamous Ed

Brett Rogers High Kick WTF II -  It's amazing the lack of respect he gets on here. For example, after his fight with Akiyama the first thing that was mentioned were his two "illegal" punches. I've watched the fight and the gifs numerous times, and I can honestly say those shots were to the ear maybe slightly behind the ear...maybe. Instead of congratulating the guy, we just shit on him. The guy has won the belt in two different weight classes, proven himself to be dangerous time and time again - hence all of his UFC wins being finishes, competed at the highest levels of MMA since 1997 - one of only two people to have done so. If that isn't deserving of respect around here I don't know what the fuck is. 

I'll post the video and gifs below...
I agree, some mma fans are just downright unreasonable.

Vitor did get an impressive ovation during the introduction Phone Post
8/10/11 12:20 PM
cyberc92
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL he punched Akiyama 3x in the back of the head and he did the same to Franklin.

8/10/11 12:20 PM
32Hunter

Behind the ear is the back of the head, dumbasses.
8/10/11 12:23 PM
FenceGrab
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think it has anything to do with respect.
Illegal shots are illegal, intentional or not.

We can't ignore foils for fencegrabs, nut shots, etc... just because you didn't intend for them to happen.

More importantly, if illegal shots were allowed, Kongo would be HW champion by nut knees.
8/10/11 12:27 PM
Elias Cepeda
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kind of hard not to hit the back of the head when the guy is ducking, turning away and then face first on the mat.
8/10/11 12:33 PM

Chris Power - I gotta say guys, it helps to wait for somebody to actually disrespect Vitor in the thread before you jump to defend him.

I know it IS coming so you're not wrong, but still.

Sorry dude, it's just almost every thread I've seen on Vitor in the past two days- there has been someone trashing him. I guess I'm getting a little too aggressive it's just the guy is a legend and it's hard to watch people talk shit about him. 
8/10/11 12:34 PM

thirdleg - 
Elias Cepeda -  Kind of hard not to hit the back of the head when the guy is ducking, turning away and then face first on the mat.

THIS.
8/10/11 12:34 PM
HexRei

Edited: 08/10/11 12:39 PM
true.
8/10/11 12:40 PM
DAVID H
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brett Rogers High Kick WTF II - 
thirdleg - 
Elias Cepeda -  Kind of hard not to hit the back of the head when the guy is ducking, turning away and then face first on the mat.

THIS.

Exactly. Plus some of you people actually need to watch the fight at real speed. Look at how fast Vitor was punching, combined with how Akiyama turning his head and flopping around, its going to happen everytime with any fighter...
8/10/11 12:40 PM
irishrottie
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fight was won for sure

but what makes it different to the jones vs hamill fight?
8/10/11 12:43 PM
BuddyRevell
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/10/11 12:51 PM
The last two shots were to the back of the head. However, Akiyama was already on his way out from that onslaught. 

8/10/11 12:44 PM
Paulo749
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is the second time I'm unsure of a knock down by Victor. The grazing left hook did not connect , why did akiama go down?? Ok after that shit went south quick but my first reaction was a dive. There are a few training partners that agree. What you guy think ? ( the other strange fight was with Frankling) Phone Post
8/10/11 12:51 PM
BuddyRevell
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paulo749 -  Is the second time I'm unsure of a knock down by Victor. The grazing left hook did not connect , why did akiama go down?? Ok after that shit went south quick but my first reaction was a dive. There are a few training partners that agree. What you guy think ? ( the other strange fight was with Frankling) Phone Post
A shot to the temple will mess up your equilibrium, no doubt.
8/10/11 12:51 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Exactly. This is such a non issue. If a shot was "Illegal",it was unintentional. Vitor is not a dirty fighter.
8/10/11 1:13 PM
Ep32nv
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr Doom -
JoeAdroit -  Agreed. Hopefully this can be put to rest. Belfort's a class act and if there were any illegal blows landed they were unintended. In this case I also don't think it would of changed the outcome.

This post reflects the confusion surrounding the issue.

1. Belfort is not Gilbert Yvel for sure. We have to give Vitor the benefit of the doubt, the strikes were most likely not intended.

2. Vitor was almost certainly going to win anyway, but that doesn't matter.

3. The only thing that really matters is that the strikes were CLEARLY illegal strikes that finished the fight.

4. Considering the strikes that finished the fight were illegal but unintentional - and the referee failed to warn Vitor or give Akiyama a chance to recover - there is only one fair result:

No contest.
^this Phone Post
8/10/11 1:16 PM
Brian Rule
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/10/11 1:19 PM

So that makes it okay?

Look, we all want to see exciting finishes -- and Vitor is certainly an exciting finisher. But the line has to be drawn somehow because this is a sport with rules. And like any rule, this rule either needs to be enforced or thrown out.

For the record I do not like Steve Mazzagatti's point deduction of Brock Lesnar (against Frank Mir in their first fight) because I thought that was preemptive, and refs should not be preemptive.

But in this case, Vitor CLEAN KO'D Akiyama with back of head shots. In other words, he both won the fight and caused him irreparable brain damage as a direct result of using illegal strikes.

So does that sound fair to all of you? Or are you just happy to see Vitor win with an exciting finish? Step back from your cheering section and look at the situation objectively
8/10/11 1:18 PM
Brian Rule
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/10/11 1:18 PM
double

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.