UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> ruby on rails

8/10/11 4:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Novice
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hoping you guys can help me here, I'm at the end of my tether. I've been on a course to get into the web developement side of things. Only thing is the course is awful. It's completely disorganised.

Long story short I've got a couple of days to hand in a project that involves doing a simple ecom website that can list products, add new ones and have a basic shopping cart. Has to be done through Ruby on Rails and connect to a database. They've had us using Netbeans but so far they can't make it work properly in the college labs and it doesn't work on my laptop either. Does anyone know of a Ruby developeent platform that is easy to instal and use? I've heard good tinhgs about RubyMine but I'm so close to the wire I could really do withsome advice if anyone can help.
8/10/11 6:27 PM
notsodirty
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Novice - Hoping you guys can help me here, I'm at the end of my tether. I've been on a course to get into the web developement side of things. Only thing is the course is awful. It's completely disorganised.

Long story short I've got a couple of days to hand in a project that involves doing a simple ecom website that can list products, add new ones and have a basic shopping cart. Has to be done through Ruby on Rails and connect to a database. They've had us using Netbeans but so far they can't make it work properly in the college labs and it doesn't work on my laptop either. Does anyone know of a Ruby developeent platform that is easy to instal and use? I've heard good tinhgs about RubyMine but I'm so close to the wire I could really do withsome advice if anyone can help.
Uhm, you kids and Netbeans, when did VIM not become good enough. However, to be fair, your question is better suited here:  http://stackoverflow.com

8/10/11 7:05 PM
Novice
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the link. Don't get me started on netbeans. I was on the first class of our course. Apparently the guy who designed the module quit a few weeks before class and since they're on a hiring freeze they had to look interally to fill the post. Unfortunately the guy they got to do the thing doesn't know how to use Netbeans. Turns out he's a business studies lecturor. None of the support techs knew anything about it so it never really worked. I've literally just gone through an eight week programming course but have been unable to use the language until last week. I've never seen a course go so bad.

The next round just went through and they're using a different developement platform which apparently works fine. Frustrating is not the word.
8/10/11 7:33 PM
Tidbits
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

google this: tim pope+ruby on rails

Guy is ridiculous, he used to work for me. Pretty sure he has a number of things out there that could help.
8/10/11 9:14 PM
Anarkis
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ditched Netbeans and switched to Eclipse.
8/11/11 11:08 AM
Ho Kogan

TextMate is good if you have a Mac. vim is what I use for RoR but if you don't know vim already, it's not going to help you at this point.
8/13/11 11:31 PM
HardHittingHeeb

Edited: 08/13/11 11:31 PM
Vim is excellent, but there's a learning curve. If you install MacVim you can use it as a notepad until you get more familiar. I switched from RubyMine to my old friend Vim and never looked back.
8/14/11 7:23 PM
lushdogg
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TextWrangler is what I'm using on Mac for my Google App Engine app and it seems ok.

I think Komodo has a free text editor that may even have a bit of debugging action in it.

8/27/11 11:23 AM
Titan Ape
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MacVim with janus is what I have been using lately.

I'm a recent convert to vim and have found that combo to be rather painless.

MacVim
https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim

janus
https://github.com/carlhuda/janus

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.