UnderGround Forums

MLBGround >> Question Regarding Small Market Teams + Superstars

8/10/11 4:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sawdusk
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a baseball guy but was in a conversation with someone who claimed to be one. We got into an argument regarding small market teams and the issue they would face if they drafted a bona fide superstar. The example was say the pirates or royals drafted an albert pujlos and as he approached his free agency years (and was putting up the stats he has been the past few years) (assuming they were able to financially manage his arbitration years), the small market teams would have no choice but to trade him in the last year. They could not under any circumstances attempt to keep him, correct?

My friend claimed if a team had a pujlos or lincecum and he was only 25-26 and hitting free agency, they'd find a way to keep him. I argued it would be impossible and to afford a contract that big would cripple the organization for years and years.

Can someone please offer your opinion?

Thank you.
8/30/11 2:24 PM
RKing85
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9 times out of 10, the small market team will have to trade him.

There are some occasions when they will keep them, but that's rare.
9/7/11 1:36 PM
sawdusk
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thank you for the reply.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.