UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Chael: Shamrock v Toney never happens

8/11/11 4:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Masakatsu Funaki
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On "It's time with Bruce Buffer", Chael was asked about his thoughts on the upcoming Shamrock v Toney bout.

He responded saying "I will guarantee you...as sure as night follows day...and I'll break it on your show right now: Not only is that fight not going to happen, it never was.

Ken Shamrock is going around to all of these different promoters doing his typical scumbag move, getting money up front and telling them 'I'm a [UFC] hall of famer and I don't know if you guys will continue to exist, so give me a ten grand signing bonus.' He takes their money, he goes and blades himself in the back and whatever make believe things that guy does.

Won't show up -- guaranteed he won't show up -- keeps their ten grand and moves on to the next unassuming promoter. He's not gonna fight James Toney any more than you are. He never was. That fight won't happen. Mark my words."

http://www.sherdog.com/radio/Buffer-Chael-Sonnen-2006
Start: 38:00

The entire interview is a very good listen, to be honest. Chael also discusses his amateur boxing history, Black House, his relationship with his mom, and how he, even as a cornerman, wasn't privy to Hallman's wardrobe choice. Phone Post
8/11/11 9:27 AM
Evil Intentions
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is speaking the truth...no way Shammy fights.  he'll get some injury or illness right before as he has done soooo many times in the past.
8/11/11 9:41 AM
The Notorious OMG
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cut suffered in warm-ups
8/11/11 9:48 AM
Domingo
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's likely 100% right. That's Ken going back into "small regional pro wrestler" mode.
8/11/11 9:50 AM
StratTone
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More fodder
8/11/11 10:30 AM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Evil Intentions - He is speaking the truth...no way Shammy fights.  he'll get some injury or illness right before as he has done soooo many times in the past.

I don't think Ken EVER pulled out of a fight right before it other than the Kimbo fight, and UFC 3 if you want to count that. In fact, Ken almost never pulls out of fights at any time. Any more BS you'd like to regurgitate for us?
8/11/11 10:31 AM
Radford Martel
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good interview
8/11/11 10:50 AM
Attila
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickMartelsArrogance - 
Attila - 
Evil Intentions - He is speaking the truth...no way Shammy fights.  he'll get some injury or illness right before as he has done soooo many times in the past.

I don't think Ken EVER pulled out of a fight right before it other than the Kimbo fight, and UFC 3 if you want to count that. In fact, Ken almost never pulls out of fights at any time. Any more BS you'd like to regurgitate for us?
You sure?

He pulled out of his bout against Bobby Lashley 2 years ago.

He was supposed to fight Bisping @ UFC 75 but pulled out.

He was supposed to fight Saku @ Critical Countdown 04 and pulled out too IIRC.

He didn't really pull out of the Lashley fight - he was suspended for steroids.

He was never signed to fight Bisping

I never heard of him being signed to fight Sakuraba at Critical Countdown 04 and can't find anything on it.

He did pull out of a fight with Vovchanchyn, and was replaced with Tra Telligman.

I can't think of any other fights he's pulled out of over his career. I'm sure there's a few more, but overall it's rare to see him pull out of a fight.
8/11/11 10:57 AM
Willin
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Listening now - Buffer is so full of himself that it's comical. He has such a plastic, Vegas personality.

"I don't know of anybody else except FOR MYSELF ON A GOOD DAY and maybe a few others I can name that can hold a room and an audience like you can, Chael."

Haha - Buffer, please get over yourself.
8/11/11 10:58 AM
HexRei

wtf does "blades himself in the back" mean?

also I think chael is wrong. Ken doesn't mind getting hit, he'll show for the Toney bout if he signs the papers.
8/11/11 11:05 AM
PrideFC RIP

Attila -

UFC 43 vs Ian Freeman, he was replaced by Tiger White. Phone Post
8/11/11 11:13 AM
demonbasketball04
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I said this same thing when the fight was first announced.
8/11/11 11:15 AM
shadowsfall

HexRei - wtf does "blades himself in the back" mean?

also I think chael is wrong. Ken doesn't mind getting hit, he'll show for the Toney bout if he signs the papers.

Means cuts himself so that he dont have to fight.

Ken is like Brock, doesnt react well to getting hit.
8/11/11 12:01 PM
jrock920

i cant wait for brian stann to knock chael sonnen out so we dont have to hum from him anymore
8/11/11 12:03 PM
HexRei

shadowsfall - 
HexRei - wtf does "blades himself in the back" mean?

Means cuts himself so that he dont have to fight.

Did you see the beatings he took from Tito? The guy doesn't mind playing a punching bag for a paycheck.
8/11/11 12:11 PM
Humphrey

Edited: 08/11/11 1:21 PM
Willin - Listening now - Buffer is so full of himself that it's comical. He has such a plastic, Vegas personality.

"I don't know of anybody else except FOR MYSELF ON A GOOD DAY and maybe a few others I can name that can hold a room and an audience like you can, Chael."

Haha - Buffer, please get over yourself.
i liked bruce. all the way up till I saw what a fool he made of himself on poker after dark.

his arrogance is an act. he was trying to be the shit on the show, but frequently saying things to prompt the pros to tell him how good he did. that was the biggest part. his approval seeking was just embarrasing. then he does this stupid kiss his hand and point to the sky like he said some really deep shit. And no he wasnt kidding. something about 'this is for mom' or some shit. it was just bad

all the fighters were very humble, and great to  watch. he was the black eye of it.

fyi i know the fanbois will try to rail me on this, but it's my opinion. so don't bother. 
8/11/11 12:55 PM
Dark Ryase
1431 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jrock920 - i cant wait for brian stann to knock chael sonnen out so we dont have to hum from him anymore

Got humming on the mind?
8/11/11 1:10 PM
JackG79

Don't you guys remember the Kimbo/Shamrock fight... Ken was supposed to fight Kimbo, but an hour before the fight, Ken got cut hitting the pads with a training partner, and the doctor deemed him unfit to fight... Thus comes Seth Petruzulli for the gayest K.O. in the world.... My Great, grandmother could have taken that Fade away Jab better than Kim-Blow did.
8/11/11 1:40 PM
GladiatorGannon
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seth dropped Bob Sapp with the same punch, he's good at it. IIRC, it was similar to the technique that AS fropped Forrest with, more of a cross while swittching stances than a true jab.
8/11/11 3:16 PM
kizzy

He took the hits from tito cuz he talkd so much shit he couldn't run n cover up like he has done in other fights. Did u see him fight sakuraba, Wat a embarrassment. I totally agree he doesn't like to get hit.
8/11/11 3:31 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ken has only withdrawn from two fights since he left the UFC in 2006 that he was signed for. One of them, he withdrew from an Antony Rea fight because he got MRSA, which is extremely serious. The other was the Kimbo debacle. There is only one instance that Jael Sonnen can stand on to make this point, and even then it isn't factually correct. Jared Shaw said Ken was not paid a dime for the Kimbo fight, so there goes Jael Sonnen's theory of taking money up front and bolting. He's just a troll. Sometimes he's a funny troll, other times he's just a slimeball.
8/11/11 3:36 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shadowsfall -

Ken stood in the pocket and traded punches with a bulked up DON FRYE in 2002. Then in the Tito fight, he took an epic beating but kept coming and just would not die. Ken was nothing like Brock Lesnar. 

In recent years, you have more of an argument, but that's because Ken's old now and has no chin anymore. Ken back in the day was nothing like Brock Lesnar in terms of taking punches.
8/11/11 3:39 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1

RickMartelsArrogance -

He was supposed to fight Saku @ Critical Countdown 04 and pulled out too IIRC.

I don't remember hearing this but Ken fought Kimo exactly one day before Critical Countdown 2004 so how was he supposed to fight Sakuraba in Japan that day? lol
8/11/11 3:56 PM
crowbar
835 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I`m not mistaken....Ken pulled out of UFC 3 when he found out that he would not be fighting Royce Gracie.This did not go over too well with Bob Shamrock.
8/11/11 6:21 PM
FingerorMoon
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why would Ken pull out of the Toney fight? - to protect his legacy? LOL

The fight will happen and Ken will decide to stand and trade during the boxing portion to show how big his dick is.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.