UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Analyzing chords?

12/23/11 9:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah... when I was in college I had to (try to) write a fugue for a counterpoint module. I never came up with 38 seconds that sounded nearly as good as that. Not close.
12/25/11 11:00 PM
MMA Translations
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jman great job so far!   
12/28/11 2:57 AM
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/28/11 2:59 AM
Hmmm haven't listened or worked on it in a while and not too happy with it. I actually like the "Subject" (first part) but I don't think it is going to work out so well for a fugue (at least at my current skill level).

I started actually studying now 2 voice Fugue composition (instead of just "trying it") and am realizing what I really need to be doing. I have a 4 measure subject, but I need to compose about 20 more measures or so. It is going to take me a few weeks I think.

Thanks for the compliments, it's a pain in the ass trying to teach this stuff to yourself. This is the book that I'm using now:

The Study of Fugue

1/10/12 2:07 AM
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/10/12 2:08 AM
Wrote a short two voice Fugue based on some of the stuff I've been studying in that book. Not the second coming of Jesus Christ...but doesn't suck donkey balls either me thinks:

1/10/12 9:46 PM
Ali
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah! 2 parts is way more manageable than four, clearly. The best part is, this sounds good!
1/12/12 3:00 AM
jman

Thanks, this really is more of an exercise than anything else. I like to think that is at least a "musical" exercise, but I'm more worried about the actual process and not really breaking any rules, and less about the artistic apsects of it...well that's at least me exuse for it not being better :)

Up next a three voice fugue...that's at least few weeks in the future for sure.
1/12/12 10:23 AM
Ali

Yeah -- clearly I get you're doing an exercise. Not breaking rules means you're not making something that sounds "bad" at a minimum; the rules have a reason. But within those rules you have a listenable melody (or two, in this case), too. I remember how much of a puzzle this sort of exercise is. Or was for me when I tried. And I get it's not a finished piece of music. Or else it's baroque minimulaism. New genre. Write a long catalogue of 20 second pieces and found your own school!
2/8/12 2:39 PM
hugomma
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the great thread guys, & jman, nice work on your fuges.

I studied classical guitar, play mostly rock, & want to study theory, harmony, & composition. I've heard Rimsky-Korsakov's "Practical Manual of Harmony" is a good place to start.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Hugo
3/27/12 4:55 AM
jman

Hey hugo,

Not sure, but if I had to pick one place to start studying music theory, I'd go with http://www.teoria.com

Finally finished a Fugue that I'm somewhat happy with:

3/27/12 5:02 AM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jman - Hey hugo,

Not sure, but if I had to pick one place to start studying music theory, I'd go with http://www.teoria.com

What a great website! Thanks! Nice Fugue btw! You are getting awfully highbrow ! ;)
4/3/12 7:20 AM
jman

Thanks.

Just found this a minute ago...holy shit, click on the SWF example to see the sheet music and audio embedded into the webpage.

http://musictheoryexamples.com
4/5/12 10:05 PM
jman

Edited: 04/05/12 10:05 PM
I found this webpage that has some interesting, but kind of unique subjects regarding music theory (not only the typical stuff, some pretty interesting things not found everywhere):

http://www.tonalcentre.org
4/6/12 3:10 PM
hugomma
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jman, you've been a huge help - VTFU.  Thanks for everything.  Best of luck with your music & compositions.
7/8/12 2:43 AM
jman

Edited: 07/08/12 2:57 AM
My friend finally finished the animation to the video I wrote a fugue for. Here's the final result...EDIT...sorry Vimeo doesn't seem to want to embed videos (even with "EMBED CODE") so here's a direct link:

Musica Vita Est
7/8/12 7:01 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fun amimation...
9/2/12 2:42 PM
hugomma

Just wanted to ttt this thread, as well as share a great free ear training site.  Obviously getting your ear together is one of the best things you can do, & this site is a great way to do it:

http://www.trainear.com/index.php
9/3/12 11:21 AM
jman

Very cool thanks.

I just finished almost all of the lessons on EarMaster School 5, so it's good to have something else to keep working on my eartraining thanks!

I've noticed that UNLIKE rideing a bike and other crap...at least for me, I lose my eartraining if I don't keep practicing it. Some stuff I'll keep, but other things like half-diminished chords, neapolitan sixths, augmented sixth chords, etc. I'll hear them and know there is something there, but can't nail it down.

Cool man thanks!
9/3/12 1:26 PM
hugomma

Edited: 09/03/12 1:31 PM
jman - Very cool thanks.

I just finished almost all of the lessons on EarMaster School 5, so it's good to have something else to keep working on my eartraining thanks!

I've noticed that UNLIKE rideing a bike and other crap...at least for me, I lose my eartraining if I don't keep practicing it. Some stuff I'll keep, but other things like half-diminished chords, neapolitan sixths, augmented sixth chords, etc. I'll hear them and know there is something there, but can't nail it down.

Cool man thanks!

Haven't tired Earmaster School 5, but with the link I posted, the price was right & the training was good.

I'm working on harmonic intervals now.  It's slow & sometimes painful, cause I have very imperfect pitch, but the site has been a huge help.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.