UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> WTF Windows

8/11/11 2:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
notsodirty
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/11/11 2:05 PM

Installing Windows 2008, first Windows installation since 15 years ago. And two hours later, still downloading patches! I downloaded .net framwork, which in turn forced me to download 20 additional patches.

This is why "UNIX" is better.

8/11/11 2:08 PM
Anarkis
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unix is better because you would have to downloaded packages from all over, instead of an automated solution to download it all?
8/11/11 2:23 PM
NHBDaddy
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^he's got a point
8/11/11 2:25 PM
notsodirty
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anarkis - Unix is better because you would have to downloaded packages from all over, instead of an automated solution to download it all?
All over? Explain yourself.
8/11/11 4:51 PM
Anarkis
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/11/11 4:53 PM
I think Windows Update process is better?
8/11/11 5:15 PM
notsodirty

Anarkis - I think Windows Update process is better?
The update progress is fairly decent, it's the amount of updates that are ridiculous. You should not need to spend a couple of hours after an installation patching the fucking OS.

8/12/11 12:31 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anarkis - Unix is better because you would have to downloaded packages from all over, instead of an automated solution to download it all?

Most *nix have an automated solution to update as well. ;)
8/12/11 1:50 PM
Anarkis

notsodirty - 
The update progress is fairly decent, it's the amount of updates that are ridiculous. You should not need to spend a couple of hours after an installation patching the fucking OS.

Build an image with all the patches installed. Winning :D
8/18/11 8:57 PM
crobrun
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anarkis - 
notsodirty - 

well, you are installing 2008 in 2011, so you have some catching up to do.
8/20/11 9:43 AM
notsodirty

crobrun - 
Anarkis - 
notsodirty - 

It's the latest server OS from MS.

8/20/11 12:20 PM
crobrun
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsodirty - 
crobrun - 
Anarkis - 
notsodirty - 

and it's 2011, so there have been patches and updates.
8/20/11 5:48 PM
notsodirty

Edited: 08/20/11 5:49 PM
crobrun - 
notsodirty - 
crobrun - 
Anarkis - 
notsodirty - 

and it's 2011, so there have been patches and updates.
Completely understandable, I mean, even UNIX distro. requires patching, during a period of seven years and counting, I have been forced to install two patches in order to secure various UNIX distros, these things happens to everybody.

8/23/11 9:31 PM
Humphrey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you don't have to go through the updates, if you read you can slipstream your disk to contain ALL the updates and not need to hit update at all.

there are solutions

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.