UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Initial basic elements to teach

8/24/11 6:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The damn drugs/steroids are everywhere.

It's insane what athletes are doing without a Dr's supervision. It's even crazy what SOME do under a Drs care...
8/29/11 8:45 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Frankl, I have a question. May seem a bit of a smartass, but I assure you it isn't. How do you marry up your healthy lifestyle rule of thumb with the possibility of repeated brain trauma from boxing, given boxing is an sbgi foundation? Are you worried about your state of mind in your old age?

Two obvious retorts that I don't think stand up: (1) empirical studies showing boxing is safe, and; (2) you could get serious injuries from any martial art.

(2) seems to make a category mistake. There is a difference between repeated blunt-force trauma to the head from some of the striking arts, and the techniques and training methods of the grappling arts (you may have injuries into old age from grappling, but the striking arts like boxing target the head over years, and thus the brain).

(1) Doesn't really convince me either, for two reasons: (a) medicine is one of the most notoriously unreliable sciences out there, and; (b) a brief survey of the literature doesn't really have any strong conclusions either (and if we know nothing about the complex nature of the brain and its interplay with boxing, should we not err on the side of safety and stop a black swan like dementia before they occur?)

What are your thoughts on this?
8/29/11 8:56 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

Edited: 08/29/11 8:56 AM
I'll add two supporting reasons to (1) (a): (i) via nature of induction (all inductive arguments are relativized to a body of background knowledge, at any time any reason can weaken an inductive argument's conclusions. I realise my argument probably falls prey to this as well, but I go one step further and am arguing from a background of skeptical knowledge and perceived consequences, we don't really know, and if it were true, the consequences for everyone here would be more that just bad. I mean, who here wouldn't want to stop using their brain past 60?), and; (ii) one striking case of medicine's epistemic flaws is iatrogenesis:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Iatrogenesis
8/29/11 10:32 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roly,

Those are all good questions.

First, I very rarely box. I primarily do BJJ. People have a lot of misconceptions regarding SBGi. One of them is that we are all doing the same things. It's not true. We share a common philosophy regarding training, but the things we do in our gyms and lives are often very different.

That said, I have done a lot of Muay Thai and Boxing in the past. At professional Muay Thai camps in Thailand you see very little hard contact sparring. Lots of conditioning, lots of bag work, lots of pad work, lots of clinch sparring, and a bit of light sparring. This obviously still makes for very tough fighters when the time comes. So I think both Boxing and Kick Boxing can be trained without repeated head trauma.

Now if you are talking about becoming a pro Boxer, things are different. I have no counter argument regarding the likelihood of becoming "punch drunk." But if you become a pro Football player or Olympic Judoka or Gymnast you are also more than likely going to screw up your body pretty good for the sake of elite performance in your prime. Elite athletics usually take a heavy toll, period.

This is one of the reasons I have gravitated toward BJJ. I can do it 5-6 days a week (pulled a double day today) at just under elite levels and stay (knock on wood) pretty much injury free.
8/29/11 7:46 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Over the past twelve years I have:

Sprained my ankle twice.

Broken my leg.

Had my teeth chipped.

Had my back thrown out.

Six knee surgeries (one was ACL re-construction).

Tennis elbow.

I had a horrible business model for a decade. I trained one on one with everyone who came in. I boxed guys twice my size, grappled everyone in the room, stick fought "real contact" with everyone who was at that level etc.

It was open division all the time and "everyone" wanted a piece of me.

It was a very bad way to conduct business. But that's how it went for almost 10 years...
8/29/11 10:15 PM
Roly_Poly_Puppy

John, thanks for the reply. It makes sense.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.