UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lytle enjoys first moments of retirement

8/15/11 9:02 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

A freshly retired Chris Lytle celebrates the Fight of the Night and Submission of the Night win over Dan Hardy with his family inside the Octagon. Image by Tracy Lee via Yahoo! Sports,

The kind of fighting spirit it takes to make a living getting beaten up every few months normally cannot be extinguished on a whim. It usually takes a few beatings and aggressive convincing from overly worried onlookers.

And sometimes the people in power have to make an executive decision to remove a fighter from competing in the sport he loves. This was not the case with Chris Lytle.

After 12 years in the game, the Indiana firefighter and budding politician made the decision that, at 36-years-old, it was time to step away from his life as a prize fighter and just go back to being good old dad.

He did it his way, going out with a bang by engaging in one last slobberknocker before submitting his opponent in the final round.

Read entire article...

Lytle talks retirement

"I've been fighting since January of 1998," Lytle told MMAjunkie.com. "It's all I know, I think. It's over a third of my life. My kids, that's all they've ever seen – me fighting. It's going to be real weird. I know that, and I know it's going to be very hard for me. What would have been more hard is if I didn't do this."

"I've never really seen anybody leave this sport on good terms, with wins. Everybody leaves when they get knocked out three times in a row. It's like, 'Well, that's it.' That wasn't the case. I wanted to be the only guy to ever go out on a good streak. I feel hopefully I did that.

"I had my knee hurt [this past February], and I had to take a lot of time off. I was at home a lot. When I had to get back in the gym and start training, it was difficult. Honestly, for the first time ever, I didn't want to go to the gym. I wanted to stay home and spend time with my family. I had to force myself and think, 'I can't do it. (UFC president) Dana (White) will beat me to death if I do that. I can't do it.' And I made myself go, but it was tough.

"When that was going on, I knew that I had no choice. If I don't want to be there? This is not the kind of sport (to compete in) if you don't want to be there. I felt like I was starting to slip, so I knew I had one more in me, and that was it."

"Obviously, I didn't get my title. If you're not fighting for the title, you need to reevaluate. I always have wanted that, but I definitely feel it's my time to move on to other things, and I'm going to.

"If I keep trying to go for a title, I'm going to have to change my style at some point and just try to get the win. I can't do that. I can't make myself do that. I won't make myself do that. I'd like to go out on top."

"You just try to get conservative and only throw punches at certain times and try to stay in position. I finally said, 'I don't care about that.' I'd rather lose a couple of close fights, which I have, because of that. If I would have done little things to get the win, I probably would have. But I've got some sort of sickness in my head that makes me do that. I don't know what it is.

"It sounds stupid, but I just said, 'I don't care. I'm trying to finish this fight. If it happens, it's cool. If it doesn't happen, then whatever.' Some people might say, 'You should try to win a little bit more.' But I've got to be me. I've got to fight the way I want to fight."

"I feel like I never really got the lucky break to get me where I needed to go. But I don't believe in luck anyway. I think you just need to make your own luck, and it didn't happen for me. I'm happy with my career, and I know I gave it my all.

"I still have a job at the fire department in Indianapolis. I have a family. I split up my time the best way I knew how to. I didn't ever move away and say, 'I'm going to dedicate my life to fighting.' I said, 'I'm going to do everything.' I love everything I do, and I'm going to do everything I love. I've tried to do that to the best of my ability."

Read entire article...

Lytle today told MMAjunkie.com Radio that the retirement is permanent.

"I didn't want to go out because I had to go out," said Lytle. "I didn't want that to be me.

"I'm not going to change my mind about retiring. It wasn't really a question in my mind (to begin with). I'm fortunate to be in a situation where I'm not in dire need to support myself and my family. If I were, it'd be a different situation. But thankfully, I'm not."

"This is not the kind of sport if you don't want to be there. I felt like I was starting to slip, so I knew I had one more in me, and that was it."

"I would have never really had the time away (from the gym if it weren't for the knee injury and the time at home) to pick up on what all I was missing back at home."

"It's exactly what I wanted for my last fight. I couldn't have asked for a better night than that."

Read entire article...

8/15/11 9:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chitownbjj
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He needs to avenge his loss against Ebersole...
8/15/11 9:13 AM
fabes
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chitownbjj - He needs to avenge his loss against Ebersole...

No he doesn't. He went out perfectly.
8/15/11 9:16 AM
Sudo21
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fabes - 

+1

Great fight, nice finish + 2 bonuses. Can't get better than that.
8/15/11 9:19 AM
Nameless1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A legend this Chris Lytle . Phone Post
8/15/11 9:22 AM
Nameless1

chitownbjj - He needs to avenge his loss against Ebersole...
He fought him what 4 weeks from surgery that he told no one about because he wanted to fight on and have no excuses .

Many a "fighter" could and should learn something from Chris who defines the word fighter .

And in closing you are a dumbass . Phone Post
8/15/11 9:23 AM
awilson82
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sudo21 - 
fabes - 

+1

Exactly. The perfect fight for him to end on.

8/15/11 9:29 AM
Mit
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sudo21 - 
fabes - 

+1

+1...and I'm thinking he also may have gotten a additional retirement bonus for going on on such an exciting/impressive note.
8/15/11 9:45 AM
maurader03
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great figher.....he deserves to be in the UFC Hall of Fame!
8/15/11 9:48 AM
paw
1378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maurader03 - great figher.....he deserves to be in the UFC Hall of Fame!

+1
8/15/11 9:51 AM
Shope_1990
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome career for an awesome guy.

Good luck in the future Chris! Phone Post
8/15/11 10:27 AM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for him.
8/15/11 10:50 AM
NHBDaddy
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

class act and one tough s.o.b.
8/15/11 11:00 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What an amazing guy. I was at the fights and couldn't believe the performance he put on. 36 yr. old Chris Lytle stood up with the one of the best strikers in the UFC WW div. and owned him. Not too many fighters get to end their career that way. God bless him!
8/15/11 11:02 AM
Perturbation

Immaculata - What an amazing guy. I was at the fights and couldn't believe the performance he put on. 36 yr. old Chris Lytle stood up with the one of the best strikers in the UFC WW div. and owned him. Not too many fighters get to end their career that way. God bless him!

Dan Hardy is one of the best strikers in the UFC WW div?

lol wut?
8/15/11 11:15 AM
CaSz

Chris, if you are reading this....It was the most perfect ending to an amazing career with the UFC I think anyone has had. You always brought it in the cage and I hope you make the most of your new found time with the family.
8/15/11 11:16 AM
Dublin_Huntington
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is that FrontRowBrian with him?
8/15/11 11:24 AM
CajunPest
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lytle was always exciting. He will not be a HOF with a 10-10 record but like the Oscars, he needs the Life Time Achievement award for providing us with years of fun. My god he fought in Pancrase and started the UFC back at 28. Off the top of my head only Tito has been in the UFC longer (Chuck and Randy are retired)
8/15/11 11:34 AM
awilson82
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CajunPest - Lytle was always exciting. He will not be a HOF with a 10-10 record but like the Oscars, he needs the Life Time Achievement award for providing us with years of fun. My god he fought in Pancrase and started the UFC back at 28. Off the top of my head only Tito has been in the UFC longer (Chuck and Randy are retired)

It is very rare to be in the UFC for 9 years and 20 fights.
8/15/11 11:46 AM
HELWIG

The best way to close the show is to always leave the crowd wanting more.
8/15/11 12:05 PM
Doomsday

That's how you fight, and how you retire. Well done, Chris. Well done.
8/15/11 12:12 PM
Seamus619

One of my favorites. I am definitely going to miss watching him fight.
8/15/11 12:14 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
874 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HOF
8/15/11 12:16 PM
Chuckles
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw - 
maurader03 - great figher.....he deserves to be in the UFC Hall of Fame!

+1
8/15/11 12:46 PM
BuddyRevell
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground News -

It is awesome to win every, "My Dad can beat up your Dad!" argument at school.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.