UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Acquired Brain Injury from Fighting

8/16/11 12:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sofa King Goodridge
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello my friends. I'm giving a speech this FRiday in Collingwood, ON, about my experience with brain injury.

Here is part of the article and a link to the rest. I'll be done writing my speech soon and I will post it for you all.

This is a tough sport. Unforgiving. It's not a part time gig. Thank you to Dana and the UFC crew for continuing to make the sport as safe as possible. The more education and regulations in place, the better for everybody.

Guys like me, and many more who are probably reading this post, paved the way and learned many harsh lessons. Hopefully the next generation can grow with this sport I love, and promote safety on all levels.

**** article below ****

"People often chalk it up to living with a fighter’s mentality — just roll with the punches. That is exactly what Gary Goodridge did, but in the end, his brain paid for it.

During his super heavyweight and mixed martial arts career, Goodridge estimates he was knocked unconscious at least 11 times, but there are “many times I have been knocked out, but still been able to perform,” he said.

“I’m a warrior,” Goodridge said. “That is my personality.”

In fact, Goodridge remembers standing up after getting knocked out, and continuing on with the fight. In many of those cases, once the match was finished, he couldn’t remember any details from those fights.
“You have no recollection of anything,” Goodridge said. “You can’t remember absolutely anything.”
It wasn’t until about two years ago when he began realizing the effects of those knockdowns. It was around that time he noticed people kept repeating things they said to him — “I’d keep forgetting this, keep forgetting that.”

Today, following a more than 80-fight career in martial arts, which saw him become a fan favourite in many parts of the world, Goodridge is battling an acquired brain injury (ABI).

“I had no idea how dangerous it was and what it was going to lead me to,” he said. “I didn’t realize anything.”
On Friday (Aug. 19), Goodridge will visit Monora Park during the second annual Headwaters Acquired Brain Injury (HABI) barbecue to share his story in an attempt to raise the public’s consciousness about ABIs.
HABI, which launched in October of 2009, operates as a grassroots community organization with a focus on providing social outlets for people with an ABI. It has since grown to include between 50 and 80 members. The group meets the first Tuesday of every month at Dufferin Child and Family Services from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
“We have a pretty large membership in the area,” explained Norman Phillips, co-chair of HABI. “In the time we have been around, we have probably connected with over 100 people in Dufferin County.”

According to Phillips, asking Goodridge to speak at the organization’s community barbecue, which takes place from 4 to 8 p.m. at Monora Park, was an obvious choice. With such a strong “pugilistic subculture” in Orangeville, Phillips said there is reason to believe large numbers of people are at risk locally.
“One of his main points in his speech is the fact that he wasn’t aware and he didn’t care that he has getting knocked out,” Phillips said. “A lot of fighters just do their thing. They just train, fight and if they get hurt they don’t really care. They don’t really realize it, they can be indifferent to the damage that they’re causing, and Gary was like that.”

www.orangeville.com/community/life/article/1057119--fighting-acquired-brain-injuries

Thanks my friends, be safe
8/16/11 12:29 PM
crazydave
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the best to you champ!
8/16/11 12:30 PM
japetto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for sharing!!!
8/16/11 12:32 PM
The Horror

You could take some serious punishment man. Look forward to reading your speech Big Daddy.
8/16/11 12:34 PM
seandiesel
634 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good shit big daddy
8/16/11 12:34 PM
HighBastard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for a true warrior. all the best Big Daddy
8/16/11 12:38 PM
Smith1234
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spread the word fren.
8/16/11 12:40 PM
1ChromosomeTooMany
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
8/16/11 12:47 PM
Rouge Mod
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a very important issue for all contact sports. Thanks for stepping up and good luck with your speech!
8/16/11 12:51 PM
atrocityexhibit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been incredibly impressed with Gary Goodridge's honest and public discussions of his issues with brain injury. It's one thing to talk abstractly about the dangers of concussions, but another to hear it directly from someone like him. I have to imagine this will have more of an effect on up-and-coming young fighters as well. Maybe they'll be more aware of what they're putting their body through and take necessary precautions after a rough sparring session or tough fight. It's a term that gets thrown around a lot around here, sometimes jokingly, but Gary really is being incredibly "good for the sport" doing this.
8/16/11 1:16 PM
The Horror

8/16/11 1:19 PM
Caddock
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A triple T because Gary is sofa king good for the sport and this forum.

Looking forward to the speech, and that book GG. Keep us in the loop.
8/16/11 1:22 PM
beanouno
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/16/11 1:23 PM
smth416
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks Gary

This will only do good for our sport.
8/16/11 1:26 PM
Attila
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You da man, BD. You're doing a great service by sharing your experience.
8/16/11 1:42 PM
Turd Furguson

TTT for a true legend and pioneer. its great to see the thought and care coming from the old guard to the next generation. this is what is going to grow the sport, learning from the success AND mistakes of the past and continuing to improve going forward
8/16/11 1:49 PM
Man vs Net
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gary, how do you feel about a fighter's union? If for nothing than than the possibility of a group health insurance for retired and lesser-known fighters.
8/16/11 2:39 PM
mixedmartialfarts
534 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome for you to be speaking out about this Gary. With voices like yours we can hopefully continue to make this sport as safe as possible. Phone Post
8/16/11 3:06 PM
Jampage Rackson

As someone who fell down a flight of stairs and spent six months in bed due to a massive concussion, I feel your pain. Having that much stress on your brain is awful. I hope that the effects as you age aren't too severe. You'll fight through them regardless. War Goodridge! Phone Post
8/16/11 3:07 PM
Pro Ice
1932 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
8/16/11 3:14 PM
Moose Knuckle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always have been and always will be a fan of Big Daddy.
8/16/11 3:15 PM
The Mongoose
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mucho props Gary. You a king on the UG, and greatly respect your humor in taking a sn bet, and keeping sofa king Phone Post
8/16/11 3:19 PM
molsonmuscle360
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad that you are in a better position Gary then some guys recently in my other favorite sport hockey. In the last two months two of the top enforcers (fighters) in the NHL have passed away with the issues that they were facing being the result of concussions. I personally have had 5 concussions and still suffer from post concussion syndrome to the point where I get migranes at least once a week and have had depression issues over the years.

Thanks for getting the word out on head injuries Gary. It means a lot to the sports world. Especially in Canada.
8/16/11 3:20 PM
MedMan007
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You continue to be as courageous out of the ring/cage as in it. Thank you for continuing to be an advocate Mr. Goodridge.
8/16/11 3:24 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm simply baffled by all concussion related syndromes we hear about these days. Now, they are VERY real, I just don't get how we didn't hear of this before. I mean boxing, hockey and football have always been brutal sports.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.