UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Got rocked in practice, do I have a concussion?

8/18/11 11:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
itwasalaughriot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Today we were all going hard in Muay Thai practice and I got hit fairly hard like 6 times to the head, one of them fairly harder than the others. I have a slight headache, but I'm not exhibiting any other symptoms( no dizziness, I remember everything that happened, no nausea). I'm just a hypochondriac with this stuff and I was wondering if I should go to sleep tonight and stop being a pussy or head over to the hospital.
8/19/11 10:46 PM
Horus2001
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.houstonpress.com/2011-08-18/news/knocked-out/

decent article about concussions and sports...
8/29/11 5:15 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

If you are not throwing up and you can remember everything I think you are ok. Who is coaching this? If you have a legit coach he should have noticed if you got your bell rung and checked you himself. I have a headache from sparring or fighting a lot. The few times I have had legit concussions. Once from a headkick in an "exihibition" match against Ronnie Copeland when I was 17 and in an amatuer boxing match when I was 21. It was a whole different level of headache. The first one made my puke about 20 times. The second one I did not have the nausea as bad, but it took my coach about 4 hours to explain to me that I was in a boxing match and had got stopped with a crushing left hook. It was my first open division fight.I will say this, I never went down from the punch.

sorry for the lack of paragraphs
8/29/11 5:15 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

So probably you are ok.
8/29/11 5:16 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

lol, just noticed this was from 10 days ago. Are you still alive?
9/4/11 1:34 PM
MrMuayThai83

do you wear head gear when you're sparring? If you're taking hits like that, maybe you should. Keeping your hands up might help a little too.
11/16/11 2:49 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A friend of mine did his thesis for his masters degree on concussions. When he asked me to proof read it he had a list of 10 symptoms that if you had any you likely had a concussion. We had a good laugh about that because I remember several time leaving boxing with three of four concussion symptoms and not thinking a thing about it. One time after a fight I almost completely lost my vision, that was scary for a couple of hours. I have never had a diagnosed concussion though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.