UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Why are BMW motorcycles so expensive?

8/19/11 6:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Road Warrior Fin
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the styling and look of them but at the same time the prices for them are fucking silly compared to other bikes.
8/20/11 1:29 AM
Jay ak
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are put together very nice like a Mercedes or BMW and work smooth and last a very longtime. Check out the new 1000RR, their first try at the super bike market, did very well considering it was their first bike, They over engineer everything.
10/25/11 5:51 PM
pm1964
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yay on the 800GS.

BMW makes bikes that are made to be ridden hard and long. That's why you see so many in use as police bikes. They generally don't break down. You just get on, fire it up, and ride as far and as fast as you want.
10/25/11 7:21 PM
Missing Glove Tape

pm1964 - 

Yay on the 800GS.

BMW makes bikes that are made to be ridden hard and long. That's why you see so many in use as police bikes. They generally don't break down. You just get on, fire it up, and ride as far and as fast as you want.

+1

In BMWs(especially the GS models) you get go-anywhere performance, reliability, and luxe/comfort on a platform with mileage comparable to automobiles(ie: have you ever seen a harley, crotch rocket, or dirt bike with 100-120k miles on a motor that's had minimal maintenance/repairs, much less without a complete rebuild??).

What I suggest anyone do who wants to know/understand BMWs(and their pricepoints), is read/watch "Long Way Round" w/ Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman. They basically overloaded and beat their bikes(R1150GS) half to death in/on some of the most difficult and hostile riding environments imaginable, and the BMWs came through it better than anyone, imo, could have imagined they would.

I'm poor, so I am, of course, a KLR guy. But I made a promise to myself that before I die I will own(and do my own epic trip with) a (then current day) R1200GS.
11/8/11 1:32 AM
Missing Glove Tape

For the guy asking about the 800GS, here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQSq6IHr2Gk

Have fun! ;)
11/13/11 8:14 AM
maui
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check Harley prices if you want sticker shock ,my next bike will be a BMW
12/13/11 3:10 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Real fat old men with beards and too much money ride harleys. ;)

And FWIW about reliability in terms of a street bike hondas run as long as you want with basic maintenance. There are tons of F4, F4i's, VFRs, goldwings, etc... piling on miles. The sportbikes usually just get wrecked or people get bored before they hit higher mileage. There was a guy that put 100k on an F4i in 3 years on sportbikes.net

Long way round and long way down should be required viewing for any motorcycle rider.
12/13/11 6:14 PM
pm1964
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow...a big_slacker sighting!
12/15/11 9:54 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm still around, pretty active on the IT forum and S&C. :D

I have nothing to brag about on this forum, our family car is a Tiguan and I currently have no fast toys. Next year I'm thinking either a 2 door Rubicon or a modded 335i. I'm actually leaning towards the jeep at this point.
1/24/12 12:17 AM
White347LX

Harley engines don't last real long, jap bikes will lose transmissions eventually, but I've only seen BMW bikes die from crashing.
3/20/12 6:56 AM
NinjaNate

I like the BMW GS series but I'll be getting a Vstrom 650
3/22/12 5:08 PM
big_slacker

I had an SV 650, same motor. You'll love the wee-strom. Sit upright in comfort, keep up with about anything on 4 wheels, handles freeway or fireroads. One of the best pound for pound do it alls out there.
4/26/12 2:09 AM
lazermonkey
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White347LX - Harley engines don't last real long, jap bikes will lose transmissions eventually, but I've only seen BMW bikes die from crashing.

You don't know much about newer Harley Davidson engines huh?

Take a look around and you will see some HD's with a shit ton of miles on them. :)
4/26/12 2:45 AM
White347LX

I know you can buy blown up Harleys at every NPA auction. Bad engines are rare for any other brand, but expected with Harleys. I would say it has something to do with air cooled engines, but no other brand has a tenth as many bad engines at the auctions. The only bad jap engines I expect to see at auction are in ATVs that have been beat to shit, swamped and rolled over.

People don't buy Harleys if they really plan to ride. If they do, they're choosing the wrong tool for the job.
4/26/12 1:25 PM
pm1964

Here's another vote for the V-Strom. Excellent bike. I had one, but made the mistake of getting the S model, which had me leaned forward too far, so it hurt my wrists after about 50 miles. I sold it, but the motor in that thing is great. As big_slacker said, it will keep up with anything in the twisties, but will obviously have trouble keeping up on long straights with liter bikes that are being opened up.
4/26/12 2:00 PM
lazermonkey
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

White347LX - I know you can buy blown up Harleys at every NPA auction. Bad engines are rare for any other brand, but expected with Harleys. I would say it has something to do with air cooled engines, but no other brand has a tenth as many bad engines at the auctions. The only bad jap engines I expect to see at auction are in ATVs that have been beat to shit, swamped and rolled over.

People don't buy Harleys if they really plan to ride. If they do, they're choosing the wrong tool for the job.

How many BMW motorcycles do you see on the road as opposed to HD?

Living here in Illinois I don't see BMW all that often. Harley Davidson? EVERYWHERE.

I really think it is hard to compare when there is 100 to 1 (or greater) ratio of HD to BMW on the roads.

4/26/12 10:59 PM
White347LX

No doubt about that, Harley's outnumber all other brands 10:1 around here, too. Im just saying Harley's don't live well as a high mile machine. Engines shouldn't blow up at all, especially not low performance engines that aren't stressing parts with decent power at higher rpm. The failures I've seen are quality issues like cam lobes ground away, cam bearings scored/locked, burned pistons, bad rings, bent pushrods, etc. Although some of those issues may be from over reving or, lean mixture after exhaust change, theyre still problems you don't see on other brands which face the same situations.
5/15/12 7:06 AM
MarthaF

Edited: 05/15/12 7:11 AM
BMW uses carbon fiber components in its M3 coupe that can produce higher mpg ratings. As of now Ford Motors has agreed to a relationship with Dow Chemical Co. The duo will produce lighter, stronger carbon fiber components that will significantly assist the automaker in reaching national gas mileage goals. Carbon fiber has also been used in race cars for some time.
7/28/12 1:16 PM
Authority Figure

SoiCoWbOy - I want an 800GS. Yay or gay?

In Europe, South America, Asia or Africa "yay".

In the U.S. "gay"

BMW motorcycles are built incredibly well. Just like their cars. That's where the price disparity occurs.
2/23/13 10:54 PM
Authority Figure

2/24/13 1:13 AM
White347LX

BareBackMountain - There is NOTHING like the sound of an American V-Twin roaring between your legs . No other bike has the history and the heritage of Harley Davidson.

No jap / euro bike could ever replace a Harley.There is nothing like it.

Different strokes for different folks. I ride for fun, not for a fashion statement. Harley doesn't make anything that provides the thrill that even the "slowest" 600s give in spades. Harley doesn't make anything to compete in any area of performance, at all.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.