UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> Advice for serious choice.

8/20/11 3:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
anthiak
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So long story short I'm enrolled at a 4 year college and I'm a junior. I have to continue school part time and find full time work that can pay the bills because I now have a baby on the way. I'm a Computer Information Systems major.

I think starting in the spring I'm going to enroll at a local Community Tech college for a certification program. They're all 21 credit hours or less and they provide the certification testing covered by financial aid which my current school doesn't. The certs could get me a good job in the mean time and I could always go back for the degree just to prove to myself that I did it; plus I'm sure a BS would help me rise in whatever field I enter.

Is this a good idea? I mean it seems like the best means to my end in this situation since I need to get my shit together before my kid enters the school system.
8/20/11 4:04 AM
anthiak
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess some other advice I'd like is; money wise, what cert path should I go for initially? I like most computer fields. They offer a ton of different cert programs. The comptia stuff, ccna, microsoft certs, security, etc. I live in the greater chicagoland area so it's not like I won't be able to find work in any of these fields.
8/20/11 11:42 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want advice, mine is to suck it up and finish the degree. Certs and entry level jobs are the easy part, college is rough to finish with a career and family.

And seriously, you've got a baby on the way. Trust me on this one dude, you want to do as much time consuming things (like school) BEFORE that kid is born. Babies introduce a special kind of chaos, plan killing and anti-focus that you have yet to experience. :D
8/20/11 2:57 PM
reagan123
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not saying this is true everywhere, but in my area, most jobs require a college degree to get the interview. I'd stick it out and finish the degree if possible.

If you stop now, It will be very hard to go back later.
8/21/11 11:29 PM
anthiak

well the thing is I won't be stopping. I'll just be transferring schools for 2-3 semesters. I'm a part time student either way and for all I know the courses I take after transferring will transfer back and apply towards my BS.

IDK. Ill get it figured out. Thanks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.