UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Can someone recommend a good gun safe?

8/22/11 3:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rocky Dennis
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watching the recent rioting in the UK, it brings me much comfort to know when it hits America I will be prepared for these thugs if they try to break into my house.

I am concerned however with stowing my Remington home invasion shotgun and .40 cal sub compact H&K away saftely so my 3 year old doesnt get a hold of it.

In my mind, I envision a key pad type lock that I can punch in the number and not have to worry about finding a key for entry.  Does anyone have any good advice for a quality gun safe?
8/24/11 12:46 PM
Dehoc

Edited: 08/24/11 12:47 PM
The price point of a safe with a more advanced quick-open mechanism(biometric, simplified key pad, etc) kind of sky rockets when you need it on a safe large enough to fit a long gun.

So, were I in your situation and had the two firearms you mentioned, I would go the following route :

-Buy one of the small pistol safes made by Gunvault, mount it into your bedside nightstand and keep your H&K & a flashlight in it. They offer models with simplified key pads with raised buttons that make it possible to imput a combination by touch when its dark. They also have biometric models. Not sure if they are considered as reliable as the keypad models at present.

-Buy one of the skinny and relatively affordable gun lockers made by Stack On. It may feel lightweight & flimsy in a store, but mount it into a corner [into both walls] and it's not going anywhere. Keep the key to it in your handgun safe. This puts it out of contention as a 1st choice in a worst case scenario where you have no time at all to react, but it could still be what you fetch in instances where you're not sure there is a problem and decide to go investigate something you heard.

Combined, you shouldn't need to spend more than $275-$300 total on both safes.
8/24/11 1:48 PM
Rocky Dennis

Great.  Thanks man
9/18/11 4:57 PM
jscorbett
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bought a winchester safe at Sam's a few years ago for only about $600. It's the real deal.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.