UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royce Gracie wants one more UFC fight

8/23/11 10:39 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

There's only one fight he wants, and only one organization that can give it to him. Even though Gracie realizes that time is running short to make it a reality, he hopes to have a shot to avenge the one loss he still thinks about. He wants to fight fellow legend Matt Hughes.

"That's the only one," Gracie said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "I want to be able to show up to the fight. [Last time], I didn't show up. It happens."

Gracie said that the first fight against Hughes -- a first-round TKO loss at UFC 60 back in May 2006 -- was the only time in his career he didn't have his A-game, not peaking on the right day.

"That's the only one missing," said Gracie, who avenged his only other in-ring loss by defeating Kazushi Sakuraba.

read entire article...

8/23/11 10:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cuhulain
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's the only one missing," said Gracie, who avenged his only other in-ring loss by defeating Kazushi Sakuraba.

too bad California wasn't able to overturn fights at the time.
8/23/11 10:50 AM
ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know the loss that bothers him most is the one to HH. Probably still scared to this day.

As long as he thinks zhoo-zhitsu is all you need to prepare he won't get a shot from BLAF.

8/23/11 10:51 AM
JTfromCharlotte

Would be 10x worse then Matt/Renzo
8/23/11 10:51 AM
Muay Tired
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why, so he can ruin my boyhood image of his supposed-invincibility? Ok, I was really in my mid-20s when UFC 1 occurred, but still...
8/23/11 10:55 AM
FerrozzoFan

i love and respect royce but he doesnt belong in the Octagon anymore, unless against someone from his own time like shamrock, frye,coleman etc. MMA has passed him buy and BJJ isn't enough anymore. even low level JJ guys in the UFC would just power out of most of his subs. and Royce likes to fight from his back and that just wouldnt go well (matt hughes) for him anymore with these young pups dropping elbows on him.

not to mention he says he wants to fight be he wants 1bazillion dollars. the UFC just wont pay that, and he isn't worth that imo

time to hang them up Royce. you've got nothing to prove and i fell like this is just him trying to make a paycheck
8/23/11 10:59 AM
Neph

Umm no.

Same thing as last time.

8/23/11 11:07 AM
RocknRolla

one more payday
8/23/11 11:12 AM
Hairy Kerry
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems like there are special Gracie rules in the ring/cage and also outside the ring/cage as to what constitutes a win or loss. Sakuraba, Howard, Yoshida.

The world according to Gracie.
8/23/11 11:18 AM
dcase

No thanks.
8/23/11 11:22 AM
SecondBase
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/23/11 11:22 AM
<blockquote>RocknRolla - one more payday</blockquote><br /><br />
8/23/11 11:32 AM
Tommyunited
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TriumphUnited.com, MarketingCoordinator
Neph -

Umm no.

Same thing as last time.

. Phone Post
8/23/11 11:33 AM
icarus92

What pisses me off about Royce is that it's very obvious that for him, it's not so much about a desire to compete or an inability to come to terms with the fact that it's time to hang 'em up. All he cares about is getting that final epic payday
8/23/11 11:41 AM
rezzz
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With the money he is asking ... dream on Royce!

Matt would pummeled him into oblivion again.
8/23/11 11:42 AM
ausgepicht

icarus92 - What pisses me off about Royce is that it's very obvious that for him, it's not so much about a desire to compete or an inability to come to terms with the fact that it's time to hang 'em up. All he cares about is getting that final epic payday
Yep. Now the sport is paying fighters 6 figures, so he wants some of that. Problem is that he doesn't want to WORK for it, he just wants it given to him. He doesn't want to train all aspect sof MMA, he doesn't want a few fights against top guys and work for the fights he wants. He wants a hand-out.

No.

8/23/11 11:45 AM
Nasz

He want to hype this, so it would happen..But nobody is waiting for this man.
8/23/11 11:47 AM
MrMcPeach
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he wants one more fight that badly then I'm sure if he'd be willing to fight for say $24k to show and $24k to win, Dana would put him on a card.

If he expects to get 500k or whatever then he needs to wake up.
8/23/11 11:57 AM
Tito Or Tease

LMAO at Royce beating Sakuraba.  He quit the first time they fought, had to take roids and won a decision.  Not sure if he ever appologized for cheating or pulled a Brian Cushing. 
8/23/11 12:01 PM
SecondBase
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let him be a coach on TUF but by no means should Royce be fighting again.
8/23/11 12:03 PM
ausgepicht

Tito Or Tease -  LMAO at Royce beating Sakuraba.  He quit the first time they fought, had to take roids and won a decision.  Not sure if he ever appologized for cheating or pulled a Brian Cushing. 
Let's not forget getting the HH fight scrubbed from his record. Weak sauce.

8/23/11 12:06 PM
MasterofMartialArts
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When is he avenging his HOWARD loss?
8/23/11 12:07 PM
MasterofMartialArts
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why are you guys saying he wants "one epic payday"?
When did he say this?
All he says is that he wants to avenge that loss.
Seems pretty humble to me - but i agree about him not working for that fight, and just getting it handed to him.
8/23/11 12:09 PM
MasterofMartialArts

TITO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - He should be fighting Ken. He's been ducking ken long enough.

You mean when he destroyed him in the first fight?
Or when the second match went to a draw because Ken was stalling so he didn't get submitted?
8/23/11 12:11 PM
Silverball
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To make this rematch happen, he'd have to fight at least one other time. If Royce could get a win against an active 170 pounder first, and do so in an impressive fashion (or just submit him), then the UFC hype machine could probably sell the Hughes fight based on Royce's taking MMA serious in 2011. You only need to imagine for a moment a scenario where Royce could use his bjj to submit Hughes, and from there you can sell it to a mainstream UFC audience.

Hughes would destroy him worse than he did the first time they fought, and I have no interest in seeing it, but there are ways to make it happen.
8/23/11 12:24 PM
Gondul
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd pay to see it but only if Hughes loses to Sanchez first. If he can beat Diego then he deserves a tougher opponent for sure. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.