UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> help please! my attorney had himself removed

8/28/11 10:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DLfromCanada
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm charged with Impaired and over 80

Trial was for last Thursday (Toronto 1000 Finch), but on Tuesday but my lawyer filed a motion to remove himself as the attorney of record which the Judge Granted so the lawyer essentially took all my money, did nothing, and ran

back in court next month to set a new date for trial, don't know what to do as there is no way in hell I can get enough cash for a new lawyer by then, I told the judge this on Thursday and asked for 6 months but he said no

any and all advice will be much appreciated
8/28/11 5:57 PM
jbapk

I'm not sure what you mean by ran, but assuming the attorney didn't flee the state call him and demand your money back, if he doesn't send it contact your states bar association and find a malpractice attorney.

You can find out if you're eligible for a public defender, try to find a pro bono attorney from your local legal aid offices, or see how far out you can push the trial and see if you can get someone for a low retainer.
8/28/11 7:37 PM
DLfromCanada

my fees recourse is via the law society of upper canada, it's a lengthy process

not eligible for a public offender, pro bono is next to impossible to find here

i am in fact trying to delay proceedings as much as possible so any tips there would be appreciated

the trial has now been delayed twice (each time on the day of no less) and both the crown (prosecution) and the court want this thing to wrap up asap

9/15/11 1:09 PM
Subadie

For me to withdraw from a case, a client has to do something REALLY bad. What did you do ?
9/17/11 11:09 AM
DLfromCanada

i ignored his email communications for a few days the week preceding trail ...ok so i should not have done that..i get it

i was too stressed to deal with some of his numerous bs

i've filed a complaint with the upper canada law society and received notification that an investigation has begun

pending the outcome, i'm considering taking out a running ad at the places he advertises telling my story as well as creating flyers to distribute around his circle...

this is a guy who advised me to plead not guilty from the time i met him to the morning of the first trial date at which time he did an about face and said to plead guilty 20 minutes before trial

in the meantime, another attorney suggested i write a letter to the prosecution explaining my circumstances as a compassionate grounds plea and asking for a reduction in the charges

i've done so and thought it was a good idea especially considering the fact that i'm pretty sure my ex attorney never made the effort to get such a deal

this guy has done some shady things and my belief is that he just wanted my cash and never planned on doing anything to actually help me and then filed to withdraw the first chance he got

9/19/11 12:50 AM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DLfromCanada - pending the outcome, i'm considering taking out a running ad at the places he advertises telling my story as well as creating flyers to distribute around his circle...
Your decision making skills need some work. Do you really think it's a good idea to possibly defame an attorney?

9/24/11 10:24 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, you may not want to defame an attorney if you have to get another one. Just like people talk about attorneys, attorneys talk about difficult clients.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.