UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Paul Harris Said That Dan Miller Told Him "STOP!"

8/28/11 2:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
J-Tee
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/28/11 8:43 PM

and that's what caused the premature celebration according to blaf (ariel post-fight interview).  Seriously???

UPDATE:

UFC 134 Post Fight: Rousimar Palhares Says He Heard ‘Stop, Stop, Stop’ So He Did

Rousimar Palhares

Rousimar Palhares

Rousimar Palhares picked up his second consecutive win on Saturday night at UFC 134 in Rio, but not without a strange moment along the way.

After dropping Dan Miller with a punch in the middle of the first round, Palhares followed up with a flurry of shots while his opponent was down on the ground.

Referee Herb Dean rushed over to keep a close eye on the action, but after landing several shots Palhares just let up and started celebrating. The Brazilian leapt to the top of the cage and raised his hands in victory.

The only problem…Herb Dean never stopped the fight.

Palhares then got dropped by Miller after the restart and had to fight his way out of being finished. In the end, Palhares pulled out a unanimous decision win, but not without a bizarre start to the fight with an almost finish.

Following the event, Palhares explained why he celebrated prematurely in his fight with Miller when speaking to UFC.com.

“He said, ‘Stop, stop, stop’ so I stopped,” Palhares said about referee Herb Dean. “I thought the fight was over so I jumped onto the top of the cage.”

Upon replay, Dean definitely runs in to keep a close eye on the action, but never raises his hands or steps in to motion that he was going to stop the fight. Dean also never appears to say anything while Miller is down on the ground and Palhares was standing over him.

The crowd in Rio was loud and stirring during the event, so any number of possibilities could have occurred where Palhares thought he heard somebody yell stop, but unfortunately for him it just didn’t appear to come from the referee.

Regardless of that moment, Palhares was able to regain control and win a unanimous decision victory over Miller. Confident in his ability, Palhares was happy to maybe event count his fight at UFC 134 as two victories.

“God is on my side,” said Palhares. “So I can win once, twice, three times.”

8/28/11 2:38 PM
J-Tee
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/28/11 2:39 PM
 ^^hmm..dan probably assumed that herb really stopped the fight.
 I question Paul Harris' credibility
8/28/11 2:45 PM
Gullivers Travels
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

King Koopa - It was pretty weird that Miller just turned his back and walked away for a second after Palhares stopped punching. If he didn't verbally tap, I wouldn't think anyone would turn their backs in a fight.

Except for the fact that he had just been punched in the face a ton and was likely dazed, having no idea Herb didn't actually stop the fight...
8/28/11 2:46 PM
JasonGV
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan's behavior after Paul harris's celebration was a little strange.

Aside from his monstrous strength and leg breaking antics, Paul harris is always interesting to watch because there's a good chance he'll do something nutty.

8/28/11 2:48 PM
JOB
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck Paul Harris. Dan Miller is a warrior. I don't believe a word that comes out of Palhares mouth.
8/28/11 2:48 PM
AmericanPsychoMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

King Koopa - It was pretty weird that Miller just turned his back and walked away for a second after Palhares stopped punching. If he didn't verbally tap, I wouldn't think anyone would turn their backs in a fight.

Yeah it almost seemed like Dan thought the fight was over when he was screaming F-ck!
8/28/11 2:49 PM
J-Tee

Gullivers Travels - 

Except for the fact that he had just been punched in the face a ton and was likely dazed, having no idea Herb didn't actually stop the fight...
+1

8/28/11 2:55 PM
Mattapooh
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AmericanPsychoMMA - 

Yeah it almost seemed like Dan thought the fight was over when he was screaming F-ck!

I actually saw that as "What the fuck!?"
8/28/11 3:00 PM
molsonmuscle360
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone did yell "Stop" just before Palhares jumped off, but to me it sounded like it was coming from the cageside.
8/28/11 3:02 PM
32Hunter
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOB - Fuck Paul Harris. Dan Miller is a warrior. I don't believe a word that comes out of Palhares mouth.

^that.
8/28/11 3:05 PM
Leonardo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Palhares said that he heard Miller screaming, he also said that this will never happen again .... that is not good for his next adversary, people will complain that when hold his submissions :)
8/28/11 3:14 PM
Devlin
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what is it with paul harris and dodgy fight outcomes, he's either breaking legs or taking breaks to talk to the ref or celebrate.
8/28/11 3:15 PM
Kostakio
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Palhares is a strange dude. Can we all agree on that? Phone Post
8/28/11 3:16 PM
ChicagoTom
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone definitely yelled stop. It sounded like herb but I didn't have a clear shot of his face Phone Post
8/28/11 3:21 PM
J-Tee

And here's UFC President Dana White's reaction to all this madness:

"I said, 'This is f*cking crazy. I've never seen anything like this before.' I was tweeting about it while it happened. It's the second time that he's done... And then, could you imagine... First of all, he does that. In no way shape or form did Herb Dean stop that fight or even come close. He didn't even make a move toward them to stop that fight. He runs over and jumps on top of the cage like he won, comes back, then almost gets knocked out. Just like he did against Nate Marquardt. It was crazy. I mean, Palhares, I went back and told him, 'You don't stop fights! The referees stop the fight.'"

8/28/11 3:41 PM
Rucking Fetard

He just said that so he wouldnt seem so stupid Phone Post
8/28/11 3:50 PM
JonesChris1990

it was wierd but i think that dan miller made a sound and was screaming or that someone in dans corner said stop. ithink that paul harris thought miller had enough even dan miller thought the fight was over so that tell you something there.
8/28/11 3:52 PM
I am a 10 wuts dis
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He heard Dan say "Stop", but he didn't hear Herb Dean telling him 5-6 times not to grab the cage?

What about the eye poke?
Or the bell at the end of the round?
8/28/11 3:52 PM
Jons Forsberg

Toquinho = ADHD.
8/28/11 3:54 PM
Rampage23NTT

He understands "stop" but not a bell or a tapping on his leg? Yeah right. Phone Post
8/28/11 3:55 PM
molsonmuscle360
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana telling Palhares that only the ref stops his fight means I really hope the next guy he is fighting has sub defence or he is gonna lose his leg.
8/28/11 3:56 PM
J-Tee

Dan should've powerbombed Paul Harris when he was on top of that cage
8/28/11 3:58 PM
RandyIsMyDad
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should have Tank Abbotted him and tried to push him out.
8/28/11 4:14 PM
TopChute
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan Miller got up, turned his back to his opponent, walked towards his corner and mouthed "fuck".

He didn't follow Palhares when he got off him. That tell me Miller thought the fight was over because he did verbally tap.
8/28/11 4:27 PM
J-Tee

TopChute - Dan Miller got up, turned his back to his opponent, walked towards his corner and mouthed "fuck".

He didn't follow Palhares when he got off him. That tell me Miller thought the fight was over because he did verbally tap.
really? u don't see the possibility that he thought Herb stopped it?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.