UnderGround Forums

Indiana Underground >> Indiana Dead Now

9/28/11 11:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ironbear
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well the only thing I have to say about the old days is you have to get experiance some where and the tougher guys realize what it was about. Meaning the risk reward factor when you are trying to get noticed. You do what you have to do.
11/25/11 12:28 PM
CageCraze
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compared to surrounding states, Indiana is definitely lacking in some activity.

Before becoming regulated, Indiana was out of control. I practically begged for things to change. Through the years, I have witnessed quite a few disturbing events, activities and practices. The most disturbing and unfortunate part is the fact that the negative outweighed the positive.

“Careful what you wish for”, takes on a whole new meaning. Before the regulations, CageCraze.com was thriving and full of activity from the community. During the months of hiatus, the activity lessened greatly. We still have not recovered fully from that. We get the same amount (if not more) hits to the site, but not the activity. With that being said, I feel the pain of those who felt that “closing up shop” was the only option. In a sense, I lost a lot of business too. We lost a few good promotions out of all of this, and that is even more frustrating for me as a fan. Not to mention that when there are events, we write articles and that in turn generates readers and awareness for the social network. I have many opinions on this subject, but the true fact of the matter is there is nothing that we can do to change those events. The only thing that we can do is come together as a community, collectively be active in discussions about what is working and what isn’t and work together to make Indiana MMA “alive” and thriving again.

Stay Active,

-ShaneO
11/27/11 10:56 AM
Tony_Johnson

"The only thing that we can do is come together as a community, collectively be active in discussions about what is working and what isn’t and work together to make Indiana MMA “alive” and thriving again."

Amen.  :)

11/28/11 12:39 PM
GKilgore

Indiana MMA is NOT dead, Kombat Zone 32 Pro Am was a huge success on Black Friday. Three ammy belt fights went the distance and Spiece Fieldhouse is a great venue. The sport will survive and continue to evolve. I have fought in those strip bar shows for "those" people that are no longer here. I learned first hand that fighters need to be treated fair and with respect. The state has helped bring uniformity and fairness to promotions across Indiana. All I know is that successful shows are still happening, like any business...we too adapted. It was sink or swim, so if you sank then maybe there was a reason.
And by the way...my five kids and my wife...plus Todd and his family...do run the concessions and the door. This is family to us...so are the guys that fight from our gym and in our shows.
12/1/11 3:23 PM
Black Belt Wrestling

Kombat Zone 32 was great.
12/2/11 10:26 PM
bbyslvrbk
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Colosseum Combat is putting on great shows. You have Hoosier Fight Club in Valpo, Legends still going in Indy, AFA in Ft Wayne. I am sure I am missing more Phone Post
12/4/11 12:38 PM
Jeff Malott
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/11 12:38 PM
 I think a good analogy to look at is the stock market.......

.......  even though the stock market may drop and loose value, you really only loose money when you sell your shares .......

So, Indiana MMA will live as long as we do not sell our own shares ( contribution ) in it 
12/4/11 1:04 PM
bbyslvrbk
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good point Jeff, put your time into your community mma. We are the ones that keep it alive Phone Post
1/24/12 4:29 PM
illini89i
492 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
1/24/12 4:43 PM
illini89i
492 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shire - Various...MY shows, the ones I promoted were operated very well, well matched, proper med check, DR at ringside, quality refs etc.

I have assisted or announced at many fights I was not proud to be at, some of those were very bad, but I was there to help as I could.

Mikeike185: What I wrote is not BS, i miss typed i started NHB, I meant I helped start NHB, years ago with starting NHB guys on our kickboxing shows because there was not enough fighters to fill a card. By rules hurting ammy's I mean getting all the blood tests ($), registration 45 days in advance and paying an organization to monitor. The PKC officals around the state were all trained and certified as such, most of us are still helping with fight shows now too.
As for organization ....I guess if the promoters are not well rounded fight people, then yes they should have oversight...I just know that I always used people whom had been there done that.

Insurance...BIG cost to promoters...softball players dont get insurance to play, nor basketball the list goes on. My point on AMMYS is that...they are ammy and many are giving it a try to see if they like or can handle it. Too much regulation always kills things.

I know about the real bad shows....that had drunks get in the cage or refs that allow a certain team to break rules to win. YES, glad the State came in for that reason.

As for Lytle, Lapsley and others, ANY promoter from back in the day had a hand in helping their career.

Shire, your profile doesn't give your name. May I ask what it is?
Also how can you compare MMA ammy's requirement of needing insurance to ammy bowling and basketball? Those two are not combat sports, you don't need a doctor and EMT's courtside at those events..
2/12/12 11:54 AM
Black Belt Wrestling

Ultimate Training Academy at 5005 Industrial in Fort Wayne. 2 mins from Putt Putt. Want to learn grappling from a Division 1 wrestler?? Call Anton Talamantes 260.310.9213. Boxing & BJJ as well.
9/19/12 12:00 AM
Shire
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just went ot my first event in two years.....not bad...meaning the state handling did not seem to harm the event.
9/19/12 1:56 PM
illini89i

Shire - I just went ot my first event in two years.....not bad...meaning the state handling did not seem to harm the event.
You never answered my question. Phone Post
9/27/12 10:58 AM
zombieinkslinger
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
9/30/12 10:44 PM
Shire
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My name is Randall W. Duhamell
42 yrs MA experience, 11 years as Indiana Asst. Director of Kickboxing for PKC. In that capacity I traveled the midwest as top official (1 of 6 in US) to monitor and supervise events. As a trainer I had 5 National Champions, 18 Eastern US champions 23 Indiana State Champions, and and earned the PKC National Trainer of the year award in 90-91. I ranked in top ten as a fighter (Master division) back in 1996-97 season. In mid 90's we started NHB competitions by having NHB fighters in kickboxing shows, I started the Kombat Zone MMA events had many up and comers over the years. I have been busy with my career in Law enforcement, training police officers since 1991. In 2007, I was the only MA guy invited to State Capital to open subject of MMA with the then Boxing Commission, and then testified 4 or 5 times on the matter with Senators/State Reps and the like. I was not happy with their rules, and being involved in 5 or 6 areas (trainer/manager/promoter & announcer) and stepped aside so I could get my retirement without incident. I retire tomorrow, and start a new job. I assisted Dan Severn start his Danger Zone events years ago as well. IN 2008 I was inductee into the United States Martial Arts Hall of Fame. Dont mean to sound like an ass, but I have experience and knowledge. You may be an experienced and knowledgeable person, but so many people here talk shit without having a clue! I hope this answers your questions.
10/1/12 10:14 AM
baby-silverback

Mr. Duhamell, do you know what Becky Levi has been up to? I haven't spoken to, or seen her in years. She always did square business & hope she is doing well Phone Post
10/1/12 10:21 AM
Shire

No sir, I do not know what she is doing now. Last I knew was a few years ago, she was coaching somewhere in Ft. Wayne. For the past two years I have been extremely busy with my career and going to school. Today is my last day at my police department. I start a new position next week.
10/1/12 11:23 AM
baby-silverback

Thanks, i fought for Danger Zone when my fighting career first started. Dan & Becky both were good to me & it was always great to fight for them. I miss days like those Phone Post
10/1/12 8:35 PM
illini89i

Shire - My name is Randall W. Duhamell
42 yrs MA experience, 11 years as Indiana Asst. Director of Kickboxing for PKC. In that capacity I traveled the midwest as top official (1 of 6 in US) to monitor and supervise events. As a trainer I had 5 National Champions, 18 Eastern US champions 23 Indiana State Champions, and and earned the PKC National Trainer of the year award in 90-91. I ranked in top ten as a fighter (Master division) back in 1996-97 season. In mid 90's we started NHB competitions by having NHB fighters in kickboxing shows, I started the Kombat Zone MMA events had many up and comers over the years. I have been busy with my career in Law enforcement, training police officers since 1991. In 2007, I was the only MA guy invited to State Capital to open subject of MMA with the then Boxing Commission, and then testified 4 or 5 times on the matter with Senators/State Reps and the like. I was not happy with their rules, and being involved in 5 or 6 areas (trainer/manager/promoter & announcer) and stepped aside so I could get my retirement without incident. I retire tomorrow, and start a new job. I assisted Dan Severn start his Danger Zone events years ago as well. IN 2008 I was inductee into the United States Martial Arts Hall of Fame. Dont mean to sound like an ass, but I have experience and knowledge. You may be an experienced and knowledgeable person, but so many people here talk shit without having a clue! I hope this answers your questions.
I asked what your name was, and how you can compare non combat sports like basketball or bowling with a combat sport like MMA, and why those other sports didn't have a Dr at the events. That comparison was pretty silly to me. Phone Post
10/1/12 8:36 PM
illini89i

baby-silverback - Mr. Duhamell, do you know what Becky Levi has been up to? I haven't spoken to, or seen her in years. She always did square business & hope she is doing well Phone Post
I ran into Becky earlier this year in Ft Wayne. It was pretty cool to catch up with her, I think she is some kind of fitness instructor. Phone Post
10/1/12 8:37 PM
illini89i

And how the heck are you -1 Joel? I'll vote you up just to get you back to even. Phone Post
10/1/12 9:47 PM
baby-silverback

Doing great! Hell i didn't even know i was -1..... Hard telling who it was, alot finicky assholes on this board. I'm working alot & in the gym working on my bjj. Other than that i don't do much, but with jiu jitsu, you really don't need much else :) hope all is good with you, hopefully see you soon! Phone Post
10/1/12 9:49 PM
Shire

The comparison may have printed odd, but the thought was clear: other amatuer sports (many where people get hurt) do not have medics or doctors there. Me and many of my friends that helped promote events all had medics and doctors ringside, with good quality judges who know the sport.

State Licensing does not ensure good officials.

We push kids into baseball for example, no doctors, no ambulance standing by..yet kids get hurt, even sometimes killed at such events. Why make ammy adults go thru stuff they agree to on their own free will, and not mandate protections for kids sports?
10/1/12 11:42 PM
illini89i

So you think it should be ok to just go to a park and put on fights, like pick up basketball games with no insurance and medical personnel? Just because they are adults and shouldn't have to go through that.
That sounds safe. Phone Post
10/2/12 10:21 PM
Shire

No! What i meant was that many promoters have long ties to fighting sports; they know the fighters, trainers, and people that can judge fairly and properly. Most promoters I know...have experience in fighting as well, got older and started promoting events to advance the sport. Experienced fighters/trainers can make a card, get good judges and medical staff on scene to handle the event. We did not need the government to get involved to tell us how to do what we love! Government NEVER makes private events better. However, sometimes the people involved to get it right using the rules established by the government, but not because of the government, because they love and know the sport.

Whats your name illini891?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.