UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Racer, Das, Ali? Ive been away

1/29/12 4:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha, it works if you bang your head while saying it.

That's pretty cool, I keep expecting an ecstasy head to sneak up from behind and hug me.
1/29/12 4:23 PM
Ali
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/29/12 4:40 PM
You should be banging your head listening to that ANYWAY. And seriously, just launch into that section of Lust for Life from 0:45-O:50 in the Egor thing. It works pretty well. The solo is cool -- that long thing from a bit before 2:30 in. Probably that's what you're really talking about anyway -- psychedelic garage slop.

I've never been hugged by an ecstacy-head, but... yeah... that's kinda the world of that Little Axe music. Dude is named Skip McDonald, he's 1/3 of the former band Tack>>Head, and also (surprisngly to me when I first learned it) of -- the same trio when they were called -- The Sugar Hill Gang. Yup, hotel, motel holiday inn... (in his youth).
1/29/12 4:48 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rock it out baby to the boogie da bang bang Sugar Hill Gang?
1/29/12 4:55 PM
Ali
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the one and only, yeah, LMAO
2/1/12 4:13 PM
DasBeaver

Hey Ali, check out this local dude.
I caught him one night playing a crappy little bar like the one in this clip to maybe 15 people

2/1/12 11:07 PM
Ali

Edited: 02/01/12 11:16 PM
Holy Crap. Thanks for hipping me to that. Definitely in that Danny Gatton/Brent Mason mould. [EDIT - duh... it's a Brent Mason Tune!] Is he as versatile as those guys?

I've been listening a bit to Jim Campilongo, another "master of the telecaster" dude, though he rarely plays fast (just often enough to show he *can*)... I like him a lot, but wish he did more of that Piticco thing!
2/2/12 9:48 AM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn. That guy can play!
2/2/12 9:59 AM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the Brent Mason and Danny Gatton stuff with all the licks and tricks..I also like `ol Redd Volkaert.
2/2/12 10:07 AM
Ali

That's cool, Hillbilly, getting their Jimmy Bryant/Speedy West on!
2/2/12 10:13 AM
DasBeaver

Sweet man! I've been getting into country swing lately. Who are the guys to listen to?

Yeah Ali, he's pretty well rounded. I asked him about lessons and he said for the past five years he's been trying to get rid of students. He started raising his price to get people to quit, and eventually he got up to $180/hr and he still couldn't get rid of them all.

I've only heard Jim Campilongo on the Little Willies albums, he is really tasty, in my old age I appreciate that a little more than the guys who melt my brain. When they can do both - perfect!
2/2/12 10:24 AM
Ali

Edited: 02/02/12 10:25 AM
Little Willies gives you a good idea of what Campilongo is about. Dude's got a string of records -- I have two of them. They're uneven, but when good, very good. (Like most everybody -- very few records are just great front to back).

I'm with you the aged-tastes thing, actually. I still listen to "burning fusion" guys, but not as much, and more a lot of tunes that I didn't used to so much.

Hillbilly can tell you lots more about Western Swing than I, I'm sure. But I will put in a vote for Bob Wills' "The Tiffany Transcriptions" series, and a best of Spade Cooley, in whoever's release of one of those. And again, Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant (if you dig that pairing of Volkaert and Cashman).
2/2/12 10:25 AM
Hillbilly

Well of course the "guy" was Eldon Shamlin (Bob Wills).. My ex`s ex Wayne the Train Hancock usually has hot pickers with him. Scotty Anderson, etc..

I`ve been stuck on Lester Young lately. I have a box set that has been playing almost constant for the past few months.
2/2/12 10:27 AM
Hillbilly

Spade Cooley was quite the man too. Killed his wife when he thought she was cheating on him with Roy Rogers.
2/2/12 10:28 AM
Ali

Lester freakin' Young. I've been listening to Basie Decca recordings as much as almost anything since around 1991. It's not like there are lengthy Lester solos (but then again, those were 78s, not a lot of length for anybody back then). But Lester is defining of what's great on those records.
2/2/12 10:29 AM
Hillbilly

gotta dig those outfits.. Leon Rhodes was a killer.
2/2/12 10:33 AM
Hillbilly

W/Willie
2/2/12 10:34 AM
Ali

Edited: 02/02/12 10:34 AM
No video here, but you don't need it

2/2/12 10:39 AM
Hillbilly

I have a box set of those guys too.. I listened to it for months. Love that stuff..
2/2/12 10:41 AM
Hillbilly

Been listening to Lenny this morning.
2/2/12 11:30 AM
Hillbilly

Hay have ya`ll heard this guy yet?
2/2/12 11:53 AM
DasBeaver

Wow, that's incredible!

Thanks for all the tips, I've got a Speedy West/Bryant album called Stratosphere Boogie which slays me, but only a passing acquaintance with Bob Willis and never heard the others.
2/2/12 12:14 PM
Hillbilly

Not very good quality, but it`s hard to find much of Tommy Crook because he doesn`t travel. But geez what a monster. He learned from Leon McAuliffe (Bob Wills`s steel player).
2/2/12 1:52 PM
DasBeaver

Watching him play is like watching the end of the Benny Hill Show when they chase each other around over Yakety Sax.
2/2/12 1:57 PM
Hillbilly

When I lived in Tulsa I used to go watch him all the time at a tiny little restaurant. Amazing especially if you catch him before he`s had too many Budweisers..;)

Johnny Carson asked Chet Atkins if there was anyone better than him. He said "Yes Tommy Crook from Tulsa OK".
2/3/12 10:17 AM
Ali

Those guys are insane. You hipped me to Tommy Crook a long time ago.... Rory Hoffman is new to me. The chordal stuff is just mind blowing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.