UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> This forum is absolutely pointless.

9/4/11 5:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shemhazai
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not only was it unnecessary to begin with, but there is ZERO traffic here.
9/4/11 10:48 PM
Tap21
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love this forum!!!!

A lot of BJJ guys say you are not doing BJJ if you are not using the gi. That's fine with me because I call what I do grappling, or submission grappling, or submission wrestling, or no-gi grappling.

But, if you only have an "Atama BJJ" forum, there is effectively no forum for guys who grapple without the gi. There would be no forum representing the style of grappling done by a lot of guys including greats like Jake Shields (obviously Cesar Gracie still thinks it's BJJ), Josh Barnett (who has only done a tiny bit of gi competition lately), and the Avellan Brothers. That doesn't seem right when there are forums for almost every other type of grappling commonly practiced by mixed martial artists in North America.
9/5/11 8:12 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shemhazai,

I don't think you're being open minded enough. If you train gi for many years under a famous bjj instructor, get your black belt, then take off the gi--oh, except for the pants because real nogi is just too darn slippery--then I think this forum is just perfect for you.
9/5/11 12:09 PM
Shemhazai
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tap21 - I love this forum!!!!

A lot of BJJ guys say you are not doing BJJ if you are not using the gi. That's fine with me because I call what I do grappling, or submission grappling, or submission wrestling, or no-gi grappling.

But, if you only have an "Atama BJJ" forum, there is effectively no forum for guys who grapple without the gi. There would be no forum representing the style of grappling done by a lot of guys including greats like Jake Shields (obviously Cesar Gracie still thinks it's BJJ), Josh Barnett (who has only done a tiny bit of gi competition lately), and the Avellan Brothers. That doesn't seem right when there are forums for almost every other type of grappling commonly practiced by mixed martial artists in North America.

Please tell me that you're trolling. The vast majority of BJJ techniques are the same with and without the gi, and someone experienced in both formats will know how to convert almost any technique from gi to no gi. Besides, it's not like no gi specific topics are never covered in the BJJ forums, as most BJJ guys train no gi as well.

Now, if you're asking for a forum only for the guys who are completely ignorant to gi training and would rather be spoon-fed information that doesn't come with confusing references to any of that stupid gi stuff that they don't want to learn, I guess that's fair. However, I think the lack of activity on this forum proves such a niche market to be pretty marginal.
9/5/11 9:03 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Duuude! Don't forget the gi pants.

We need to call it "halfgi" not "nogi"!
9/6/11 4:58 AM
Tap21
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shemhazai - 
Tap21 - I love this forum!!!!

Please tell me that you're trolling. The vast majority of BJJ techniques are the same with and without the gi, and someone experienced in both formats will know how to convert almost any technique from gi to no gi. Besides, it's not like no gi specific topics are never covered in the BJJ forums, as most BJJ guys train no gi as well.

Now, if you're asking for a forum only for the guys who are completely ignorant to gi training and would rather be spoon-fed information that doesn't come with confusing references to any of that stupid gi stuff that they don't want to learn, I guess that's fair. However, I think the lack of activity on this forum proves such a niche market to be pretty marginal.

Not trolling. I don't train in the gi, but I love no-gi grappling. This forum is for guys like me.

The real question is why anyone would want for this forum to be gone so badly.

As far as technique goes, I would point to the fact that there are websites for both Greco and Judo. Sure, it is Possible to do any given Greco moves while wearing a gi. But, a lot of the time, as a practical matter, Judo guys tend to do things a little bit differently because of the grips provided by the gi and the rules in their sport.
9/6/11 5:06 AM
Tap21

John Frankl - Duuude! Don't forget the gi pants.

We need to call it "halfgi" not "nogi"!

I applauded the way you went after Mickey Choi. In fact, I believe I even related some info to you on another forum regarding an encounter I had with him in the U.S.

But, I don't wear gi pants, and I love having a dedicated no-gi forum.
9/6/11 6:15 AM
John Frankl

Edited: 09/06/11 6:17 AM
Sorry about that. I am just having a bit of fun.

I think that any forum that people find useful and fun should and will stay around.

I just find the whole "nogi with gi pants" because nogi can be too slippery thing sort of ridiculous and hypocritical.

I also do about 50-50 gi and nogi, and love them both. But I don't see myself dividing my academy into two halves, or Marcelo starting two different websites, for that matter.
9/6/11 11:51 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

agree on the half gi thing, claiming no gi this and no gi that but still wearing gi pants is strange, we need a half gi forum also!

personally I wear shorts, but also gi top with the sleeves cut off and cut like a belly shirt, sort of looks like a vest, I call it quarter gi
9/7/11 1:03 AM
Tap21

^^^hahaha. If all the chicks wore "quarter gis", I would be a lot more attracted to gi training.
9/7/11 2:52 AM
John Frankl

liquidrob,

I bet you have some awesome quarter gi chokes that make traditional gi training for MMA obsolete.
9/7/11 7:22 AM
Shemhazai

Tap21 -

The real question is why anyone would want for this forum to be gone so badly.

I don't necessarily want it to go, but it needs more activity and actual technique-related content to stay relevant. Renato Laranja vids don't count.

Tap21 -As far as technique goes, I would point to the fact that there are websites for both Greco and Judo. Sure, it is Possible to do any given Greco moves while wearing a gi. But, a lot of the time, as a practical matter, Judo guys tend to do things a little bit differently because of the grips provided by the gi and the rules in their sport.

I never understood this (often used) analogy. Greco and judo are nothing alike. 90 % of the most common judo moves are ILLEGAL in Greco.
9/7/11 10:54 AM
John Frankl

I think Eddie used the Greco Judo thing and everyone else is just parroting.
9/7/11 11:47 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Frankl - liquidrob,

I bet you have some awesome quarter gi chokes that make traditional gi training for MMA obsolete.

I have a book coming out soon on my system, just a sample would be the 'Sleeveless Sleeve Choke' and 'The Britney Spears'
9/8/11 5:23 AM
Shemhazai

John Frankl - I think Eddie used the Greco Judo thing and everyone else is just parroting.

Yeah, I've heard him use that analogy several times as well. I thought Eddie would know better.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.